Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 09:43   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Any oldies from Hyndburn Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlepom View Post
Hi Bob
would love to know what happened to the girls. Was great friends with Audrey her mum and dad had a pub at Baxenden just higher up than Nobby's corner. COME ON WHERE ARE THE GIRLS NOW????
so many memories. Knowlmere St, Joe Morts, Con club. All the trips to Blackpool. Those were the days. Lots of happy times. Barrie Yates, Janet Gaines as was, Joan Wright as was now married to Bob Fletcher quite a famous Wild Life Artist now in the Lake District. By the way Bob all good boppers.
Cheers. Marion. x
Worked with Bob Fletcher back in 63 as butcher at slingers Load of Mischief, he was strong as n ox, daft as brush, before he cleared off up the lakes, probably why we got on so well.
Old 11-01-2010, 16:33   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I recall the name, but cannot remember her face. Did she wear navy blue knickers ? Of course she did - they all did. The name of barbara Lyons of Dill Hall Lane has just come to my mind
Dark Hair about 5' 5", well endowed for her age then - guess I was 15, was still at school, so reckon she would be 1 or 2 years younger than me - your age I think.

Did you know Trevor Rushton - he was about your age and lived in either Leyland St or Persia St at the time I lived in Lonsdale St?
Old 16-01-2010, 00:29   #18
Junior Member+

Quote:
I left Hyndburn Park in 1956. Was it Miss Johnson the art teacher.
I can remember Mr Rothwell, Mr Aspden, Mr Hill (Maths). Was the headmaster Idris Davies? Mrs Stevenson and Mrs Neil (Music I think)
My name was Marion Walsh, my late brother was Ian Walsh (Maverick). Now live in NSW Australia.
Cheers.
Hiya littlepom, I remember some of the teachers you mention. Glad to see that you got Mr Aspden's name right. If you recall, he was always on about folk calling him Aspin, which really annoyed him. I also remember thinking that the head master Mr Davies spoke funny. Didn't realise at that tender age that he was Welsh!! I remember Mrs Stevenson who took the girls for P T, but I remember her short P T skirt more. I think I had a school boy crush on her. And you are correct, Mrs Neil did take music. I'm afraid I don't remember Mr Hill though, and as for Mr Rothwell, he left an everlasting scar on me, mentaly of course, by the way he treat me after we had sat our 11 plus exam. We took our seats the day after the results were out, and Rothwell said that he would point to us all in turn, and that we had to say "Pass" or "Fail". He pointed to each one of us in turn and waited for an answer, but when he got to me, before I could say anything, he just dismissed me with a wave of his hand and a grunt. I thought that that was an awful way to treat a child, and I have never forgotten it. Although your name rings a bell Marion, and your brothers as well, I can't recall you I'm afraid. I must have left the school in 1957, so you were probably in a class higher than me. My name is Peter Davison and Billy Haworth and Billy Gelder were in my class.

Last edited by atkiman; 16-01-2010 at 00:33.
atkiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 17:11   #19
Senior Member+

Post Re: Any oldies from Hyndburn Park

After some thought - I have just realised that this link could be dangerous - is there a Statute of Limitations that may apply.
I am pretty sure that Doreen was in the same class as Littlepom. Therefore as I was 15, and they, she - being approximately the same age as Littlepom, were a couple of years younger than me - oh dear, and Littlepom - but I didn't know Littlepom until a couple of years later - the Knowlemere Street years. She will remember them.
Old 03-02-2010, 19:11   #20

Sally Iredale, Mrs Nield died some time ago at a ripe old age? Mammy Howes? Mrs Cooper did D S? Sports master did a bit for Stanley?
Old 03-02-2010, 19:47   #21
Senior Member+

Bill Gelder, mentioned earlier, lives on Hyndburn Rd within spitting distance of the school gates at the bottom of Owd Bob's
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 17:15   #22
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Bill Gelder, mentioned earlier, lives on Hyndburn Rd within spitting distance of the school gates at the bottom of Owd Bob's
Very true. Sometimes I spot him leaning over the gate, watching the world go by.
atkiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 19:37   #23
Senior Member+

I heard today that Doreen Mills had passed away recently in South Africa, no details but I understand she had not been well for some time.
I knoew her when she was at Hyndburn Park School and she lived across the road from me in Lonsdale St, she was odd numbered (LH side going towards the bridge), I think 2 down from the railway bridge.
I have one special thank you to Doreen, God Bless You, wherever you are now.
Barrie XXX
Old 20-03-2010, 15:05   #24

Hi, I attended Hyndburn Park...started in the infants, went through the juniors and then in to the seniors, but then my mother died in 1957 and I left the school at that time, I was in the first or second year of the senior school, and aged 11 yrs. 9 months..
Would love to know if there are any group pictures around...I have written to the school to see if there are any archives. I lived in Crawshaw Street and used to walk to School along Hyndburn Road..although sometimes along Blackburn Road.
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 05:52   #25
Senior Member+

i used to goto hyndburn park.......

teachers i recall are mrs frankland and mr thompson......mr thompson was weird he used to tell us that if we didnt behave he would strip naked and jump out of the window
Old 21-03-2010, 11:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Worked with Bob Fletcher back in 63 as butcher at slingers Load of Mischief, he was strong as n ox, daft as brush, before he cleared off up the lakes, probably why we got on so well.
Bob is still around doing well. Has a great website to see his work. Come a long way since being a butcher at Slingers. bobfletcherwildlifeartist have a look.
littlepom
littlepom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 12:35   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Bob is still around doing well. Has a great website to see his work. Come a long way since being a butcher at Slingers. bobfletcherwildlifeartist have a look.
littlepom
cheers mate was good to see bobs site,
Old 29-11-2014, 20:06   #28
Junior Member+

Hi, Geoff Watson. I left in 1956. Spent 38yrs with the ambulance service. I remember talking Sally Nield home from Hospital just before she died. She was a great lady.
Soloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 21:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpas3 View Post
Come on the Oldies, Hyndburn Park from 1956 to 1961,come on down Jennifer Jones, Sharon Jones, Ian McGlaughlin etc, who was in assembly when Miss Hope arrived and 100 teenage lads fell in love.
Who went to the party at her place, when Ricky Stewart was playing football with a cabbage in the street
Who got the Exorcett chalkboard rubber of Mr Batty?
Who managed to break Miss Johnsons ruler with their hand

Come on folks there must be someone remembers, Who ended up on the wreck after school? usually ME!!!!!!!!!!
My brother Glynne went to Hyndburn Park. But he is not old, he is only 76. Frank
Frank Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..