Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2011, 08:52   #1
Mog

Huncoat Colliery

Just wondering if there are any old coal miners on here. I worked at Huncoat Colliery from 1962 to 1968. Did a little at Hapton Valley then moved to Coventry Colliery until 1992.
Dicky likes this.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2011, 08:53   #2
God Member

Re: Huncoat Colliery

i'm sure my grandad used to work at that one, don't know what years though - Archie Mclean
Old 15-03-2011, 13:54   #3
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
i'm sure my grandad used to work at that one, don't know what years though - Archie Mclean
Was he a large gentleman with grey hair and glasses.
Old 15-03-2011, 17:27   #4
Senior Member+

My dad worked there as an electrician Bryan Yates.
Old 15-03-2011, 17:42   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mog View Post
Was he a large gentleman with grey hair and glasses.
he was slim, about 6ft, no glasses and i don't know how his hair was back then, i wasn't born
Old 15-03-2011, 19:33   #6

My Gt. grandfather John Floyd came up from Cornwall when the tin mines closed and helped to sink Huncoat pit and then worked there for many years.He had a big family almost all girls but my grandfather did not follow in his footsteps and left Huncoat with my mother about 1912 to move to Accrington.It's not quite your time at the pit Mog,but still part of it's history.
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 19:55   #7
Junior Member+

my husband david sidebottom worked at huncoat and hapton valley he left valley to go to parkside but cant remember the years he did have a spell in mansfield ,,,,,,,
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 20:26   #8
God Member

My dad thinks that my grandad (his ex father in law) used to work at a drift mine, somewhere near Rosegrove, was there one there?
Old 18-03-2011, 20:37   #9
Senior Member+

I am pretty sure Thorny Bank was a drift mine. It was just Accrington side of the Hapton Inn and not far from Rose Grove. I drove a coal tipper for a short while and loaded there a few times, A NCB man showed me the entrance to the drift once and I vowed that if I had to starve I would never venture down a coal mine. Silly me went down Hapton Valley one shut down with a mate who was an engineer. The men who work underground deserve every penny they get, and more.
Old 24-03-2011, 08:20   #10
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I am pretty sure Thorny Bank was a drift mine. It was just Accrington side of the Hapton Inn and not far from Rose Grove. I drove a coal tipper for a short while and loaded there a few times, A NCB man showed me the entrance to the drift once and I vowed that if I had to starve I would never venture down a coal mine. Silly me went down Hapton Valley one shut down with a mate who was an engineer. The men who work underground deserve every penny they get, and more.

You are quite right, Thorny Bank was a drift mine. But there was also a drift into Hapton Valley mine. This was used as a conveyor system to bring coal out of the mine. I worked mainly at Huncoat and here are a few names of the young timber lads as we wetre called before we did our coal face training. Tony Boardman, Malcolm Taylor, Roy Tattersal, Alan Macnamara, Pat Varley, Dave and Mick Higgson, Brian Stevenson,
Ian (Pocket) Powers, Billy Baron. Will have think of some more.
Old 24-03-2011, 10:08   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
You are quite right, Thorny Bank was a drift mine. But there was also a drift into Hapton Valley mine. This was used as a conveyor system to bring coal out of the mine. I worked mainly at Huncoat and here are a few names of the young timber lads as we wetre called before we did our coal face training. Tony Boardman, Malcolm Taylor, Roy Tattersal, Alan Macnamara, Pat Varley, Dave and Mick Higgson, Brian Stevenson,
was at Bank Hall training pit meself, best job i ever got sacked from. knew most of the lads yeh mention Mog, Pat Varley was a good mate of mine, croaked a good few years back. another yeh may know who was a good mate of pats n mine was "Trev"-Brian Trevithick? your kids in that list aint he?

Last edited by cashman; 24-03-2011 at 10:11.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 13:47   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
My mate was Ken Lowe and he was an engineer. He later moved to Yorkshire pits and then somewhere down on the South coast.
Old 24-03-2011, 20:09   #13

dont know much about pits im glad to say but about 60 yrs ago yes i can remember that far back just a trip was arranged from all saints church clayton to go down hapton valley pit i dont remember much about it but about 40 yrs ago i went down huncoat pit with a group of women from the meter testing station in clayton i do remember a bloke called brian maden & others took us down i was quite impressed at the bottom of the lift shaft quite high with strip lighting that was the best bit until we finished up in a local pub about 90 min later i couldnt believe men worked in such awful conditions they deserve every penny they earn violet
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2011, 22:40   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyLes View Post
My Gt. grandfather John Floyd came up from Cornwall when the tin mines closed and helped to sink Huncoat pit and then worked there for many years..

One side of my grandmothers family were tin miners in Cornwall before moving up here. I wonder if it was for the same reason
Old 24-03-2011, 23:05   #15
God Member

Whilst digging around I found this if it's of any interest

Hapton Valley and other North East and Mid Lancashire Collieries.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..