Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Hints/Tips/Advice
Donate! Join Today

Hints/Tips/Advice Tell everyone your money/time/effort saving hints and tips. Give or ask for advice in any area. Household, decorating, etc.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2015, 06:39   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Bird feeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by south aussie View Post
Maybe a little less natural habitat now,after the catastrophic bushfire raging through the Adelaide Hills.
No lives lost yet,but the fire is still burning after 3 days and no sign of it
being under control.
I heard 2elderly folk are missing (hopefully just taking refuge),12+ homes have been destroyed and quite a number of Dogs and cats have been killed as the fire ripped through boarding kennels an that's not mentioning the other poor animals caught up in the blaze.....So sad

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-01-2015, 16:56   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
We have Snowy Owls in spades ... one on my garage roof yesterday ... (maybe I should keep my camera a little more handy) ... gorgeous birds, and they take care of their own feeding. Lots of nervous squirrels around.

Snowy owl 'epidemic' sweeps across Ontario - Windsor - CBC News
They used to breed on Orkney but I don't think they do anymore as there is no longer enough snow for long enough (Global Warming! Inspite of Harry Potter) Last time was in 1975 apparently...
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 17:48   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
They used to breed on Orkney but I don't think they do anymore as there is no longer enough snow for long enough (Global Warming! Inspite of Harry Potter) Last time was in 1975 apparently...
Pity. They are absolutely beautiful ... and I'm a big fan of owls ... my favorite bird. We have decent snow cover now (after a snow free Christmas) and temps on the cool side (into the -20s at nite ... -40s on the Prairies); so they probably feel at home here. We don't have lemmings; but, no doubt, they enjoy a good feed of squirrel.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 00:54   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
We have the apple variety of this feeder. The birds haven't got used to it yet.
I looked at the apple one when buying the orange, It seemed to be a bit too much like hard work the orange one's just open and you can chuck whatever you like into it, which pleases my lazy nature.

I have also hung up a more traditional bird feeder with seeds inside a container, now. Mr Sunflower thinks I'm crackers because I will go into the kitchen to do something supposedly useful and get distracted by the birds because I like watching them so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I'd encourage the squirrels,I enjoy watching them work out ways of getting the nuts from feeders etc.
Oh I don't mind them at all. Any wildlife is welcome by me and they're very cute.
I've heard recently some things like we shouldn't feed birds certain things but I'm not sure I buy it, I'll put more or less any scraps out for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
We have Snowy Owls in spades ... one on my garage roof yesterday ... (maybe I should keep my camera a little more handy) ... gorgeous birds, and they take care of their own feeding. Lots of nervous squirrels around.
My parents get owls too . I am jealous!Bit too urban where I live.

I must buy a bird bath and a bird house before spring hits. I miss where I used to live sometimes because it had a flat roof on the extension which also served as somewhere to sit out at night. I used to like sitting out there and bat-watching. Not seen one around here.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:45   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower49 View Post
I used to like sitting out there and bat-watching. Not seen one around here.
I got me a bat house on my garage ... bats are great for keeping the skeeters at bay ... and I usually have Purple Martins around in Summer. They, too, like feeding on the skeeters ... they are the day shift, and the bats, the nite.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:16   #21
Senior Member+

A friend of mine gets owls visiting (I think they're barn owls) I don't get them near mine (as S49 says too urban),I couldn't believe it when he told me the droppings were from a owl (similar size to a small dog) .

As for my garden,after putting the pre-mentioned offerings closer to the fence/tree line and adding some raisins and mealworms,I've had 2 common blackbirds,a crew of sparrows (approx 8) a few yellow tits (3) and I'm sure I seen a robbin but it was too quick on its toes for me to get a proper look

password--Accyweb
Old 07-01-2015, 12:03   #22
Full Member+

Try some sunflower hearts .The goldfinches and green finches love them. I never saw these birds till I started using the sunflower seeds. The hearts are better because you don't get the black shells under the feeders. They go through so many I am going to put their rent up !!
Accyexplorer likes this.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 21:50   #23
Senior Member+

