Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-09-2011, 06:32   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: World War One

His medal roll index card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg medal card..jpg (42.6 KB, 18 views)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-09-2011, 08:28   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't think Retlaw would see it as 'bother'....he would see it as helping a family who lost one of their boys in the conflict.
Ya Margaret, knowing Walter like I do he would only be too pleased to help, its right up his street
Old 26-09-2011, 11:15   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
A good suggestion Retlaw but Mary Hope´s parents were Hopes too! Thank you for Harry´s info. Such a shame.

Lovely Katex. I had discovered that his name was on the memorial at Clayton so thanks for the pic.

I never expected to learn so much today when I started this post and my thanks go to all of you xx
Thats not a problem, she may have married some one called Hope, or had children and retained her maiden name, have you checked the census returns.
Retlaw
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 11:22   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya Margaret, knowing Walter like I do he would only be too pleased to help, its right up his street
Jaysay.
This to you
Retlaw.
Old 26-09-2011, 12:04   #20
Senior Member+

Thank you Rindy x

I have done some research on Mary Hope. She married George Yates when she was nineteen and she had eight siblings none of them named Harry. Parents, John Hope and Amelia Laycock.

Not having done anything for a couple of years I haven´t looked at the 1911 census.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 13:17   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post
Thank you Rindy x

I have done some research on Mary Hope. She married George Yates when she was nineteen and she had eight siblings none of them named Harry. Parents, John Hope and Amelia Laycock.

Not having done anything for a couple of years I haven´t looked at the 1911 census.
Matthew Yates.
Private 17873. 11th East Lancs
was an original Accrington Pal.
Matthew didn't take part in the battle of the Somme
He was transferred to the Royal Guernsey Light Infantry.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-09-2011 at 13:19. Reason: Spelling
Old 26-09-2011, 17:44   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Jaysay.
This to you
Retlaw.
Hey wrong Web Site for that matey
Old 30-09-2011, 13:40   #23
Full Member+

Walter, I wonder if you could post the medal index card for this chap for me: James Shearon, pte 122114 RAMC. You gave me some info and newspaper cuttings on his brother John Shearon a while back. John died at Arras but his brother James survived the war and I'm married to his granddaughter.
Thanks, Steve
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 19:10   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Walter, I wonder if you could post the medal index card for this chap for me: James Shearon, pte 122114 RAMC. You gave me some info and newspaper cuttings on his brother John Shearon a while back. John died at Arras but his brother James survived the war and I'm married to his granddaughter.
Thanks, Steve
Sorry Steve, James didn't qualify for any medals, although he was attested in 1915, he was not mobilised until 1917, he never left England, therefore no medals.
Retlaw.
Old 30-09-2011, 19:36   #25
Full Member+

Quote:
Sorry Steve, James didn't qualify for any medals, although he was attested in 1915, he was not mobilised until 1917, he never left England, therefore no medals.
Retlaw.
Thanks for that - could be one of the reasons he survived! What made me think was when I read John Shearon's obituary it mentioned that he had another brother serving in France - maybe he had yet another brother I haven't found yet (I'm still researching the wife's family)
Old 30-09-2011, 19:51   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks for that - could be one of the reasons he survived! What made me think was when I read John Shearon's obituary it mentioned that he had another brother serving in France - maybe he had yet another brother I haven't found yet (I'm still researching the wife's family)
There are 4 more Shearon's in my files.
Anthony. lived in Rishton
Joseph. lived in Rishton
Joseph. lived in Rishton
Thomas. lived in Gt Harwood.

Retlaw.
Old 30-09-2011, 20:10   #27
Full Member+

Quote:
There are 4 more Shearon's in my files.
Anthony. lived in Rishton
Joseph. lived in Rishton
Joseph. lived in Rishton
Thomas. lived in Gt Harwood.

Retlaw.
I've come across some Rishton & Harwood Shearon's and they're not my wife's. I've just been on the CWGC site and have found a William Shearon from the East Lancs on the Pozieres Memorial. Some of the family lived in Blackburn so not in the Accy area. The problem is there are a lot of 'em and some of them spent time in a childrens home which doesn't help in matching the family members up. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help.
Steve
Old 30-09-2011, 21:03   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
I've come across some Rishton & Harwood Shearon's and they're not my wife's. I've just been on the CWGC site and have found a William Shearon from the East Lancs on the Pozieres Memorial. Some of the family lived in Blackburn so not in the Accy area. The problem is there are a lot of 'em and some of them spent time in a childrens home which doesn't help in matching the family members up. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the help.
Steve
There are 3 Shearon's in the East Lancs records.
John, Robert W., & Willam. there are 17 sets of Service Records on Ancestry for Shearon's, 2 of them from Rishton.
Retlaw.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:21   #29
God Member

Yesterday, while I was snooping around the sites dealing with men from the Accrington area who served in the war, I came accross a list of those who were POWs. Reading through the list, esp. the names of those who came from Clayton, I came upon the name of someone I actually knew: Pte. T. Noble of 44 Rishton Rd. I grew up living with my grandad at 46 Rishton Rd. I often spent time at Tom's home with my grandad, who was a good friend of Tom and his wife. Other than imposing on Retlaw's time and patience, I don't know how to find out more about Tom. However, I do remember that he lived at 42 Rishton Rd., not 44
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:26   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Yesterday, while I was snooping around the sites dealing with men from the Accrington area who served in the war, I came accross a list of those who were POWs. Reading through the list, esp. the names of those who came from Clayton, I came upon the name of someone I actually knew: Pte. T. Noble of 44 Rishton Rd. I grew up living with my grandad at 46 Rishton Rd. I often spent time at Tom's home with my grandad, who was a good friend of Tom and his wife. Other than imposing on Retlaw's time and patience, I don't know how to find out more about Tom. However, I do remember that he lived at 42 Rishton Rd., not 44
Thomas Noble.
Pte. 12476. 1st East Lancs
lived at 44 Rishton Rd, Clayton
Attended P-O-W. Welcome Home Ceremony on Monday Jan 1st 1919.
The East Lancs records show Thomas was discharged from the 7th Battn to Army Reserve Sect B 16-3-1919.
As the 7th was disbanded in Feb 1918, Thomas must have been captured before that date.
Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..