Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-11-2018, 11:40   #46

Re: Wellington Bomber production in Accrington?

Hello Mike I hope that you received my private message in answer to yours, if not please let me know.
Yours Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-11-2018, 10:54   #47

Glad that you received my pm Mike, I am not very adept with this Bill Gates machine yet.
Yours Taddy
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 09:08   #48

Seemingly so... lol

The building the bombers were made in had and still have asbestos roofs.
Worries you a bit when you have to go work there.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:36   #49
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norahs Lad View Post
I have a photo of my mum on what I presume is a works outing. Before the war, she worked at the cotton mills before moving to H&B to "rivet Wellingtons" as she would put it. As such, I'm not sure whether it is a Mill outing or an H&B trip; they both must have given the workers some breaks; also I had heard that H&B looked after their workers.

My mum, Honora Maguire at the time, is seated front centre; with her older sister, Margaret, immediately behind

Here is another photo of Honora and Margaret (both on the right) which, I believe, was taken near to their house in Plantation Road.

Margaret lived in Huncoat and married a gentleman called Harold but I'm sad to say that I've left it too late to find out anything more about them, except that they moved to Towneley Avenue.

cheers

Mike
I was born in 1944 at 79 Plantation St Accrington. My father, Robert Maguire was born in 1917 at 44 Grange Lane Accrington. He was a machinist at a munition works. His mother, Honora Maguire was a cotton weaver.
Is there any connection?
Luckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:56   #50
Junior Member+

Are the couple on the right Joan and Tom Woods?
Luckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 15:13   #51
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyboy View Post
I was born in 1944 at 79 Plantation St Accrington. My father, Robert Maguire was born in 1917 at 44 Grange Lane Accrington. He was a machinist at a munition works. His mother, Honora Maguire was a cotton weaver.
Is there any connection?
Mike and I have established off-line messaging and I can confirm that Honora and Margaret are (were) his aunts. This also means that he and I are cousins!
Another little dit, which I didn't accomplish, is that Mike, his dad Robert, my Mum Honora and Margaret all lived in the same house togethe; plus our grandmother, another Honora.

Mike
cashman likes this.

Last edited by Norahs Lad; 14-06-2019 at 15:17.
Norahs Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 15:47   #52
Beacon of light

Ah, the magic of Accyweb.
So glad you have gained a new found cousin Mike.
Finding rellies is a long and winding road.....but the views are really interesting.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..