Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2016, 17:11   #346

Re: Rhyddings High School??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Knot View Post
Hi all,
Went to rhyddings 1980 - 1986.
The teachers were, Mr Thomson (red faced PE teacher), Ohharrgreaves maths teacher and houghton weaver, captain krem (nice pants), Dopey Roper, Mr snow, Mr Howarth, Slap head Parr, Paddy effernan, Miss Gordon (every schoolboys dream).
There was a mad woodwork teacher who threw lumps of wood about, what was he called, also what was the PE teacher called that died at the sport centre?
Yea I remember them well . Mr derek winkley was the maniac woodwork teacher who gave out beatings and threw 3by2 at ur head .. he hung himself violent end to a violent man .. and bob cunliffe was the PE teacher who died at by burn sports centre. He was a real life hero . Served as a para during the Second World War . Was captured by the Germans at the battle of Arnhem in holland and escaped from a German prisoner of war camp to fight some more .. an absolute gent and I class myself as privileged to have been taught by him ,,
accypal6685 likes this.
Pip3747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2017, 16:06   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip3747 View Post
Yea I remember them well . Mr derek winkley was the maniac woodwork teacher who gave out beatings and threw 3by2 at ur head .. he hung himself violent end to a violent man .. and bob cunliffe was the PE teacher who died at by burn sports centre. He was a real life hero . Served as a para during the Second World War . Was captured by the Germans at the battle of Arnhem in holland and escaped from a German prisoner of war camp to fight some more .. an absolute gent and I class myself as privileged to have been taught by him ,,
I totally agree with all that you said about Mr Cunliffe. A truly great man.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
accypal6685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:41   #348
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
Yeh me too only just seen the post...My brother Donald was there from 1954-58...I was there 1964-69 and my nephew Jason was there 1979-84......The English teacher Mr Eric Smith taught all three of us...others I remember...Mr Ogilvy (Music), Mr Barnes (History I think) and Mrs Barnes(history), Mr Howland (woodwork), Mr Eland (Metalwork) Mr Abbott (Physics) Mr Gibson(Geography) Mr Kerr & Mr Waterhouse(Maths) Mr Downs (Chemistry) Mr Cunliffe (PE)and Mr Smith (English) mr Marsden and Mrs Merrigold.

Forget who taught RE, Art, Tech Drawing and History in the 5th year.

I remember the first year classes were at Moorhead Junior school, Then I spent the second year at Haworth st and the 4th and 5th years at the Tech on Union Rd.

I remember when I left it seemed like just another day and we all just went home. Nowadays there seems to be partys, prom nights, last day seems to be a free for all with everyone painting each other and all sorts going on.....Did I miss out somewhere??

Anyone got photos of the 64-69 era.....

Phil
I attended from 1963 to 1968.
Forms 1A and 1X and 1R spent the first year at Moor End school at the top of Ossy.
Second year was at Haworth Street.
Then the A and X forms spent the 3rd, 4th and 5th years down at the Tech.

At the Tech, Mrs Westwell taught Art, Mr Eccles taught Tech Drawing.....
Terry Eccles, appropriately nicknamed ‘Tex’ was a great chap. He was a Rovers supporter and we could easily get him talking about football for at least half a lesson! I think he lived in Rishton, or Blackburn, because he used to catch the train home every afternoon on the opposite platform to us going home to Huncoat with lots of girls from Paddock House going to Burnley!
I loved my time at the Tech as we basically were trusted by the staff and we had the free run of the place. The girls had a small enclosed yard but the boys had the big concrete yard which would have 3 games of footy going on most days and cricket matches in the summer using a mat and those sprung wickets!
Every few weeks Mr Gibson, Geography would come in and tell us a long ‘story’ straight out of his head about world events, cultures and famous people. These were amazing tales and taught us more than all of the other lessons put together. Mr Gibson or ‘Abdul’ as we called him was an inspiration. At the end of his ‘Story’ lessons we would shower him with pennies and half pennies which he spent on his beloved Senior Service fags!
Such happy days at the Tech!
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:43   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Hi, just a quick request from my other half, is there anyone on this site that went to Rhyddings between 1960 and 1964 and especially anyone who knows or knew a lass called Bernadette Flanagan, she was my wifes best mate at school. Thanks.
Hello there,
Just a rewrite of an earlier post, with more people joining Accy Web I thought that I would repost this request in case any new comer remembers the above lass. It is over fifty five years since we last saw her.
Regards, Taddy
P.S. My wifes maiden name was Pickup,(Hazel)
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..