Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2014, 19:31   #46

Re: Woodnook Secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Mr Allen was headmaster when I was there....his nickname was 'holy Joe'.I remember Mrs Thompson.....she taught RE. Mrs Ashcroft taught music, Mr Gale was my form teacher in the second year.Mrs Rawnsley taught geography. Mrs Whittaker was PE (she was married to Jim Bowen).
Miss France taught Art. Mrs Shaw taught needlework.....and that is my memory exhausted.
Your memory serves you very well Margaret, the only ones I remember on that list Are Mr Allen and Mr Gale, although others were Milton Suthers, (maths), and Norman Booth,(woodwork), thinking back they must both have been good teachers, I can still bring to mind what they managed to instill into the brain of a miners son who was not really interested. Maybe if I had taken a little more notice I could have had an Ology.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-05-2014, 00:09   #47
Junior Member+

Steve
As requested (hope this works).
Photo of Wooknook football team 1962-1963. This would have been the second year team. Not the full school team. As mentioned in my earlier note, I can remember (with varying accuracy) the names of everyone except the two lads on the second row far left. wonder if you or other recognize anyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (464.4 KB, 76 views)
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:05   #48

I went wood nook 1963 from peel park some names that come to mind Charlie Duffy phil duxbury Carl philpson Roland drink water terry titles. Jog any bodies minds
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:25   #49
Beacon of light

Phil Duxbury is my little brother.
I had left by then. I left in the summer of '62.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 13:53   #50

Hi Kenn, thanks for posting the football team photo.No idea where I was that day. I'm afraid the old grey matter has let me down in naming the other two in the photo. I remember we played our home games on King George's playing fields at the top of Royds st.Mr Gale looked an imposing figure, but I think his bark was worse than his bite. Seem to remember he had a good sense of humour.....
steve50brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 14:44   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Phil Duxbury is my little brother.
I had left by then. I left in the summer of '62.
I also left in 1962 but at Easter, we must have been in the same year,
1st year, 1A, 2nd year 2A, third year 3B, fourth year 4B.
Old 07-05-2014, 14:49   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn View Post
Steve
As requested (hope this works).
Photo of Wooknook football team 1962-1963. This would have been the second year team. Not the full school team. As mentioned in my earlier note, I can remember (with varying accuracy) the names of everyone except the two lads on the second row far left. wonder if you or other recognize anyone.
Could you please put names to the faces you know, I am really interested as I played in the team that preceded this one, thanks
Old 07-05-2014, 15:17   #53
Beacon of light

I was in the B stream throughout. So yes, we must have been in the same class for the last two years.
Old 07-05-2014, 16:22   #54

Taddy, if you scroll back to post 39 (just after your post re observer) you will see the names Kenn remembers
steve50brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 20:36   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve50brown View Post
Taddy, if you scroll back to post 39 (just after your post re observer) you will see the names Kenn remembers
Found it, thanks for that Steve, Appreciated.
Old 15-05-2014, 21:01   #56

Hi all, If anyone is interested there is a photograph of the Woodnook football team in the 1961/62 season in the Accy Observer today. I am the shorthouse goalkeeper on the back row, Yours taddy.
Old 15-05-2014, 21:18   #57
Beacon of light

I spotted it today......and I can't say I recognise you. In fact the only boy I recognised was Patrick Varley.
I must not have had much interest in boys when I was at school(no - I know I didn't have any est in them at all...we had enough of them at home)
Old 16-05-2014, 11:53   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thats a great pic of me owd mucker, the late Pat Varley, before bitter set in.
Old 27-06-2014, 18:09   #59

Woodnook Secondary

Our Colin was next to Pat Varley in the photo Observer put the photo in the week our Col passed away,I also went to Woodnook and remember many of the names you mentioned earlier I was in b stream all the way through school I was friends with Jilly Coulson,Sheila Parkinson,Sandra Garth they are just a few friends.The lads I remember are David Sothern,Geoff Redmayne,John Jackson and Alan Duffy I also know Phil Rose I used to go to his mum and dad's shop which was at the bottom of Spencer St.I remember teachers Mrs Owen who I liked but I was frightened of Mr Hill who taught maths I think that's why to this day I do not like maths because of him.
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 14:14   #60
Junior Member+

just found this site, interesting about woodnook and huncoat as i was born and bred in within grove and went to woodnook for 1 year before hollins opened, my hubby duncan 3 years older then me spent more time at woodnook he will know the names in the football picci, although i know charlie and allan duffy and millsy but some of the other names i recognise from people duncan knows. we live in southern ireland now
clogherlass is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..