Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-12-2008, 11:18   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Woodnook St Mary's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Mrs Duxbury was the caretaker....I know because she is my Mum.
How is Dorothy? I hav'nt seen her for years. Many years ago when i lived in the Woodnook area, i used to see her every Sunday morning when i took our washing to the launderette on Nuttall Street. And a few years before that your Mum was the only person who used to beat us to the front of the queue at the Ambulance Drill Hall Jumble Sales! She knew my Mum and Dad really well. Nice lady your Mum..a real Character!

I used to attend Woodnook St Marys too. I recall Mrs Waterhouse and Miss Sudall in Juniors. Miss Sudall used to scare me silly! Does anyone remember Mrs Aspden reading "The Magic Faraway Tree" If we were misbehaving she used to threaten us by saying she would'nt read a chapter to us!! Lol! Others i recall are Mrs Demain. Mr Whittaker who was caretaker before Dorothy, Mr Holt (saw him in town last week), Mr Clegg, Mr Whalley. Eric Barton was headmaster then. Do you recall him making things with Gloy Glue, and saying the magic words..."Izzy Wizzy Lets Get Busy...STICK!!" And if we were bad he used to shout at us and say..."You make my Blood Boil" Remember making our own exercise books for "Scripture" with paper and needle and thread? Mr Barton used to take some of us up to King Georges playing fields in his car to mark out the cricket pitch in summer. I recall Mr Whalley playing the Piano with a fag in his mouth too!

Happy Days!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-12-2008, 18:31   #17
Senior Member+

re Woodnook St Marys. although i went to Christ Church, we had to go there for Sunday School - a long long time ago! think I have mentioned this once before but what sticks in my mind is the song when we had the collection - when someone went round with the little wooden "dish" with a handle - here goes "droppin', droppin', droppin', droppin', hear the pennies fall, they belong to Jesus, he shall have them all"
anyone else remember it?

Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:07   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
re Woodnook St Marys. although i went to Christ Church, we had to go there for Sunday School - a long long time ago! think I have mentioned this once before but what sticks in my mind is the song when we had the collection - when someone went round with the little wooden "dish" with a handle - here goes "droppin', droppin', droppin', droppin', hear the pennies fall, they belong to Jesus, he shall have them all"
anyone else remember it?

Atarah

Yes I remember that... used to be in the Choir at Christ Church: Also used to go the Pathfinders.... kind of youth club: happy days
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:55   #19
Senior Member+

Does anyone remember a Disabled Man called Fred, who used to live in the end house on Clement street, opposite Woodnook St Marys. The house had a few steps at the front. He used to come across road at Breaktimes and shake the kids hands through the railings, one heck of a strong grip he had on him too!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 12-03-2009, 11:13   #20
Beacon of light

Taggy, thank you for asking about Ma.......she is still around, though she doesn't get about very well anymore. We try to take her out in her wheelchair as often as we can.

She still has a very sharp mind, and you can't get much past her(though we do try sometimes).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 15:03   #21
Senior Member+

Woodnook St Mary's

Hi, wonder if this photo brings back memories for anyone. Taken 1960 or thereabouts.

ATARAH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WoodnookStMarys1960.JPG (72.2 KB, 117 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 16:59   #22
Senior Member+

Only Mr Barton for me on that one, i'm a bit younger than those on there though, i was only 3 then!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 13-03-2009, 09:09   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Does anyone remember a Disabled Man called Fred, who used to live in the end house on Clement street, opposite Woodnook St Marys. The house had a few steps at the front. He used to come across road at Breaktimes and shake the kids hands through the railings, one heck of a strong grip he had on him too!

Best Regards - Taggy
I remember Fred Taggy, he always came across at break time. I also remember all the other people mentioned too. I was at the school in the late 50s. Then went up to Woodnook secondry school, then Hollins when it opened. Happy days.
Old 13-03-2009, 11:51   #24
Beacon of light

I was speaking with my Ma today and she confirms that the school doubled as a sunday School, though she couldn't rememebr just when it was.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2009, 16:27   #25
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post

Best Regards - Taggy
That would be Fred Lingard, his lad Kevin went there the same time as me 63-70 also some names from the past-
Derek Power
George Maguire
Rob Clarke
Brian Ashworth
Philip Edge
Christopher Whittaker
and many more.
Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 14:39   #26
Resting in Peace

Here is a school photo from around 1970 ish ..... the teacher is Mr Whalley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg school70.JPG (160.0 KB, 121 views)
Shaz61 and GeoSimk like this.
Old 22-03-2009, 11:09   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
Woaaa I was there then 67-68 Mr Hargreaves was the head and used to frighten me to death, he was vicious.
I went up to Hollins in 68 and left school in 69
Who was Mr Hargreaves? I dont recall him at all. Mr Barton was Headmaster from 1938-1974. Did he have any time off perhaps for illhealth during that time and this Mr Hargreaves come in then perhaps?

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 22-03-2009, 11:14   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
That would be Fred Lingard, his lad Kevin went there the same time as me 63-70 also some names from the past-
Derek Power
George Maguire
Rob Clarke
Brian Ashworth
Philip Edge
Christopher Whittaker
and many more.
I dont think we are talking about the same chap Trev. As far as i know Kev's Dad is still alive and used to sing in the Choir at Christ Church so it could'nt be the same chap, but perhaps they were related in another way, i dont know. I sometimes see Kev's older brother around (Dave) so will ask if i see him. Not seen Kev for years since he moved to Sabden. Used to play on the clubs under the name Kurt Henderson, then went playing in tribute bands..The New Amen Corner and The Hermans Hermits!

Best Regards - Taggy
Old 29-03-2009, 10:00   #29
Senior Member+

Here's a photo of a Nativity play at Woodnook St Marys taken prob around 1966/67. Some of the names in the photo are:- Susan Bailey, Janice Shaw, Mick Dean, Kevin Hudson, Paul Johnson, Paul Taylforth, Angela Gaskell, John Humphreys, Ian Coffey, Janet Yates, Peter Whittaker, Rory Martin, Sharon Martin, Joan Walmsley, Elaine Lee, Denise Mitchell, David Rosthorn. Others i can only recall bits of names, a girl called Carol, a lad named Gudgeon, and two brothers right on the end i cant quite recall names of.

I've also found an old photo from 1937 when my Mum and Uncle were there, with some names written on, will put this on soon, but away for a few days now!

Best Regards - Taggy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg st mary056.JPG (130.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 10-03-2011, 14:27   #30
Resting in Peace

ha ha... nice one taggy:

I remember that big cupboard… it is where the first aid was kept: a roll of cotton wool and a big bottle of watered down detol…. I wonder how we survived….. we also used to throw the wet balls of cotton wool to the ceiling… and next to that was the clock that I always used to wish was 3 o’clock

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..