Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 08:21   #16

Re: Shopfitters employees?

Is Jimmy Lang still about Jaysay? A towering Geordie of a bloke and a good mate of my late father if it's the same man.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Is Jimmy Lang still about Jaysay? A towering Geordie of a bloke and a good mate of my late father if it's the same man.
As far as I know E&C, Jim was a good friend of mine too, even after Shopfitters I used to have a drink with him in Ossy Con and we used to have the occasional game of golf at one time, I haven't seen him for a while because I don't get out these days, Who was your father I may have known him too?
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37   #18

Quite possibly J. His name was Cyril, did a bit of insurance borking and frequented Ossy Con, the Straits etc etc.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 14:48   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Quite possibly J. His name was Cyril, did a bit of insurance borking and frequented Ossy Con, the Straits etc etc.
PM sent
Old 22-04-2013, 17:20   #20

My Dad worked at shopfitters for the majority of his working life "Brian Birtwell"
ww2linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 17:27   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2linz View Post
My Dad worked at shopfitters for the majority of his working life "Brian Birtwell"
Brain was my mate for a time on the road, in the early seventies, was a good bloke and fun to work with
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 08:22   #22

Quite a few familiar names here, although not had contact with many in the years since I left.
I was there between 66 & 77.
Some other names people may remember...
Dave Griffiths, outfitter, my brother in law.
Walter Taylor, store man, my father in law.
Charlie ?, also stores.
'Sticky' Sid, assembly stores.
Assembly guys, John Targett, Ronnie Crosland, & charge hand, Dougie ?
Progress chaser, Donald ?, met him in BRI, a couple of months ago.
Harry ? On glass.
Setting/marking out, my main department.... Maurice from Billington, Arthur Monk, semi-pro drummer...Dereck from Ossy, off Thwaites Rd if I remember correctly..... also, Brian, Kevin, Peter Whiteside, Ray Smith, & charge hand Alan Smith.

Many more names floating around my head, thanks, Tex, (don't think I know you) for making me think of old workmates, many of whom impacted upon my life more than I probably gave them credit for.

'Ged'
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 08:50   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener View Post
Quite a few familiar names here, although not had contact with many in the years since I left.
I was there between 66 & 77.
Some other names people may remember...
Dave Griffiths, outfitter, my brother in law.
Walter Taylor, store man, my father in law.
Charlie ?, also stores.
'Sticky' Sid, assembly stores.
Assembly guys, John Targett, Ronnie Crosland, & charge hand, Dougie ?
Progress chaser, Donald ?, met him in BRI, a couple of months ago.
Harry ? On glass.
Setting/marking out, my main department.... Maurice from Billington, Arthur Monk, semi-pro drummer...Dereck from Ossy, off Thwaites Rd if I remember correctly..... also, Brian, Kevin, Peter Whiteside, Ray Smith, & charge hand Alan Smith.

Many more names floating around my head, thanks, Tex, (don't think I know you) for making me think of old workmates, many of whom impacted upon my life more than I probably gave them credit for.

'Ged'
Well that post tells me who you are KiTchener not so much the post but the signature Ged, all those names you've mentioned I remember too, sadly some are no longer with use, in fact a lot are no longer with us, I still see George one of the plumbers, on a regular basis, his mother in law lives very near me and he still visits her often even though he's married again after his first wife sadly died quite a while ago. Think the last time I saw you Ged was when I was with my wife and she was an agent for a diet company and she got her stocks from your wife, that must be 25 years ago.
Old 24-04-2013, 08:58   #24

Quite right, John, I remember my wife used to supply Sandra, who had her own bunch of customers at Rists.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:51   #25

My dad, Kevin Hibbert worked at Shopfitters for many years and did work at Mr & Mrs Waterhouse's including fitting the biggest 'dog' flap for their mongrel dog - may have had money but genuinely lovely people - I went with him as a small child and they made me feel vey welcome - years later my husband worked there for a time too, as did many friend's dad's who worked on the vans 'out fitting'. Happy memories
Tammistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 18:54   #26

My dad was Kevin, in setting out. Sadly passed away many years ago and the reason for tracing my family connections is that my mum Joyce has passed away only a few days ago.
Tammistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:27   #27

My mum--Margaret Brennand --worked in the typing pool--I think about mid 50s
lol1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41   #28
Senior Member+

Two good mates of mine were both drivers at Shopfitters.

Geoff Hartley and Alan Luke, both recently passed away.
Old 02-08-2013, 17:43   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammistar View Post
My dad was Kevin, in setting out. Sadly passed away many years ago and the reason for tracing my family connections is that my mum Joyce has passed away only a few days ago.
I knew your father very well back in those days, I worked on the shop floor before going on the vans, and came into contact with him most days, especially if I was working on one of his jobs.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
That name rings a bell Gayle, what department did he work in?
He was a joiner.

Sorry, just seen this.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..