Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2019, 16:51   #1

Henfield House

I wonder if anybody knows anything of the history of Henfield House near the Dunkenhalgh. So far turned up nothing apart from the ruined listed building in the grounds,
thanks
Mark
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2019, 08:57   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Henfield House

There's no mention of Henfield House in 'Old Homesteads of Accrington & District' I think there will be some information held in the library. It will certainly be on the early OS maps.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 16:43   #3

Its on the 1845 6 inch OS map on the Lancashire Council website so it must have been built before that.
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 21:46   #4
Junior Member+

I know of henfield house it was owned by the hacking family who have memorial at althsm and buried there about late 1800. If is a strange house named after the lost village noe taken up with altham and clayton. I cannot find any more history before 1800s. Apparently there is a secret chapel at the back in a cave style probably used by the persecuted catholics .
jackrovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 21:50   #5
Junior Member+

http://https://m.facebook.com/story....22795017872502
Old 21-02-2020, 06:22   #6
Junior Member+

Henfield was the site of a famous battle of whinny hill 1642 civil war see link above. Only the racecourse of the name enfield exist of any names of the area obvious the h being dropped.
Old 21-02-2020, 08:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrovers View Post
Henfield was the site of a famous battle of whinny hill 1642 civil war see link above. Only the racecourse of the name enfield exist of any names of the area obvious the h being dropped.
The civil war battle was actually known as "The battle of Henfield Moor", or so I have always been led to believe.
Regards Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..