Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013, 17:35   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: Shopfitters employees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
He was a joiner.

Sorry, just seen this.
There were a lot of us about Gayle just wondering if he worked on the vans or maintenance, as I said the name does ring a bell but I'm having trouble putting a face to it
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-08-2013, 07:35   #32

My Dad Jimmy Whatmore worked in the paint shop for many years up to his retirement
whatmore55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 13:41   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmore55 View Post
My Dad Jimmy Whatmore worked in the paint shop for many years up to his retirement
I used to see Jim every day when I worked there, he used to live at the top of our street Monarch Street just down the straits
Old 15-08-2013, 18:32   #34

My mate Eddie Halsall worked there for a couple of years in the early 80's.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 21:06   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There were a lot of us about Gayle just wondering if he worked on the vans or maintenance, as I said the name does ring a bell but I'm having trouble putting a face to it
He worked on the bar fitters side. Only for about five years in the late seventies/early eighties.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 17:31   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
He worked on the bar fitters side. Only for about five years in the late seventies/early eighties.
That was after my time Gayle, but I finished up on the Bar fitting side before I left
Old 27-11-2013, 14:48   #37

I worked there as an apprentice wood machinist from 1978 under Pete Rourke with Tony Dillon who went to live in Australia, also Dave Ford and little Billy who were great guys. Denis Broderick worked there in sales and Raymond Holt had just took over as Manager on the shop floor..... p.s. Roy Crompton and Rowley if your still about, your a pair of very lucky men taking advantage of a young apprentice lol.
andynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 17:10   #38
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynlisa View Post
I worked there as an apprentice wood machinist from 1978 under Pete Rourke with Tony Dillon who went to live in Australia, also Dave Ford and little Billy who were great guys. Denis Broderick worked there in sales and Raymond Holt had just took over as Manager on the shop floor..... p.s. Roy Crompton and Rowley if your still about, your a pair of very lucky men taking advantage of a young apprentice lol.
Denis Brod is sadly no longer with us neither is Rowley (Roland Holms), not sure but I think David Ford lives in sheltered accommodation in Merlin Court, ain't heard anything about Holty since just after shopfitters closed I bumped into him in Burnley, he had just started working for his self
Old 27-11-2013, 18:56   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Would that be the same Dave Ford,i worked wi at Franklands? used to live on Spring St? if so am amazed n glad hes still batting, great geezer.
Old 28-11-2013, 17:25   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Would that be the same Dave Ford,i worked wi at Franklands? used to live on Spring St? if so am amazed n glad hes still batting, great geezer.
Not sure Cashy seems very likely, I'll make some enquiries and get back to you
Old 29-11-2013, 03:15   #41

Quote:
Denis Brod is sadly no longer with us neither is Rowley (Roland Holms), not sure but I think David Ford lives in sheltered accommodation in Merlin Court, ain't heard anything about Holty since just after shopfitters closed I bumped into him in Burnley, he had just started working for his self
My hubby was offered a job when they were in Accrington, before they moved to bigger premises up Ossy. They were known then as Waterhouses. Jaysay, did you know Ernie Crook, Tommy Baron and David Smith. We think Ernie and Tommy had office jobs, but David worked on the shop floor. They were all members at the Dyers. My Husband also knew Dennis Broderick.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 15:34   #42

Dennis was a great lad, I remember his mum having an old sweet shop that we all used to go to on Catlow Hall Street and Dennis loved his snooker and took Alex Higgins under his wing when he came over from Ireland as a youngman.
Old 29-11-2013, 17:33   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
My hubby was offered a job when they were in Accrington, before they moved to bigger premises up Ossy. They were known then as Waterhouses. Jaysay, did you know Ernie Crook, Tommy Baron and David Smith. We think Ernie and Tommy had office jobs, but David worked on the shop floor. They were all members at the Dyers. My Husband also knew Dennis Broderick.
Tommy Baron actually left Shopfitters and took over as Manager at Valley refrigeration in Rawtenstall, (who moved to Forest Mill in Bacup)I worked for Tom at Valley. Knew Ernie Crook and David Smith to but not that well, twas a quite big factory on the whole. Waterhouse died before I started, Mrs Waterhouse was always knocking about, but the big white chief CEO in those was David Dunn a big Rovers fan, he always came into the works on a Monday to have a natter about the weekends game with myself and another guy called Bill( can't remember his last name) his daughter was married to the then Rovers midfielder Amonn Rogers,
Old 29-11-2013, 17:39   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynlisa View Post
Dennis was a great lad, I remember his mum having an old sweet shop that we all used to go to on Catlow Hall Street and Dennis loved his snooker and took Alex Higgins under his wing when he came over from Ireland as a youngman.
The last time I saw Alex he was in Ossy Con one Saturday lunch time with Dennis, we played all afternoon, great experience being on the same table as Higgins, you certainly had to be quick fielding out for him When he came over at first he had a flat on Catlow Hall Street over what is the chippy today
andynlisa likes this.
Old 12-02-2014, 20:44   #45

Quote:
The last time I saw Alex he was in Ossy Con one Saturday lunch time with Dennis, we played all afternoon, great experience being on the same table as Higgins, you certainly had to be quick fielding out for him When he came over at first he had a flat on Catlow Hall Street over what is the chippy today
Thats the very same flat I lived in as a young lad ( Flat No. 1a) when Denis brought him round. It was a D.I.Y shop back then belonging to a guy called Wilf Parr and the shop always smelled great as he sold parrafin for lamps etc. back in the late 60's. Denis's mum had a sweet shop further down on the next block.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..