Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 09:53   #1
Resting in Peace

We can't live without Facebook

Brits: Facebook is more vital than a mobile phone, shower, toilet | ZDNet

It would appear that having access to Facebook is the 5th most important thing in our lives, in fact looking at the list one has to wonder which planet some people actually live on. I have a Facebook account, but it wouldn't bother me if I didn't access it again, I'd be much more concerned if Accy Web disappeared
Old 10-09-2011, 10:06   #2
God Member

Re: We can't live without Facebook

I use it to keep informed about what my family (son and five adult grandchildren) are doing. The message system is better than email.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:08   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I use it to keep informed about what my family (son and five adult grandchildren) are doing. The message system is better than email.
Ya but is it the fifth most important thing in your life Margaret?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:14   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya but is it the fifth most important thing in your life Margaret?
Family are the most important thing in my life, so I do get peace of mind knowing they are thriving and enjoying living.

It is a better way than frequent phone calls and visits to keep up to date.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:28   #5
Senior Member+

I have never logged on to facebook and have no intention of doing so.
I have lived 73 without out it and don't think I am missing much.

I have had a couple of invitations to join from family members but declined via email and keep in touch by phone, it's much more personal to hear a voice.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:38   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I have never logged on to facebook and have no intention of doing so.
I have lived 73 without out it and don't think I am missing much.

I have had a couple of invitations to join from family members but declined via email and keep in touch by phone, it's much more personal to hear a voice.

I agree that having a phone call is more personal but when one grandaughter has spent the last 4 months working in Ibiza, and a grandson spends two summers working in USA, it isn't practical to expect them to phone.

Besides that, what they say on Facebook to their friends gives a better indication of how they are living than a phone call to gran ever would

Old 10-09-2011, 10:48   #7

I use facebook but could live without it.

We have a closed group on there for family members where we all post our family photographs going back to the 1900's and share information and I think it is a great resource for that and also one for a residents association I am involved with and it's good to keep up to date with what is happening.

However I spend most of my entire working hours telling students to get on with work and get of facebook and it seems that it is the most important thing in the world to them and if they didn't check in every few minutes the world would probably end.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I only use it rarely,to acess friends abroad, that aint from around here, i couldn't careless if it vanished tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:16   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
I agree that having a phone call is more personal but when one grandaughter has spent the last 4 months working in Ibiza, and a grandson spends two summers working in USA, it isn't practical to expect them to phone.

Besides that, what they say on Facebook to their friends gives a better indication of how they are living than a phone call to gran ever would
I didn't realize that you could see all the "conversations" people were having, I understand what you are saying Margaret. It is not in real time though is it?

I have friends and relations abroad and we use Skype if we don't phone.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:20   #10
Senior Member+

I love Facebook!

As Margaret says it´s such a brilliant way to keep up to date with the family. I don´t see my lot often and phone calls are expensive to Tenerife.

My son has spent some time in Australia with his family and it was lovely being able to see their photos.

I´d hate to live without it!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:34   #11

I could live without Facebook; however, it is a good way to keep in touch with friends and family abroad and sharing photographs. Accyweb is more lively, although it does have more than its fair share of numpties!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:56   #12
God Member

The notion of 'living without' something is misleading.
We could all 'live without' modern gadgets, but if they make living easier use them.
After all the basics of survival are -
..a roof over your head
..a warm bed
..a full stomach
anything extra is 'jam on the bread'

Old 10-09-2011, 12:02   #13

Quote:
The notion of 'living without' something is misleading.
We could all 'live without' modern gadgets, but if they make living easier use them.
After all the basics of survival are -
..a roof over your head
..a warm bed
..a full stomach
anything extra is 'jam on the bread'
Especially strawberry jam!
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:22   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Don't do the bookface/I'mspaced, thing at all, no interest whatsoever, it's enough getting involved with the loonies on here. (I include myself in that generalisation before anyone gets the hump )
Old 10-09-2011, 13:16   #15
Beacon of light

I don't do facebook(and don't ever plan to)....and I am perturbed that many advertising campaigns/competions/petitions think that we all subscribe to this pernicious site.
Like you son.........I spend my time on here.
I have family dotted around the world, but rely on e-mails to keep me up to date with the doings in their lives.......and that is good enough for me.
If facebook disappeared tomorrow it would not make one iota of difference to my life.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..