Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2006, 02:48   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Arcs 1960s

Maybe, it was Saturday night at the end of the 50's. Sunday, came later.
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-08-2006, 08:37   #17
mez
God Member

i left school in '59 & went to the empire dancing .saturday.sunday & wednesday night .....monday night .accy con ...sunday afternoon the arc's...never knew the arc's to be open on a saturday night ...but hey im a kid compared to some on here ....
Old 21-08-2006, 09:44   #18
I am Banned

Hi & welcome to the local madhouse

Im too young old hehehe
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 05:13   #19
Senior Member+

Same era mez, Emp on sunday and wednesday and also went up the Arcs but never went there on sunday afternoon, played footy then, I "think" I went on saturday nights or maybe friday nights, it was a long time ago.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 16:28   #20

The full name was Arcadian ballroom I think. went there in the fifties
acertun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 18:11   #21
Senior Member+

'Ello & welcome.As to your question,i'm of no use whatsoever.Sorry.
Old 05-11-2006, 18:34   #22
God Member

hello and welcome
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:32   #23
Resident Waffler

Hello Shazfury, I think I missed your arrival on AccyWeb as I was on holiday, so a belated hello and welcome

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 14:46   #24
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybow
Maybe, it was Saturday night at the end of the 50's. Sunday, came later.
It depended what type of dancing it was they had (square) balroom dancing most nights, you are right it was Sunday, not much on anywhere else unless you risked Joe. Morts.
Canine Club?
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:54   #25

When i was hanging out there it was the latest dance and music Saturday and Sunday, which i never missed, and on Tuesday nights ballroom dancing. We went when all else was dead. Iremember Cliff trying to teach me the slow foxtrot.
I was better at the cha cha.I was sorry to see the picture of it all borded up.
shazfury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:46   #26
God Member

Hey guys I've been following this thread with interest , but I have no memories/recollctions of this place (Arcs/Arts) where was it located ? what type of crowd did it attract? when did it close down ?

My mis-spent teenage years included the Jazz club, Monday nights at the Con club , Accys version of the Cavern (on a side street off Whalley rd) Blue Dahlia cafe on Dutton st. back room of Derby pub .Burnley and Blackburn Meccas and the Twisted Wheel in Manchester and the sorry annex in Blackpool (all visited on a Lambretta LI150) even getting tossed out of Sacred Heart Church in Blackburn rd. for trying to get an after hours drink during Christmas Mass, (not I may add one of my prouder moments)
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:38   #27
Super Moderator

The Arcadian Ballroom was on Knowlemere Street, just off to your left at the top of Milnshaw Lane. The building itself which is still there, is quite old and looks like it used to be some sort of chapel or small school. I used to go there on Saturday nights round about 1966. Usually a local beat band on like the Dappers, Dansaks or Soundcasters. It was just one room with a dancefloor, seats round the side and a small bar selling soft drinks (if you wanted something stronger you had to nip out to the offie). I seem to remember it was a pretty rough place and there was usually at least one punch-up in the course of the evening. After going there for a few months, I "graduated" to Accy Con and then the Jazz Club.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:57   #28
God Member

Hello and welcome to Accy web
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 00:46   #29
Senior Member+

hi welcome
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..