Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-02-2012, 02:53   #16
Junior Member+

Re: woodnook sec school

My favourite teacher was Mr. Pickles, Some guys might say Miss Ironfield.
PiperAdrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-02-2012, 20:55   #17

My Dad went there but im not sure what year ,David Barber ,he lived on richmond hill st
ian
ian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 20:48   #18

Hello Christine Spud.
Sorry I could not reply sooner. Have more trouble getting on this accy webb, it thinks, it is Fort Knox. Yes I remember Colin very well,and John and Stuart.Got in touch with Alf Hockett.We both live in Ontario Canada.He lives about 150 miles away from me. Alf has a farm and guest house.but he calls himself John Hockett.Last time we were in Accy I saw John Davis, he said he had cancer. Then I read he died in the observer.
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian1 View Post
My Dad went there but im not sure what year ,David Barber ,he lived on richmond hill st
ian
I know your Dad well. I used to live on Hope Street
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 20:52   #20

sorry Christine .
I called you Christine Spud ,but we named Colin Spud at school.My little joke.
Mick Pettifer.
mickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 18:51   #21
Junior Member+

Hi mick See john alf hockett has done alright for himself looks a nice place he has. I now go to christine's son's house in Vancouver B.C after never been abroad in my life. great place but very expensive. We are hoping to go again in June for six weeks, it's a pain that getting through security at Manchester. We got the security officer from hell at Calgary who thought atora suet paste was summat else, we changed plane their to a Westjet one, far more comfy than the big one. Spud @ Christine.
christine wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 20:22   #22

I remember he was quite dishy
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 16:33   #23
Junior Member+

I went to woodnhook 1961 to 1965 Had two brothers their Ray & Roy Southern. my class teacher was Barry Arthur Gale anyone remember him.
preston1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 18:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston1950 View Post
I went to woodnhook 1961 to 1965 Had two brothers their Ray & Roy Southern. my class teacher was Barry Arthur Gale anyone remember him.
I was At Woodnook from 1958 to 1963, I still have a football team photograph of the Woodnook School Football team of the 1962/63 season with your brother Roy, Pat Varley, Jack and John Duckworth among others.
Please remember me to Roy if he is still going, (of which I hope he still is).
My nickname then, as now is Taddy, (aka, Mick Hadfield), from Huncoat.
All the best, Regards, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 19:42   #25
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston1950 View Post
I was at Woodnook until 1962. Roy southern was in my Year.
Mr Gale was my form master in my second year....I do not have good memories of him he was a portly bespectacled man who liked to use the cane.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 19:53   #26
Beacon of light

oh there are a lot of names there that bring back memories.....David Barber ( I worked with his wife Linda at QPH)...Brian Blinco was in my year too....I remember the Duckworth boys John and Jack(not related) I also remember Patrick Varley and Roy Wallace(they were considered 'bad boys' but were only up to mischief really).
I remember a lot of the Teachers. Mrs Ashcroft(music) Miss Atherton (art) Mrs Thompson (RE) Mrs Rawcliffe (Geography) Mrs Whittaker(PE) she was the wife of Jim Bowen...Mr Allen headmaster...and Scary Mr Suthers(maths) Mr Gale, Miss Croston....if I rattle the grey cells I am sure I could think of more
Old 07-08-2019, 10:09   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
oh there are a lot of names there that bring back memories.....David Barber ( I worked with his wife Linda at QPH)...Brian Blinco was in my year too....I remember the Duckworth boys John and Jack(not related) I also remember Patrick Varley and Roy Wallace(they were considered 'bad boys' but were only up to mischief really).
I remember a lot of the Teachers. Mrs Ashcroft(music) Miss Atherton (art) Mrs Thompson (RE) Mrs Rawcliffe (Geography) Mrs Whittaker(PE) she was the wife of Jim Bowen...Mr Allen headmaster...and Scary Mr Suthers(maths) Mr Gale, Miss Croston....if I rattle the grey cells I am sure I could think of more
Mr Milton Suthers was an inspiration to any lad who was prepared to muck in and try his best to be the best under his tuition at any form of sport but woe betide you if you tried to pull a fast one on him.
As for Miss Croston, (probably straight out of teacher training school) and very attactive,also not much older than the 14/15 year old lads she was attempting to teach,who were full of testosterone; she had a hard time getting her male pupils to concentrate on their lessons shall we say.
As this is a family site I cannot express it any stronger.
Your's as always, Taddy.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:46   #28
Beacon of light

Yes you are right about Miss Croston...the boys were unruly and had her in tears more than once.
She was my form teacher in the third year and the girls in her class felt very sorry for her and we collected the magnificent sum of ten shillings and sixpence and we went on the Market and bought her a fashionable bag to put her classroom notes in.
She taught English and art...in fact she did a picture of me in oils.
My sister took this back to Brisbane when we cleared Ma's house.
Old 07-08-2019, 18:47   #29
Senior Member+

I went to Rhyddings but knew you lads as I lived on Rydal Close......
Robert Mitchell......
I remember we used to knock about and roamed everywhere getting up to all sorts of stuff. Roland made some ‘devices’ using his ‘chemistry skills’ and we even had a copper wire and syrup tin telephone between our back bedrooms! I remember Roland’s dog called Chum.
The weeks before bonfire neet used to be exciting as we collected tons of wood and raided each other’s developing bonfires. Train spotting also comes to mind on the bridge down Bolton Avenue...
Lots of happy times guys.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 19:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I was At Woodnook from 1958 to 1963, I still have a football team photograph of the Woodnook School Football team of the 1962/63 season with your brother Roy, Pat Varley, Jack and John Duckworth among others.
Please remember me to Roy if he is still going, (of which I hope he still is).
My nickname then, as now is Taddy, (aka, Mick Hadfield), from Huncoat.
All the best, Regards, Taddy.
I am afraid that I have to alter the above statement to read, ( I was at Woodnook from 1958 until 1962), not 1963 as I first stated, it was only after reading Margarets post that I realised that we were both in the same class for the last two year's; thanks for reminding me Marge.
As ever, stay happy, Your's, Taddy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..