Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2018, 20:02   #226
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: The Pubs of Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Just spent ages reading thro this old thread, and it brings up a question or two or three, one I asked Dobbo years ago, the Railway pub on Blackburn Rd facing Eagle St was in existance before the railways came to Acc in the middle 1840's, What was its name, don't think Dobbo came up with the answer.
Donkeys years ago when I was indexing parish registrs and the local census returns, I started to create a list of all the names of Yards, Courts, Terraces. Ginnals, Back streets, Pubs, Clubs and ale houses, by that I mean any premisis that sold Camel Pee and needed a licence, I think Doobo borrowed it once fur summat, not sure where it is now appen int library. Final question mainly for Cashy how many Atlantic Oceans have you drank an peed during your life. I can just imagine when they put you in your final resting place, you'l have a pint glass in each hand, and your coffin lined with bottles of your favourite tipple. Just a pity coffin lid won't be big enough to have the names of all your drinking holes on it. Long may ye drink yu owd swigger.
Hey mate i aint had a drink fer a few years now,reckon i'm being paid back or summat. I got a form of neuralgia thats alcohol triggered, so thats how i come to that conclusion.
Old 12-03-2018, 21:13   #227
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hey mate i aint had a drink fer a few years now,reckon i'm being paid back or summat. I got a form of neuralgia thats alcohol triggered, so thats how i come to that conclusion.
Flamin Eck Cashy thurs no justice is thur, just look at allt brewery's thas kept running trying tu keep up wi thee. I've never drunk beer in me life, an look at me ave tu tek pills fo a dicky ticker, diabetis, blood pressur, watter works, thyroid, an ave tu keep gedding me leg dressed fur sores thad werned heal.
Near mind am tekin oer fro yon Satan wen mi times up, so tha con eve a top job wen tha comes, tha con be me trident bearer,
an tha prod them as we dom't think are sufferin enough. I've already geet a lot o names on me list, appen tha con add some more.

cashman and Big Dave like this.

Last edited by Retlaw; 12-03-2018 at 21:16.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 21:19   #228
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Just spent ages reading thro this old thread, and it brings up a question or two or three, one I asked Dobbo years ago, the Railway pub on Blackburn Rd facing Eagle St was in existance before the railways came to Acc in the middle 1840's, What was its name, don't think Dobbo came up with the answer.
Donkeys years ago when I was indexing parish registrs and the local census returns, I started to create a list of all the names of Yards, Courts, Terraces. Ginnals, Back streets, Pubs, Clubs and ale houses, by that I mean any premisis that sold Camel Pee and needed a licence, I think Doobo borrowed it once fur summat, not sure where it is now appen int library. Final question mainly for Cashy how many Atlantic Oceans have you drank an peed during your life. I can just imagine when they put you in your final resting place, you'l have a pint glass in each hand, and your coffin lined with bottles of your favourite tipple. Just a pity coffin lid won't be big enough to have the names of all your drinking holes on it. Long may ye drink yu owd swigger.
Retlaw believes that the Railway pub was originally called the Spread Eagle, a name later given to a pub a short distance from the Railway. He could well be right, but I have never seen anything to support his theory. I have twice tried to get Thwaites to dig out the original deeds. If he is right, then the name Eagle St can be explained. I don't know any other reason why that street is so called. Possibly it is a veiled reference to the eagle on Lord Derby's arms. He was a mighty powerful man in early Victorian England.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 23:45   #229
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Retlaw believes [knows] that the Railway pub was originally called the Spread Eagle, a name later given to a pub a short distance from the Railway. He could well be right, but I have never seen [because you sken like a basket of welks] anything to support his theory. I have twice tried to get Thwaites to dig out the original deeds. If he is right, then the name Eagle St can be explained. I don't know any other reason why that street is so called. Possibly it is a veiled reference to the eagle on Lord Derby's arms. He was a mighty powerful man in early Victorian England.
Dobbo I hate you, when I research sumat I keep going till its no longer possible to go any further, and I did find proof, as for Thwaites and deeds, some of those old so called deeds back in the early 1800's were not like the deeds we know today, many were lost or destroyed and new ones made, many of which don't have original names on.
Several properties round where I live no longer have their original deeds, and the have no idea who the original owner or builder was or when they were built.

Old 14-03-2018, 10:00   #230
Senior Member+

I hasten to point out the correct spelling is whelks.
Old 14-03-2018, 23:48   #231
I am Banned

Quote:
I hasten to point out the correct spelling is whelks.
So wod, tha new wod a ment, an tha still skens, an tharugly tu boot,
Old 15-03-2018, 09:54   #232
Senior Member+

Where can I buy nerve agent ?
Old 15-03-2018, 10:04   #233
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Where can I buy nerve agent ?
Moscows got plenty give Vlad a bell.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 02-06-2018, 18:20   #234
Full Member+

I have seen a reference to The Red Lion pub which used to be in the old PC Tubes building in Abbey Street, does this ring any bells?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 18:48   #235
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
I have seen a reference to The Red Lion pub which used to be in the old PC Tubes building in Abbey Street, does this ring any bells?
You are correct in that the tyre place was formerly the Red Lion. Not sure when it ceased to be a pub.

As previously mentioned what we need is a website dedicated to our pubs and club - there is a superb one on Preston pubs.
Old 02-06-2018, 21:01   #236
Full Member+

Tyre place? The building I was referring to is at the top of Black Abbey Street.

I did create a list of pubs with the help of some members on here but it clearly isn't complete. See the 'Accrington Pubs Link', in my signature.

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Old 03-06-2018, 07:15   #237
Senior Member+

Yes - top of Black Abbey. It was built to cash in on travellers using the new turnpike, mid- 1700s.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:36   #238

Quote:
Tyre place? The building I was referring to is at the top of Black Abbey Street.

I did create a list of pubs with the help of some members on here but it clearly isn't complete. See the 'Accrington Pubs Link', in my signature.
The tyre place was George Klarksons tyre firm. Remember this from the early fifties to late sixties.
By the way Klarkson was an Accringto Stanley director when the club folded up.

Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 13:15   #239
Full Member+

Quote:
Only at last orders.
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:56   #240
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
The tyre place was George Klarksons tyre firm. Remember this from the early fifties to late sixties.
By the way Klarkson was an Accringto Stanley director when the club folded up.

Cheers
I remember Clarksons Tyres but when Mark had it under the railway arch on Hyndburn Road and then later up Church Street. Where was the business when George had it?

Tags
closed pubs, public houses, pubs

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..