Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 10:16   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: home made cow heal pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Well John, you know that they say friends make the worst enemies because they know where the punch hurts the most.
My weak spots mi wallet Margaret
Old 09-10-2011, 11:59   #77
Senior Member+

I knew I could get away with it with you. I wouldn't try it out on either of the Margarets.
I did think of bringing the word 'brains' into it but decided to limit myself. I didn't want to say anything offal about you. bee
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 13:58   #78
God Member

Quote:
I do make a mean Sherry trifle(no jelly...that is for children...and I make my own vanilla custard with eggs milk and cream))
Now you're talking -I don't actually have a sweet tooth -cheese is my downfall- but I can't resist a proper Sherry Trifle, yours sounds very much like the one my Grandmother used to make for special occasions!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 17:00   #79

Cool Re: home made cow heal pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfashioned View Post
Maybe all of you should start to learn the English language & how to spell, before you try dangerous things like cooking with knives and flames?

or, try this, you might understand it better ...

maibe awll of u shud start to lurn the english langwage & how to spell,b4 u tri dangerouse things liyk cooking with knifes and flayms?

What a very rude person you are! I've really enjoyed reading this thread though, and I can remember my grandma making cow heel pie, I've made it once under her supervision when my children who are all now very grown up were small, it involves cooking the cow heel with braised steak and then removing it before serving, makes a really thick gravy. Also Margaret Pilkington has mentioned some old recipes, she's said before that we may be of a similar age and I would say we most definitely are. I'm currently in the process of writing down all the old recipes I've got for my children and grandchildren because I don't want them to get lost. When my daughter left home eleven years ago I gave her my "Grannie Annie's book of delicious home made recipes", consisting basically of all the food she'd eaten whilst growing upand how to cook it - she still has it but it's now extremely tatty!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 17:16   #80
Beacon of light

Today I have made a roast of Belly Pork....the crackling was crisp and golden.
I took the meat out to rest mid afternoon and the juices just ozzed out...... they set into a golden brown jelly.......I have saved this for my toast in the morning.......it will be lovely. I made my home made stuffing, and because I had some chives that were looking just a bit sad...I snipped them and put them in my stuffing too.

I don't really work from recipes, all the cooking I learned was by watching my Grandma.
They are all good plain 'stick to you ribs' foods.

Though I can make a very passable chicken and mushroom risotto.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 09-10-2011 at 17:22.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 17:35   #81

Quote:
Today I have made a roast of Belly Pork....the crackling was crisp and golden.
I took the meat out to rest mid afternoon and the juices just ozzed out...... they set into a golden brown jelly.......I have saved this for my toast in the morning.......it will be lovely. I made my home made stuffing, and because I had some chives that were looking just a bit sad...I snipped them and put them in my stuffing too.

I don't really work from recipes, all the cooking I learned was by watching my Grandma.
They are all good plain 'stick to you ribs' foods.

Though I can make a very passable chicken and mushroom risotto.
That sounds delicious! I was also taught to cook by my mum and my grandma, but I do have a soft spot for Jamie Oliver!
I had a lovely lunch today at the Spread Eagle at Sawley, but I think I might be going a bit off thread here.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 17:41   #82
Beacon of light

I should have said the juices just oozed out....this is just in case that uncouth gentleman thinks I need to learn to spell, and learn English.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:54   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
That sounds delicious! I was also taught to cook by my mum and my grandma, but I do have a soft spot for Jamie Oliver!
I had a lovely lunch today at the Spread Eagle at Sawley, but I think I might be going a bit off thread here.
I am a self taught cook -never got a look in at home as my sister was at catering college and had to practise. Was given Delia Smith's original cookery course back in the 80's and still have it -it's like a bible to me and the recipes always work. I can also remember that my mum used to have a cookery book by Margueritte Pattern(?) or a name something like that. I mainly cook Italian though having lived here for 25 yrs.

Jamie has been a great success on TV and is much appreciated by my boys as he makes cooking look dynamic and trendy -but to me he swathes everything in tuns of Olive oil -with his slugs and glugs while doing the recipes and adding it again at the end! I wonder if he's getting something from the olive oil industry as a sort of ambassador at times....He's also way over the top with the amount of herbs he uses.

I love Rick Stein (with his food hero's) and especially his fish dishes.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-10-2011, 13:42   #84
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I am a self taught cook -never got a look in at home as my sister was at catering college and had to practise. Was given Delia Smith's original cookery course back in the 80's and still have it -it's like a bible to me and the recipes always work. I can also remember that my mum used to have a cookery book by Margueritte Pattern(?) or a name something like that. I mainly cook Italian though having lived here for 25 yrs.

Jamie has been a great success on TV and is much appreciated by my boys as he makes cooking look dynamic and trendy -but to me he swathes everything in tuns of Olive oil -with his slugs and glugs while doing the recipes and adding it again at the end! I wonder if he's getting something from the olive oil industry as a sort of ambassador at times....He's also way over the top with the amount of herbs he uses.

I love Rick Stein (with his food hero's) and especially his fish dishes.
ive got the jamie olivers 30 min meals and they are pretty good, although not always very family friendly so i swap annd change when i do use it, ive got delia smith how to cook' aswell as nigella lawsons 'kitchen'.... i have a few cookery books now, i like to pick them up in charity shops and car boots and ive learnt to cook from them,im a pretty good cook, if i do say so myself, i manage to keep my family well fed cooking from scratch

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 13:53   #85

You lot are making me hungry! Can I come for tea?

Last edited by Michael1954; 10-10-2011 at 13:56.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 15:25   #86
God Member

Sure Michael -it's posh fish'n'chips tonight (homemade) chez Bertolotti followed by a spongecake with fresh cream and raspberries -my birthday tea- all welcome! Plenty of bubbly too -Italian Franciacorta not french rubbish!

(Posh means goujons of cod and giant prawns in batter with Tartare sauce -home-made also!)

I may not be able to eat much though as I've just got back from a traumatic session at the dentists...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-10-2011, 16:56   #87
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I should have said the juices just oozed out....
Not under his bridge they won't be, he'll be eating stringy goats.
Old 10-10-2011, 19:58   #88
Beacon of light

No son, he'll be eating raw grass...and tht's if he is lucky enough
Old 10-10-2011, 20:58   #89
God Member

Quote:
No son, he'll be eating raw grass...and tht's if he is lucky enough
The cows on our farm would be glad of that, M. Life is always greener on the other side of the fence...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-10-2011, 22:11   #90
Beacon of light

yes, it's because of those pasture pies

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..