Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2015, 21:10   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Model Lodging House At Church

I am not convinced that there was a canalside lodging house at Church
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2015, 01:31   #17

I know what you mean Bob-there is a lack of direct evidence from the building itself or anyone with any memories/stories. On the other hand it was hard to get any info re my place in Rammy for a long time. Maybe "decent folk" don't want to recall any association with hard times.

The Hyndburn Council report [Adopted in June 2008] "Church Canal Side Conservation Area Application and Management Plan" does indeed focus on Church but it's tone doesn't convince and the understanding/committment is questionable... plus it manages to coincides with the total financial collapse in that year, just when they were finally trying to do something-apparently.

To my mind, although somewhat patronising and written in archi/conservation speak it does seem historically valid and detailed. In Appendix 3, photograph 19 definetely shows the building at 55-57 Blackburn Road I'm talking about [currently with Right Move at £249k] and on the other side of Simpsons Bridge from Hargreaves Mill. It is described as the Model Lodging House-late nineteenth century. It's identified as a key building in the report! The Right Move description points out that the space on three floors is often subdivided into small areas [rooms] with walls that are not load bearing so they could be removed. This is how it would have been built as a lodging house in that period I suspect with partitions probaly built directly onto the floor boards, I've seen this before! Circumstantial but convincing evidence. Perhaps I can get in for a look?
Dave W
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 05:43   #18
Senior Member+

This is helpful towards proving it was a lodging house but I stlll have doubts. I think it would be worthwhile- but time consuming- to further explore for evidence. No time now to do it or reply in further detail. Good on you for finding this
Old 22-08-2015, 19:18   #19

Smile Re: Model Lodging House At Church

Ok Bob thanks for that! I'll report any progress. I'm in the same position down in Sussex but I shall seek assistance.
Dave
Old 23-08-2015, 11:11   #20
Senior Member+

Ask Accrington library to see if there was an obituary of the lodging house keeper if you know when he died, or if they have anything on him - a cutting maybe. [email protected]

Search the Blackburn newspapers on-line using keyword 'lodging house' or 'model.'or the keeper's name. Also ask Blackburn library if they have any cuttings on the chap.They may have a file on obits.from the papers
Old 23-08-2015, 19:54   #21

Thanks Bob-time and location as ever but I'll will try to keep on it. There was a radical Vicar on Blackburn Road. He seemed to have difficulty because he was more interested in helping people than arguing about the structure of the Church. I'm sure he must have been involved with the MLH at some point.
Dave
Old 24-08-2015, 06:26   #22
Senior Member+

David Hogg's books on Church & Ossie may refer to it.
Old 24-08-2015, 22:15   #23

Will check that but I took the book to Rammy and I'm in Sussex just now!
Dave
Old 05-10-2015, 16:06   #24

Still on sale but that's no surprise. I'm back in Rammy soon so I will take another look perhaps. For some reason Church District has really caught my attention. Not just because of a possible family link or the Lodging House connection but maybe that I remember when Rammy was considered a bit of a lost cause.
Dave W
Bob Dobson likes this.
Old 06-12-2016, 18:20   #25

Hi Dave,
I note this is an old thread and I've no knowledge of the Church MLH. However my Great Grandfather is recorded on the 1901 census as lodging - with many others at 8 Paradise Street, Ramsbottom. A widower at 22,he moved there from Oldham sometime between 1891 and 1901
wadey likes this.
MovedtoBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 19:47   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedtoBolton View Post
Hi Dave,
I note this is an old thread and I've no knowledge of the Church MLH. However my Great Grandfather is recorded on the 1901 census as lodging - with many others at 8 Paradise Street, Ramsbottom. A widower at 22,he moved there from Oldham sometime between 1891 and 1901
I have several photos of the Ramsbottom lodging house if yoy need any

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rossen...-aKxEiP-aGTeg8

In 1911 it was "Model Lodgings", run by a Mr Kipling and accommodating 37 males and 26 females. The word "institution" is added to the description.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 18:46   #27

I've not posted on the Accy Web since October 2016 [it seems] but managed a quick visit in September. Got some more great pies at the shop in Henry Street and walked along the Canal, with my brother, to Hargreaves Mill. We were pleased to see that the Model Lodging House next door has been renovated. A couple of what seemed to be employees turned up but we were on the wrong side of the road at that point. Who's purchased it and for what purpose? Has anyone any up to date info to share?

The front of the building has been cleaned which doesn't seem to have damaged the very faded inscription over the door any further but it's still impossible to read. I asked about that once before but nobody seemed to know anything. Are there any overall up-dates about Church District in general I wonder? Is THE Church [Kirk] still boarded up and on sale? All responses welcome. I'm away from home at present so not able to check things out myself.

Sorry I'd failed to notice the two previous posts from Bolton and Wadey [ you wait for one post and two come along at once!]. I've identified the G Grandfather of a woman who lives near me in Rammy as a Resident at my home in 1891 as well and the photos sound interesting. I will get in touch with both helpful respondents directly as I doubt they will be watching the thread. I'm still focussed on the Church Lodging House of course.

Dave W
Bob Dobson likes this.

Last edited by Dave Walsh; 04-11-2017 at 18:55.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..