Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 20:45   #61
Beacon of light

Re: home made cow heal pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Ham shank and peas- i would love the recipe for this as my mum used to cook this for us every week. Also a recipe for sage and onion stuffing which i vaguely remember but never get the same taste to. I remember the oven came into the recipe after but have tried to get the same taste but never achieved it.
I sometimes make my own stuffing......it is easy.
A couple of slices of bread.......made into breadcrumbs(stale bread is best)
A chopped shallot sweated in a little chicken stock until soft, a couple of pinches of dried sage(more if you use fresh sage...dried sage has a more intense flavour, that's why you need less) a pinch of dried parsley(optional)
a little salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Add some chicken stock to make a sloppy paste(or I use the juice from a pork joint......put the mix into an oven proof dish and cook in the oven at the bottom for 20 minutes...if the stuffing looks like it is drying out, add a little more stock.
I like my stuffing to be soft....I hate those golf balls of stuffing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-10-2011, 20:45   #62
Beacon of light

Or you could just buy a packet of Paxo!
Old 08-10-2011, 20:47   #63
Senior Member+

my grandad makes chestnut stuffing that we fight over at christmas, its thick and chewy

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 20:50   #64
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
home made cow heal pie

anyone know how to make this, my gran used to make when I was little...
said the gravy would stick to me ribs....
As for Cow Heel pie....my recollection of this is that the steak filling is cooked with a cow heel, you fish out the cow heel once the steak pie filling is cooked.......the cow heel makes the gravy 'set' when it is cold and when it is warm the gravy is just thick.

I haven't ever made it, but I can recall my Grandma making it......and it did stick to your ribs.
Old 08-10-2011, 20:52   #65
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
my grandad makes chestnut stuffing that we fight over at christmas, its thick and chewy
Not keen on chestnut stuffing.....or lemon and thyme stuffing.......I just like boring old sage and onion.
Old 08-10-2011, 20:56   #66
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Or you could just buy a packet of Paxo!
We can't get Paxo here Margaret and your recipe is how I make it (like my Grandmother used to make it) and is a million times better. For Xmas i add sausage meat and chestnuts! It's great with chicken, turkey or capon alongside Devils on Horseback and other "trimmings".

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 20:59   #67
Senior Member+

stuffing wrapped in bacon mmmmmmmmmmmmm

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 21:05   #68
Beacon of light

Ham hock(or shank) and peas.
Rinse the shank in running water...or put the shank into a large pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Once the shank has come to the boil tip the water off and replace it with fresh water.......this will prevent the shank from being overly salty.
Cook the shank in the fresh water until it is properly cooked.(you can cut the meat up at this point, or leave it until it falls apart)
The peas need to be soaked at least overnight. Put the soaked peas into the pan with the shank(don't ask me how many peas....I never measure anything, I just go by rack of eye.......you can only have too many peas if they overflow the pan.
I add to my pan a finely diced carrot, a small chopped onion and a finely chopped potato, and if liked(which I do) a handful of pearl barley.

Let all these ingredients simmer gently, stirring from time to time(stops the peas sticking to the bottom and burning...would ruin the taste).
It is ready to eat when all the peas have fallen(gone soft, and the meat has fallen into shreds). I could just eat a basinful of that right now.
This recipe can also be made with bacon ribs. And you can add dumplings for a bit of extra flavour.
Old 08-10-2011, 21:09   #69
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
We can't get Paxo here Margaret and your recipe is how I make it (like my Grandmother used to make it) and is a million times better. For Xmas i add sausage meat and chestnuts! It's great with chicken, turkey or capon alongside Devils on Horseback and other "trimmings".
I mix my home made stuffing with good quality sausage meat in equal quantities and make something like sausage rolls...using puff pastry.

When I worked at the hospital, my staff used to ask me to make them for our Christmas feast.......and they never lasted very long.
I am a fair cook, but I only ever make plain stick to the ribs grub.
I do make a mean Sherry trifle(no jelly...that is for children...and I make my own vanilla custard with eggs milk and cream)) and a very passable apricot and kiwi fruit cheesecake.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:22   #70
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I remember my Grandad used to love tripe cold with salt, pepper and vinegar.

I can't stand it.

Here in italy they cut it into thin strips and cook it in a sort of Minestrone soup -it's still disgusting!

One thing I did love - which mum used to get on the market, was Broth -she used to get the ready made mix and add Ham shank and then dumplings. Delicious -great on a cold winter's day.
That's why there's holes in honeycomb trip mobertol, so you can put vinegar in each hole
Old 09-10-2011, 09:28   #71
Resting in Peace

There is very little food I don't like really Trip, Trotters, Black Pudding Haggis (had a spugs special for lunch yesterday) the only thing I have never fancied is elder(thinks that's how its spelt) seen it on the Trip stall, but never been tempted, many a time I've got some trip at lunchtime and asked for it to be cut up and sat there at work eating it for lunch
Old 09-10-2011, 09:38   #72
Beacon of light

My father loved Elder......he used to have it with toast, not on toast, but he would have a bite of toast and then cut a bit of elder off and put it in his mouth........he tried to get us to eat it, but we never did. Tripe......ewwww, horrible stuff. Tastes like watery snot.
I'd rather eat my own eyeballs.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:39   #73
Senior Member+

That confirms my opinion - Jaysay talks a load of tripe, It just trips off his tongue. Please do not take this as a signal to start posting about tongue. Once my dad was offered tongue in a restaurant. He declined it - "Tongue? I could not eat anything that came out of an animal's mouth. I'll have an egg please."
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:05   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
That confirms my opinion - Jaysay talks a load of tripe, It just trips off his tongue. Please do not take this as a signal to start posting about tongue. Once my dad was offered tongue in a restaurant. He declined it - "Tongue? I could not eat anything that came out of an animal's mouth. I'll have an egg please."
There was me thinking you were a friend of mine Bob
Old 09-10-2011, 10:15   #75
Beacon of light

Well John, you know that they say friends make the worst enemies because they know where the punch hurts the most.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..