Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By dotti34

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2020, 11:42   #1

Old photo of firemen and fire truck

Not sure if anyone can help me with a query I have but I'm putting it out there hoping. There is a book about Oswaldtwistle, and in it is a photo of firemen on a fire truck. This would be of a period maybe in the 1920’s or 1930’s. All I want to know are the names of the firemen on the truck which I think should be under the picture.

I have seen the book a few years ago, there was a copy brought out here but unfortunately it has been lost. I would be very grateful if anyone can help regarding this. I have tried to find out the information from various sources but to no avail and I can’t purchase the book as I don’t know the exact title of it or even if it is still available.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-06-2020, 20:30   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Old photo of firemen and fire truck

I published 'Oswaldtwistle Observed' in 2003. On page 13 there are two photos of the fire brigade. The top one was taken outside the town hall where the steam-powered engine was kept ( the horses were kept across the road.) The lower photo was taken outside the 'new' (1899) fire station. No names I'm afraid. Both photos were 'thanks to Lancashire Library' I cannot put them on here as I am a dummy at anything technical. Only the top photo shows firemen - 12 of them plus a horse and engine
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 21:47   #3

Thank you, Bob, for that very prompt information. I think those must be the photos I was referring to though it was the names I was mainly after. Another query - was the book you published in 2003 a re-print as the actual book I saw was published a few years before that date? Is this still in circulation?
Old 05-06-2020, 22:29   #4

Once again an Accyweb member has come up with answers to a query. This really is a great forum to belong to.
Old 06-06-2020, 17:15   #5
God Member

Just ‘googled’ Ossie / fire brigade / photos and found this bit of a photo...is this the one referred to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B30E72D3-E426-409F-9668-1EE0AD94C80C.jpeg (221.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by Exile on Spencer St; 06-06-2020 at 17:20.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 18:05   #6

There is a photo on accy web gallery under miscellaneous of Oswaldtwistle firemen. Maybe the photo you are talking about.
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 18:45   #7
Beacon of light

I think Dotti was looking to see the names under the picture(see post three).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 23:13   #8

Thank you for the replies and for your efforts to help, Walker and Exile on Spencer Street. Yes, Margaret, it was the names I wanted. I have tried various sites but can't get what I want. Need mind, it was mainly to tie up some loose ends. There are a couple more avenues I might try before giving up. Thank you all again.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..