Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 16:11   #1
Junior Member+

Post Family research

I know this is a long shot but here goes....I am currently researching my family and wondered if anyone knew anything about them. The name is Rishton (some say Rushton) and they lived at Biggins Bedlam Green Haworth, for many years, until my grandmother Florence Rishton (nee Davenport) died in 1947. My father was William, and his siblings were Walter, Edward, Annie,& Nellie. Their father was Thomas Rishton. They all went to Green Haworth School.
For many years Walter used to collect glasses in the Bridge on Church St, and was quite a local character.
If any one has any info about the Rishtons or the Davenports, please let me know. I can give further info if required.
Regards Carole
Ent8 likes this.
carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2008, 14:05   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Family research

I currently own Biggins Farm, and wondered if you have any information on it or photos etc? I'm currently researching the place, so if we have any info to share - great!
Jackiegibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:34   #3
Senior Member+

Did you buy Biggins from the Addison family? I'm related to them.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46   #4
Senior Member+

In the last week I have been talking family history and the Bridge pub, Church st came into the story. I was helped by Mrs Susan Johnson,(Mayoress) landlady of the Peel Park, whose family had the Bridge. Might be worth speaking with her.Then there's the Bridge in Church.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 15:58   #5
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiegibbo View Post
I currently own Biggins Farm, and wondered if you have any information on it or photos etc? I'm currently researching the place, so if we have any info to share - great!
Sorry, I have no info re Biggins farm. You might get some at the local studies library.
Carole
Old 09-09-2008, 15:20   #6
Junior Member+

Hi, no I bought the farm from the Davies', who were there since 1982, I believe. Do you have any info on the place, ie, did it have a cellar (it used to be the Colliers Arms, so I assume it did!), or any pics? Thanks, Jackie
Old 09-09-2008, 17:18   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiegibbo View Post
Hi, no I bought the farm from the Davies', who were there since 1982, I believe. Do you have any info on the place, ie, did it have a cellar (it used to be the Colliers Arms, so I assume it did!), or any pics? Thanks, Jackie
In the mid 1800's, the landlady of the Colliers Arms was Mary Haworth.

I remember a house fire on that row of cottages, think it was in the 1970's. The family in the house at the time had something to do with the garage and workshop at the top of Willows Lane.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 09-09-2008 at 17:21.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 17:37   #8
Junior Member+

Lynch Bros. garage was at the top of Willows Lane on the right just before the bend in the road.
Old 10-10-2008, 13:01   #9
Junior Member+

Hi,

I'm doing some family history searching - and my guys the Marsdens have links to both Bedlam, and Green Haworth - but I know v little more than names right now. I'd be intereseted in anything anyone knows.... the time frame is 1810 - 1825
bagpuss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 14:52   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagpuss1 View Post
Hi,

I'm doing some family history searching - and my guys the Marsdens have links to both Bedlam, and Green Haworth - but I know v little more than names right now. I'd be intereseted in anything anyone knows.... the time frame is 1810 - 1825
In the 1841 census there are three distinct places, Biggins, Bedlam and Moorgate, there is a hard back indexed copy of the 1841 census in Accrington Library.
The 1828 survey shows it as part of Rothwells.
Tenants of Cottages are show as
(1) John Ramsbottom
(2) Sunday School.
(3) Joseph Cunliffe.
(4) Jonathan Melody
(5) Jonathan Tomlinson
(6) Clogging Shop
(7) Daniel Pickup

The 1841 Census only shows two family's called Marsden
one is in Swan St, which became Adelaide St.

The other is in Spring Gardens which became Abbey St.
Not the one down by the police station.

Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-10-2008 at 14:59.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 12:17   #11
Junior Member+

Retlaw - thanks - I think my time frame is a little earlier than the 1841 census - I've been looking at baptism records from the Church in Accy, which shows a James Marsden (parents from Green Haworth) baptised in 1816. I'm not 100% that this is the right relative - but if it is, then it is he who by 1841 is in Swan Street.
bagpuss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 13:36   #12
Junior Member+

Hello Janet, sorry to bother you, but I ahve been looking on the Common Land register and have come up with the name Henry Addison, 4 Tower Castle, Combwich, Bridgewater, somerset. Is this one of your relatives? I could do with a little help on my research, and would greatly appreciate it!!! Thank you. Jackie
Old 07-11-2009, 08:04   #13
Senior Member+

pm sent
Old 18-02-2010, 15:12   #14
Junior Member+

Hi there!
I've also been looking into the history of Biggins Farm, and I'm sure on my deeds somewhere, the name James Marsden is mentioned. I will check it out and let you know.

Regards,
Jackie
Old 19-12-2011, 15:47   #15
Junior Member+

my great grand father lived at biggins Farm, my mother grew up there, The addison family. I do not really know where Biggins farm is
waynefitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..