Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 10:25   #16

Re: Huncoat Hall

As the comedian Frank Carson used to say, "What a Cracker".
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2014, 16:41   #17

Hi taddy sorry it was my spelling wood nook school to blame the name is titley hope you knew him stuart
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 20:56   #18

Sorry Stuart but that name dos't ring any bells.
Old 02-06-2014, 16:53   #19
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Maybe he was called Lord or Earl.
Hi Bob:

I think young Nelson is talking about Mr & Mrs (Ken) Titley they used to live across the road from us on Within Grove. I worked at Huncoat Hall Farm for 12 years until Walter died November 5th 1963. I stayed on and sold the cattle and farm at auction, it was heartbreaking, and that's why I came to Canada in May of 1965.
Ken worked for us delivering milk between 61 - 63, then went working for Whitewell Dairies who bought our (3) milk rounds. Ken was a good man, both him and his wife used to run the St Augustines youth club over on Bolton Avenue for years. The best youth club ever.
Tony and Johnny Anderson delivered milk for us also, and yes we sang a lot in that dairy while washing those milk bottles, before they joined the Warriors, and went onto fulfill their dreams, both great guys.
Tony and his wife come over and stayed with us in Churchville for a week back in the mid 80's, and my wife and I were guests of (Jon) and went backstage when YES was performing at Massey Hall in Toronto in the 90's. Both Tony and Johnny looked great, and certainly made Accrington proud.
Bob, are you the young lad that lived around the corner from us next to Tommy McQueen the footballer? I remember a Mr Dodson and his family. We lived at 12, Within Grove, the Hocketts. you may know my brothers Terry and Raymond better as I was older.(and still am)

As per Huncoat Hall a lot as been said and written about it that seems a little off; Huncoat "Old Hall" Farm on Highgate Road was in disrepair and pulled down to build those new houses in the 50's. I use to take the cattle into the field behind it, and cut the hay there. The history books seem to get the two mixed up sometimes and who lived there.

Nice talking to you Bob, take care. JH. ( Alf Hockett )
John Alfred Hockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:10   #20

Hi John I lived at no 5 grass mere close next to ken they had a son terry I think and a girl called pat so I must have know you I left within grove in 1966 moved to the midlands
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 04:39   #21
Junior Member+

Hi Bob:
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you, I only go on the net now and then, thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I can remember all you ankle biters over the road on Grass Mere Close,we were one of the first families to move onto the new Within Grove Estate in 1952I think it was.
We lived in the semi-detached house across the road (left side) I had a red 1959 Ducati Elite 204cc with a light blue full fairing for about (3) years before I traded it in for a 1962 white Austin Mini, brother, I sure wish I had them now.
I hope you and your family are keeping well, down in them there Midlands Bob, and looking forward to your retirement; It sure was nice talking to you about the past, someone should write a book about the estate, there certainly was enough going on back then to make for a good read; Remember "Bantam Billy'' ??? ..........................Take care of yourself wee Bobby. JH (Alf Hockett).
John Alfred Hockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 13:07   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alfred Hockett View Post
Hi Bob:

I think young Nelson is talking about Mr & Mrs (Ken) Titley they used to live across the road from us on Within Grove. I worked at Huncoat Hall Farm for 12 years until Walter died November 5th 1963. I stayed on and sold the cattle and farm at auction, it was heartbreaking, and that's why I came to Canada in May of 1965.
Ken worked for us delivering milk between 61 - 63, then went working for Whitewell Dairies who bought our (3) milk rounds. Ken was a good man, both him and his wife used to run the St Augustines youth club over on Bolton Avenue for years. The best youth club ever.
Tony and Johnny Anderson delivered milk for us also, and yes we sang a lot in that dairy while washing those milk bottles, before they joined the Warriors, and went onto fulfill their dreams, both great guys.
Tony and his wife come over and stayed with us in Churchville for a week back in the mid 80's, and my wife and I were guests of (Jon) and went backstage when YES was performing at Massey Hall in Toronto in the 90's. Both Tony and Johnny looked great, and certainly made Accrington proud.
Bob, are you the young lad that lived around the corner from us next to Tommy McQueen the footballer? I remember a Mr Dodson and his family. We lived at 12, Within Grove, the Hocketts. you may know my brothers Terry and Raymond better as I was older.(and still am)

As per Huncoat Hall a lot as been said and written about it that seems a little off; Huncoat "Old Hall" Farm on Highgate Road was in disrepair and pulled down to build those new houses in the 50's. I use to take the cattle into the field behind it, and cut the hay there. The history books seem to get the two mixed up sometimes and who lived there.

Nice talking to you Bob, take care. JH. ( Alf Hockett )
Hello Alf, I met up with two of your old buddies over a pint or two last night, I have sent you a P.M. Your's Taddy
Brian prickett likes this.
Old 04-02-2016, 19:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Hello Alf, I met up with two of your old buddies over a pint or two last night, I have sent you a P.M. Your's Taddy
Hello Brian, hope to see you and your two mates again soon, all the best, Your's Taddy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..