Just a reminder folks,it's that time again when the little cherubs may need a helping hand to bulk up before spring when the immigrants arrive and take over their nest sites and steal all their bugs

password--Accyweb
Old 12-12-2015, 08:51   #24
Senior Member+

Our two nuthatches are now regular visitors at front and back of our house, along with blue tits, coal tits,great tits, robins and blackbirds. Max keeps the vermin out (pigeons)
Stevie R likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:41   #25
Junior Member+

Re bird feeding entries. Go cheap [cheep!] to feed your feathered friends. Try melting a little lard in a saucepan then add any old bisciut/cake/bread crumbs, even broken dog biscuits. Mix in any cereal flakes and/or small oatmeal, chopped dried fruit [easier for the little darlings to grab], and don't forget any chopped nuts. Mix well and spoon small portions into bags so as not take too much to the bird table each day. This crumbly mixture prevents greedy feeders [pigeons in my garden] from taking it all. Bon apetit, birdies.
daisybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 20:46   #26
Full Member+

Sounds like a nice feast Daisybeth. I find the large bags of birdseed from Home Bargains are very economical and seem to go down well with my visitors. I mix in some of those pellets too . I had a small bird a couple of weeks ago that I have never seen before and had to get my bird book out to identify it. turned out to be a Gold Crest. Lovely little thing. Apparently the smallest bird in Europe. I always thought that was the wren. It was not on the bird table though. He (or She) was popping in and out of a little Box bush infront of the kitchen window looking for insects I suppose. I also had a few long tailed tits the same day. Havent had them for ages. This week I noticed a chaffinch not had one of those before either. I love watching them all.
Old 18-03-2016, 08:00   #27
Junior Member+

Hi Rowlf, good to hear of your visiting Goldcrest, we had one in the garden last year. Our rarest visitor has been a Blackcap and my most thrilling sight was a Barn owl which swooped low enough [only ten feet away] as we sat on the garden bench at dusk.
Old 18-03-2016, 16:02   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisybeth View Post
Re bird feeding entries. Go cheap [cheep!] to feed your feathered friends. Try melting a little lard in a saucepan then add any old bisciut/cake/bread crumbs, even broken dog biscuits. Mix in any cereal flakes and/or small oatmeal, chopped dried fruit [easier for the little darlings to grab], and don't forget any chopped nuts. Mix well and spoon small portions into bags so as not take too much to the bird table each day. This crumbly mixture prevents greedy feeders [pigeons in my garden] from taking it all. Bon apetit, birdies.
Suggest you use vegetable suet rather than lard - melt it stir in the seed and then spoon into a coconut half shell.
Old 18-03-2016, 17:06   #29
Junior Member+

I agree Barrie, it's a perfect way for containing homemade foodstuff, sadly I have marauding squirrels that take or destroy anything I use to feed my feathered friends. The pigeons also upset my feeders. Another issue is the kestrel. If the birds spend too long in one place feeding [I move my birdtable from time to time] they are fair game for a predators lunch. I used to put out feeders for peanuts etc. but then I would find feathers and such next day as another one bites the dust. We also have a local cat that nabs anything from blue tits to pigeons and, would you believe, a squirrel! I know this for certain as he or she takes them into the open building to eat, leaving me the debris. I'm rather at my wits end as to how I can enjoy my birds these days. All suggestions would be so appreciated. Help! daisybeth.
Old 18-03-2016, 21:14   #30
Full Member+

I dont know what to suggest Daisybeth. I have heard folk say a cat will not kill birds if it is well fed but I think that is rubbish. It is an instinct in them to stalk things so I do not see how that can be stopped. As for the feeders. I have a wooden one with a roof on that is quite open so an occassional squirrel does get in there and they also have made a mess of plastic seed feeders trying to get the sunflower hearts. I also have a plastic type feeder with a roof that is adjustable which is great. We have it very low so nothing but small birds like sparrows and robins can get into the food so the 'heavy gang' i.e. starlings cannot get in. The roof is sloping and it is comical to watch larger birds trying to get at the food and sliding down the roof. I hope you find some way of protecting your feathered friends from harm and can still enjoy watching them.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..