Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2010, 19:50   #46

Re: Crawshaw Street Accrington

Atkiman just picked up again on this thread reminds me the last time I saw you you were with bowkers veteran wagon at fleetwood tram day quite a few years ago at that time you were living up dillhall I myself have moved on a bit now living the life at sunny morecambe and loving it Some of the old things though you never forget the stormy meetings on a sunday morning at the miners club I wonder how freddie greer going on and have lost touch with a lot of the old jacks and gilbraiths drivers in fact I must be the only ex jacks driver left as over the years several have passed away some of them quite young really must have been all that chasing about we had to do A few names billy crossley raymond newell the late denis sandiford jimmy dewhurst and of course rt he sent me a e-mail with some pictures of jacks motors marathons and crusaders which made me think about the days long gone
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2010, 21:42   #47
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Fred Greers fine lives oer bury way, owd mate of mine.
Old 23-02-2010, 08:47   #48
Senior Member+

I spent many an hour with Fred Greer either waiting for a load at BP Hull where we were both on contract or sat in the digs up Spring Grove.
Fred went on to be a big shot in the T&GWU and I took over from him as shop steward at Gilbraith Tankers for the next 20 odd years.
Fred Woods is still knocking around and I will be supping with Alan Luke in the Con Club Read tonight. Roy Duffield is retired and living up Ossy way.

I don't think any of my old drinking mates from the Horse Shoe who were drivers are still around, I hope so and they pop up on here one day. A reunion would be nice. Zimmer frames and mobo buggies are not compulsary.

Gremlin R.T.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 09:51   #49
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yep gremlin fred became District Officer fer region 6, best D.O. i ever had, moved onto transport side oer bury n then we lost touch.
Old 26-02-2010, 16:53   #50
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooinda View Post
Pete, I sure remember you, at present I am in South America, not always a good connection, I am back in UK around 15th March, will contact you then.
Good luck
Terry
Great Stuff Terry. Look forward to hearing from you, Pete
atkiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 16:59   #51
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Atkiman just picked up again on this thread reminds me the last time I saw you you were with bowkers veteran wagon at fleetwood tram day quite a few years ago at that time you were living up dillhall I myself have moved on a bit now living the life at sunny morecambe and loving it Some of the old things though you never forget the stormy meetings on a sunday morning at the miners club I wonder how freddie greer going on and have lost touch with a lot of the old jacks and gilbraiths drivers in fact I must be the only ex jacks driver left as over the years several have passed away some of them quite young really must have been all that chasing about we had to do A few names billy crossley raymond newell the late denis sandiford jimmy dewhurst and of course rt he sent me a e-mail with some pictures of jacks motors marathons and crusaders which made me think about the days long gone
Hiya Kieth, RT said he had been in touch. I am still living with the same woman up dill hall. Nice to here from you. As for the names you mention, Don't knmow how Raymond newall is, never seen him for years, Billy Crossley had a bad experience in Italy and so vowed never to sleep in a lorry again. He was on the wallpaper shunt job with Billy Haworth until he retired. B H is still on that job. Never seen Jimmy "Bugsy" Dewhurst since he left Bowkers. I went to see Jack Birchall last summer, after he had been up at ours, and speak to him qiute often on the phone. Take care mate, if you are ever in accy, give me a shout, take care Kieth, Pete
Old 21-03-2010, 12:23   #52
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkiman View Post
Great Stuff Terry. Look forward to hearing from you, Pete
Hi Pete, I am back now, are you still in Accrington.

Terry.
cooinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:27   #53
Junior Member+

Hiya Terry, sorry for the delay getting back mate. Yes, I am still in Accy, well, Church anyway. I will be away for a few weeks, but will get in touch when I get back, Pete
Old 04-05-2012, 18:29   #54

Hi there just noticed your writeups on the Accrington Web.My husband Maurice Gudgeon
lived on Crawshaw St sounds like you Knew the family Maurice is the eldest then Barbara
David Kath Gordon and James.Regards
Star over Pendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 21:01   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I am a good mate of the Atkiman above and am glad I found this forum for us.
I came over to Accrington from Yorkshire in about 1966/7 and started to frequent the Horseshoe pub when I started work for Gilbraith Tankers and knew a few other drivers who used it.
Stan Hindle lived next door to the pub and he was a driver and a mate of mine, Phillomina lived next down and played the piano there ( she was never sober) Next down was came another drinking partner of mine and a driver called Ted Sharples, his son also came in.. Tommy Greenwood was another tankerman now deceased who drank there..Jack Leach, Big Fry and his dad John Seary thelist goes on but not my memory. I was in most nights when I was not away from home with the tanker and weekends most of the day, that's when I saw the blacksmith clogging the horses.

I used the 'shoe till it closed and then started to use the Royal on Meadow street or new Brewery tother end of Hood street where I lived.

I have a copy of the photo which Atkiman posted and was amazed when he gave it to me a while ago. It brought back somne happy memories, I met my present wife there over 40 years ago.

Gremlin. R.T.
Just seen this Gremlin missed it being away when yeh posted a couple of years ago, Ted Sharples i knew n both his sons, Steve the youngest i think was a mate of mine back then, His other son was Bob who actually became Landlord of the Horseshoe around late 60s, he came after Duggie who had taken oer the Mill Gap in darwen.
Old 05-05-2012, 13:49   #56
Junior Member+

Yes, I remember the Gudgeon family well, our next door neighbours were called Feltel, (I think thats how it is spelt), then I think it was the Davidsons, then your family Gudgeons.

Latest news is Crawshaw Street is to become the new Accy bus station.
cooinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 21:12   #57
Junior Member+

HI lets start in Crawshaw street there were George Gresham Harry & Cath Philiton.Peter &
Stewart Davidson. David Creeg. Burnerd noalon. Jimmy Smith. Peter Mc cocky. Maurice Barbara David Kath Gordon & James Gudgeon. Stewart Philipson. Lets go round the corner to School Street there were Gordon Raymond Margaret Brenda Pauline Askew.

ASKEY
asky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 22:27   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asky View Post
HI lets start in Crawshaw street there were George Gresham Harry & Cath Philiton.Peter &
Stewart Davidson. David Creeg. Burnerd noalon. Jimmy Smith. Peter Mc cocky. Maurice Barbara David Kath Gordon & James Gudgeon. Stewart Philipson. Lets go round the corner to School Street there were Gordon Raymond Margaret Brenda Pauline Askew.

ASKEY
Knew Bernard Nolan well way back also the Gudgeons, n mated fer a while wi Gordon Askew, One of the girls won Miss Accrington way back as i assume yeh would be aware?
Old 09-06-2012, 21:06   #59
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
I remember School Street, a girl called Margaret lived on there with her brothers, next to the alley way. We also got saw dust from the Joiners down there for our rabbit.
I think Margaret was crowned Miss Accrington one year in the Parade they used to have.
Can't remember her last name
Margaret Askew.
Old 09-06-2012, 21:10   #60
Junior Member+

Margaret Askew.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..