Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2014, 13:55   #31
Junior Member+

Re: Howard & Bullough Toolroom 1940-1946

I was in the Tool Room around 1966-67 as an apprentice. George Crawshaw was the foreman. I also spent time in Planning and tool design around 1971-73 before leaving Platts. I remember Joe Rayner as head of planning and Ronnie Webster as a manager of something? A few other other name ring a bell but can't place a face to the names.
Ken Nash
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2014, 17:08   #32
Full Member+

Anyone remember Jim Ward who lived on Ormerod Street?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:13   #33
jas
Junior Member+

Hello Ken, I left Platts in July 1970 and came to Canada. Living in Cambridge now. A few names from Tool Design, Ken Hindle, Bill Ruane, John Watterson, Mick Grimshaw. A good bunch.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 19:29   #34
Junior Member+

Hi Jas

Small world! I have been in the electricity business since I arrived in Toronto in 1981. I am guessing you may have joined Babcocks? Bullougs and Platts were a great engineering experience.

I remember Bill (lived Rawtenstall way) Mike and John.

Couple more names: Dave Slipper (survived stoke while he was there) and Jack Parr.

cheers
Old 18-07-2015, 08:17   #35

Hi.
I am new to this site.
Does anyone know if Edward Harrison from Emma Street ever worked at H.B.
Thank you for your time
ebonylaurenpauline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 09:42   #36

My Grandfather Albert (Dick) Swain worked at H&B from approx. 1910 until his retirement in approx. 1950. He was the manager of the moulding dept.
He originated from Birmingham and came to Accrington because of his experience in moulding cast steel as opposed to cast iron.
I seem to remember he had a big send off at the then Ritz Ballroom.
He passed away in 1958 at the age of 78 and had lived at 1, Belfield Rd. for most of the time.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon

Late of Belfield Road
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 22:54   #37

Hi Sheila,
My father was a time served engineer at H&B , and left in 1936 to go to Leyland Motors...He was born in 1912, sadly died in 1959, and I remember some of the names I see on here....I was born in Leyland in 1939 and moved to Accrington in 2006...dads Name, ( Frederick Francis Dilworth...)
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 03:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmag View Post
I remember a don mackey who worked in a joiners shop in rishton in the late eighties,used to do a few hours in a morning 3 days a week.he was not long retired a real character.just wondering could this be your dad
Bit late getting back to you but yes it was my Dad. He's been gone a few years now and so has Mum. He loved that little job he had with you, gutted when he was laid off.
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 19:46   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Hello Ken, I left Platts in July 1970 and came to Canada. Living in Cambridge now. A few names from Tool Design, Ken Hindle, Bill Ruane, John Watterson, Mick Grimshaw. A good bunch.
Was at Tech same class as John Watterson he lived on Thorneyholme Rd back then, He will be 70 now if its the same one? dunno what became of him, aint seen him since Moby Dick was a tadpole, was a good lad though.
Old 26-03-2018, 20:03   #40
jas
Junior Member+

Got to be the same John Watterson. He is about the same age as me. He came into the drawing office from the Tool Room and I think he was doing his T2 or T3 up Sandy Lane. We had some good laughs.
Old 27-03-2018, 11:58   #41
Full Member+

Wattie's still with us
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 14:22   #42
jas
Junior Member+

Good to hear
Old 13-05-2018, 03:43   #43
Junior Member+

Remember Wattie very well at H&B and around town. I recall he was a friend of Steve Coulson who lived on Bold Street.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:39   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
Hi. I was an apprentice in the toolroom at H&B, from '62 to '64, as part of a 6 year appreticeship. In '64 I finished my time and in '65 was moved to the Planning Office, where I wrote programs for the Numerical Control machines that H&B were investing in.
The Toolroom foreman in my time was George Crawshaw.
Other names I remember are: Jimmy Butterworth, Alec Staff, John Elwood, Wilson Penny (who smoked Balkan Sobranie in the afternoon), Harry Day, Herbert Sutcliffe, Roy Bradley, Alan Taylor, Albert Cronshaw, Dick Ingham, Charlie Whalley, Bob Jackson, Kevin Birkin. There are lots of others that I cannot recall, although I can see their faces.
I recall them with affection; they are the ones to whom I am indebted for the skills, knowledge and work ethic that have allowed me to have fulfilling, comfortable and useful life.
I am Ivor Gears and would be greatfull if some one else can fill in the gaps of my memory.
I am Roy Elliott I worked in the tool room to about May 1964 then went into T.D.O. till Sept 1964. I remember all those but I think it was Keith Birkins. There was also the Holden brothers , Tommy(jig boring) Johny(shaping) and I think Abert(fitter). There was also a Tony Hewitson who ran the tool annex section. from the T.D.O. I remember Jim Hartley, Terry Mercer, Brian Carlton, John Law, Gordon Birtwistle. I enjoyed my 10 yrs at Bulloughs t moved to Singer Cobble Blackburn
roy elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 19:03   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddie View Post
Sorry I misled you, I have just been corrected by my dad, who has a better memory than me and he is 82yrd old, he tells me my grandfather Arthur Livesey didnt work in the tool room but the ring frame room on the top floor of H & B and he wasnt foreman he was a shop steward. I couldnt have got it more wrong.
I was just wondering if anyone has any photographs of INSIDE H & B
I have a couple of the outside if anyone wants them. I too left Accrington in 1962/63 at the age of 12/13yrs and returned to a much changed Accy in Oct 2004
Sheila
My Father worked in the H & B tool room, moving to Leyland Motors in 1936.He was Freddie Dilworth, and died Christmas eve `1959,,,,,,Tony,,,,Son..
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..