Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2014, 19:13   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Woodnook Secondary

Great to see all those familiar names,lets have a school reunion.
baz270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2014, 20:29   #17

I don't know about her mum and dad having a chippy but I can remember the dad Tommy, son Russel and daughters Janet and Rosalyn living on Townley Avenue for many years, Tommy was a wagon driver, (for Tarmac I think).

As for Rosalyn, I was one of the first people on the scene when she was shot, the image has stayed in my mind to this day.

Russel served as a drummer in the army and married a Maltese lass, after his army service they settled in Malta, still live there I believe.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 21:19   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yeh taddy twas the chippy 3/4 way down the block below the Boars Head pub, which became a chinese chippy eventually, I was living at num 14 Burnley Rd at the time n knew em cos i used to be sent fer fish n chips on paydays usually. not surprised if its stayed wi yeh all these yrs,musta been hell of a shock. I also knew the lads involved at least 2 of em are gone now.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:30   #19

Thanks for info cash an that's why love this site somebody always knows something which we forgot about cheers
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 15:08   #20

Hello cashy, received your pm but cannot figure out how to send a pm in reply but as to the question you asked, no we are not related
Old 08-04-2014, 15:18   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Hello cashy, received your pm but cannot figure out how to send a pm in reply but as to the question you asked, no we are not related
Hey yeh managed it ok taddy, i got 2 the same off yeh last night. n i was worse than numb when i started on a computer, now i'm just numb.
Old 08-04-2014, 16:23   #22
Senior Member+

The chippy that Cashy refers to was called Joe's when I was a lad in the early 50s. Further up above Washington St was Eglin's, which is still a chippy. A girl in my class at St John's called Ann Byrom came to that chippy after Eglin's. I haven't seen her1952. Maybe she is avoiding me.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 18:25   #23

Hi, I found a google search item under the name of Jason Swindlehurst, he was the son of Russell and nephew of Janet who I mentioned on an earlier post.

He and a mate of his whom I think was called Martin Cresswell were kidnapped and executed in Iraq, the post also shows his dad Russel in Malta.

The poor chap has not only lost his son but also his younger sister in tragic circumstances, I can but offer my deepest condolences.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:23   #24
Junior Member+

Smile Re: Woodnook Secondary

Hi Barry,

Good to hear from you. Long-long-time-ago.

I recall we were in the the same class at Woodnook (or at least the same year). You may remember me.... Ken Nash.

I remember most of the other people in our class as listed by others in an earlier replies: Peter Ollet, Barry Oliver, Gillian Coulson, Trevor Wearing Martin Whittaker, Briget Swales and Ray Biscombe. Few other names: Phil Rose, John Beswick, Linda Peters, Ann Jackson. John Jackson, Madelina Quipp, Sheila Parkinson Ronald Bury.

This is my first time on this website and not sure who will see this. Hope that you are well and hope to get a response.

Ken
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:48   #25
I am Banned

Madeline Quipp lived up Richmond Road, her Mum ran the Saturday night dances at Spring Hill back in the 60's . Madeline was girlfriend of Clive Smith back then .
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:35   #26
Beacon of light

Oh I remember Clive Smith...such a smoothie!
The girls fell over themsleves to be in his company.
DtheP47 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:36   #27
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn View Post
Hi Barry,

Good to hear from you. Long-long-time-ago.

I recall we were in the the same class at Woodnook (or at least the same year). You may remember me.... Ken Nash.

I remember most of the other people in our class as listed by others in an earlier replies: Peter Ollet, Barry Oliver, Gillian Coulson, Trevor Wearing Martin Whittaker, Briget Swales and Ray Biscombe. Few other names: Phil Rose, John Beswick, Linda Peters, Ann Jackson. John Jackson, Madelina Quipp, Sheila Parkinson Ronald Bury.

This is my first time on this website and not sure who will see this. Hope that you are well and hope to get a response.

Ken
I remember many of those names. I am sure that many of them were in the same year as me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 18:52   #28

Although a couple of years younger than me, I too remember a lot of those names, seven of them were from Huncoat. Ronnie Bury and I used to go ratting at Childers Green Farm 45/50 years ago.
He was a recent landlord of the Black Bull Inn, Huncoat until maybe 18 months ago, Kept the best pint of Thwaites bitter in the world.
Old 01-05-2014, 21:39   #29
Junior Member+

Good memories of those Spring Hill dances.

I recall Clive Smith being Head Boy at Woodnook
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 19:26   #30

Maybe my memory is fading but I was at Woodnook between 1958 and 1963 and cannot remember there ever being a head boy or head girl.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..