Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2012, 10:56   #1
Senior Member+

Is it is scam

I received an email today supposedly from a local Councillor.
The email said the councillor had been mugged in Madrid and lost her money and cards, she wanted me to mail money to her.
The bank is sending her new card but it will take a few days so she wants me to use Western Union.
Why she picked on me I don't know.
I wonder if this is a scam and someone has got hold of the Councillors details.
I don't know the lady personally but checked on the Council web site and the email address she used is correct.
I know people can get hold of others details to try to obtain money but it does sound as though she is in difficulties.

Has anybody else received a similar email and do they know the lady in question.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:03   #2

Thumbs down Re: Is it is scam

If you think it's a scam it probably is. Surely this lady would have a relative she could ask rather than a stranger, anyway the British Embassy would lend money in an emergency. Also western union is a bit of a give away. Usually used in Nigerian scams.
If you have the lady's details why don't you contact her directly, I'm sure she'd want to know about this.

JB

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 17-02-2012 at 11:05.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 11:15   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Is it is scam

I have already done that jelly baby but if she is unaware of the email and is on holiday maybe someone has managed to use her details. I have not had a reply yet but certainly won't be going to a Western Union office to send money to a stranger.

I have a few emails in the past asking for my details so they can be used to deposit large sums of money into my account (or take it away) but this one is giving a genuine email address which is the one for the Councillor.

I hope she is not in financial difficulties in a Madrid.
Old 17-02-2012, 11:43   #4
Senior Member+

I have been in contact with Hyndburn Council and they assure me that the Councillor, Joan Smith, is alive and well and is in Accrington and not Madrid.
It seems that someone has hacked into her computer and sent the email to everybody in her contacts list.

All is well.
Old 17-02-2012, 12:10   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Glad yeh didn't fall fer it mate, Just ask yerself this- Why would anyone who has been robbed, ask someone they didn't know fer money? The person robbed has relatives, n by nature of her job,plenty she does know, simple as. A phone call to one of these would suffice, they would know her voice, I was robbed in Spain 5/6 yrs ago n the police were very helpful, allowed me to make a call.
Old 17-02-2012, 12:42   #6
Resting in Peace

I got one too, Gremlin, just hope nobody was caught out by this..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 14:27   #7

Thanks for starting this thread. As Katex knows I am the councillor who as a result of having my email address hacked, quite unwittingly sent the emails . The first I knew about it was at 9 o'clock when I got a phone call to tell that they had received the email. Google blocked my account and it has taken most of the morning to get my account reinstated but I have lost all the emails I had stored in the folders I had created.
I sincerely apologise to everyone who received the email and hope that no one had been caught out by this.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 14:34   #8
Common Sense Member

I've also had a request which I thought strange as it was asking me to contact Joan directly.

Not a very clever scam, sounds more like someone mischief making to me.....

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 19:00   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I've also had a request which I thought strange as it was asking me to contact Joan directly.

Its not a very clever scam Ken as you say, what you mean by mischief I'm not too sure, these people who try these scams will try anything, we had the emails from banks which seems to have died out as I haven't had any for over 12 months, but as was stated these things usually start out in Africa by unscrupulous con men, who DO catch some people out, but this one doesn't even look a bit feasible, they must be getting very desperate
Old 17-02-2012, 19:22   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

I was asked to contact Joan via her email address which was the one she has on the Hyndburn Council web site.
As you say Ken, more like mischief or someone who has a grudge against her politics.

Glad it is sorted anyway.
Old 17-02-2012, 20:20   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I was asked to contact Joan via her email address which was the one she has on the Hyndburn Council web site.
As you say Ken, more like mischief or someone who has a grudge against her politics.

Glad it is sorted anyway.
I don't agree. I think this is purely fraud and they have probably sent out 1,000's like this in the hope of extracting money from some kind, vulnerable person.

On tracking this E-mail, there is a warning on the first IP address that it is being used for fraud purposes and not to trust it, and already being used on Amazon for fraudulent purposes. Showing as Warrington, but this won't mean much.

Poor Claytonender ... you have nothing to apologise for although it can be embarrassing as if you are responsible or summat...it was not your fault. Your contact was pretty quick in letting you know though. I received mine at 8.56. a.m. .... you were onto it at 9.00 a.m., so, hopefully no harm done.
Old 17-02-2012, 20:30   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. As Katex knows I am the councillor who as a result of having my email address hacked, quite unwittingly sent the emails . The first I knew about it was at 9 o'clock when I got a phone call to tell that they had received the email. Google blocked my account and it has taken most of the morning to get my account reinstated but I have lost all the emails I had stored in the folders I had created.
I sincerely apologise to everyone who received the email and hope that no one had been caught out by this.
You've no need to apologise. It could happen to anyone.

I never give money to beggars.

Though I've posted you a box of pies, to keep you going, until you get back to Britain.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 20:44   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I never give money to beggars.

Though I've posted you a box of pies, to keep you going, until you get back to Britain.

Brilliant .....
Old 17-02-2012, 22:10   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I don't agree. I think this is purely fraud and they have probably sent out 1,000's like this in the hope of extracting money from some kind, vulnerable person.

On tracking this E-mail, there is a warning on the first IP address that it is being used for fraud purposes and not to trust it,
Agree think Kens being a bit naive to think its just mischief.
Old 18-02-2012, 00:31   #15
God Member

I reckon this is a serious scam, imagine if you got this sort of mail from a close friend?.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..