Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 19:58   #16

Re: Howard & Bullough Toolroom 1940-1946

Hi Ivor,
coincidentally I have a couple of friends who live in Woodbridge....Paul and Lesley Hands.....drive a couple of large motorcyles in the area...forget the address...

Know them?

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-04-2012, 20:06   #17

My Dad worked at H & B in the early 60s, not sure where but I used to wave to him through the windows down willows lane. Donald Mackey (gone now!!!!!) anyone remember him?
gdm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 18:02   #18

My dad worked at H&B throughout the war years in the fluted roller section at Stevenson St.He told me many tales of his fire watching duties there,and his dalliances with the influx of female labour at that time.He retired after 35 years there with a gold watch(never knew what happened to it).His name was Albert Duckworth.....
I also worked there for 4 or 5 years in the same section in the early 60,s before migrating to Australia.
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 20:53   #19
Junior Member+

Hi. I don't know them. I actually live in a village called Rendlesham, but Woodbridge is our postal town.
You workstudy guys wore white coats with green collars; the planners had blue collars, the Jig & Tool drafys had red collars. Can you remember the name of the guy in charge of the workstudy dept? (or ratefixers as they were known to me)

Ivor
Ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 18:54   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
Hi. I don't know them. I actually live in a village called Rendlesham, but Woodbridge is our postal town.
You workstudy guys wore white coats with green collars; the planners had blue collars, the Jig & Tool drafys had red collars. Can you remember the name of the guy in charge of the workstudy dept? (or ratefixers as they were known to me)

Ivor
Yeah the colours are right....When I was there Keith Harrison was in charge...I seem to remember Derek Hull (wore a hairpiece), Harry ?, one lad on planning was an albino if i remember..very white hair and dark glasses...cant remember anymore names at the mo...

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 22:12   #21

I remember a don mackey who worked in a joiners shop in rishton in the late eighties,used to do a few hours in a morning 3 days a week.he was not long retired a real character.just wondering could this be your dad
mickmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 19:18   #22
jas
Junior Member+

Ivor Gears, I remember you. I'm Jim Ashworth, I worked with Ken Hindle, Bill Ruane Alan Braithwaite, Norman Butterworth, Alan Briggs etc. wasn't it you who broke your ankle in a football match we had with the design office we called our team Toolventus? They won unfortunately.
jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 14:14   #23
jas
Junior Member+

I remember John Elwood, he lived up Fern Gore I think or around there. I first met mim when I was an apprentice in the tool drawing office. I took 10:1 layouts of tools down for grinding on the shadowgraph. He was in there with Alec Staff. Then he came up into the office as a planner. That was after the big fire we had.
Old 22-07-2012, 10:23   #24
Junior Member+

I remember that match because I broke my wrist (not my ankle). Did you ever buy a suit length from Bill Ruane?
Ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 11:49   #25
jas
Junior Member+

The suit length. I can't remember if I did. I bought a couple of chrome plated horns off him and put them on the Bedford.
Old 14-09-2012, 12:50   #26
Junior Member+

my dad also worked at H&B for many years . his name was Harry Hoyle also very sadly passed a few months after his retirement in 1978 . They called them progress chasers in those days . Suppose that would translate to production controllers these days. My dad was also very involved with Accrington Football combination(remember cleaning all the cups every year for the prize giving) and he was secretary of Sydney street working mens club.
schoneberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2012, 15:57   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoneberg View Post
my dad also worked at H&B for many years . his name was Harry Hoyle also very sadly passed a few months after his retirement in 1978 . They called them progress chasers in those days . Suppose that would translate to production controllers these days. My dad was also very involved with Accrington Football combination(remember cleaning all the cups every year for the prize giving) and he was secretary of Sydney street working mens club.
Me dad was on committee yon,when Harry was secretary, in fact remember him mentioning yer owd man a time or two.
Old 28-09-2012, 18:49   #28

My father worked bulldogs for over forty years he was a progress clerk his name was Tom Feeley.
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 10:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I remember John Elwood, he lived up Fern Gore I think or around there. I first met mim when I was an apprentice in the tool drawing office. I took 10:1 layouts of tools down for grinding on the shadowgraph. He was in there with Alec Staff. Then he came up into the office as a planner. That was after the big fire we had.
John was my Granddad and he lived on Brocklehurst Avenue - glad you remembered him after all these years - passed away 30+ years ago but a real influence on my life
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 19:21   #30
jas
Junior Member+

He was a gent. I can see his face now talking to him in the office, he used to catch the morning bus to work and used to talk to my then girlfriend who worked at Highams.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..