Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-01-2014, 03:21   #16

Re: Barnes rellies

Just obtained the Probate of a Will of WILLIAM BARNES of Oakenshaw, Clayton-le-Moors.
It seems he owned 9 leasehold cottages in Albert, Victoria and William Streets at Oakenshaw at the time of his passing in 1866.
William and his wife Mary nee Heap had 8 children, only one of which survived to 1866.
His wife died in 1833 and his occupation was given as a Coal Dealer and Yeoman.
I can't find any notices relating to the deaths of his children except Heap Barnes (1808);
His surviving child was Ellen (1809) who married William Crawshaw around 1828.
They had 3 sons.....Philip, Jonathan and Haworth Crawshaw.
It seems from the Will, that Philip C. left his wife, Ann Nuttall and children and some data I saw stated he was found living in the USA, but I have not proven his whereabouts.
A John Brown was also described "as if a grandchild" and was living with William Barnes(Widower) in 1861 aged 17 yrs. Wheelwright. By 1871 John Brown was married. I could not find any earlier history of John Brown.
William Barnes was one of 12 children to George and Mary Barnes, he was the last surviving sibling when he died in August 1866. His Executors were his nephews, Joseph and Robert Barnes of Dyke Nook Accrington, sons of Henry Joseph Barnes and wife Ellen Birtwistle.
Anyone interested in my Barnes ancestors may like to see this.
Cheers,
Barnsie
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-01-2014, 11:42   #17
Senior Member+

Re: Barnes rellies

Intrigue - how come he was favouring young John Brown. Where was Brown's mother? I wonder if the coal chap Dick Heap, who lived in Pilot St in the 1950s and who moved into demolition ( I think ) , was a descendant of Mrs Barnes. Is the firm still going? Might William St be named after your William?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..