Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Introduce Yourself
Donate! Join Today

Introduce Yourself New to the forum? Introduce yourself here and get talking. Everyone is welcome here at Accrington Web!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By taddy
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson
  • 1 Post By davemac
  • 1 Post By hilleluk

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2017, 20:56   #1

new member - hello

Hello all,
thanks for letting me join the group. We moved to Rising Bridge just over a year ago and I found this web site whilst doing some historical research.

We're in the process of rebuilding Hilltop Farm, Back Lane in Rising Bridge and I'm trying to find out when it was originally built so the year can be recorded on the date stone. The farm is shown on a map from around 1850 but I'm struggling to find anything further back.

If anyone can advise where to look or has any history of the farm then we'd be very keen to hear from you.

Thanks,
Dom
domster is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2017, 08:57   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: new member - hello

Welcome to the forum dom.
domster likes this.
Old 14-11-2017, 10:31   #3

Hello and welcome, Accrington reference library would probably have the info you are looking for, or maybe Bob Dobson one of our Accy Webbers can help.
domster likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 16:24   #4
Senior Member+

Hill Top Farm does not feature in 'Old Homesteads of Accrington & District' by Ainsworth, though some other Bash farms do. The library has a list of the locations of farms, collated by Retlaw. I don't think it gives any historical infomatio0n. It may be possible to find the approx. date of the farmhouse being built from a search of each census from 1841.The deeds should give a clue as to the owner of the land before the house was built. The style of the architecture may give clues as to when it was built. I suspect there may be a datestone bearing the initials of the first owner
Reading the pages on the surrounding farms in Ainsworth's book may give clues on the date of the building.
Names of the occupiers will likely be found in the many trade directories held in the library, as in most cases,. the names of farmers are shown en bloc.
There is no substitute for spending time in the library. Best to phone first and ask when John Simpson is working
domster likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 20:44   #5

Thanks all for the welcome and advice, it is much appreciated. I'll try to visit the library this weekend and see if anything can be found, i'll start with the books/files mentioned.

Unfortunately the original house has been demolished so there's no chance of finding an original date stone now. It had also been rendered so if there was some sort of date stone then i think it was covered anyway.

It's quite addictive doing historical research, the only problem is that our builder wants to know what needs carving into the new date stone in the next week, so time is against us!

Regards,
Dom.
domster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 09:09   #6
Senior Member+

ow do, and welcome
domster likes this.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 11:08   #7

Welcome, happy posting
domster likes this.
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hill top, hilltop, rising bridge

« New | Hello »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..