Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2013, 11:41   #1
Junior Member+

Woodnook school Class 1953-57

Looking for some old family photo's came across this one comments welcomeschool1.jpg hope i got the attachment right
Suddersb42jeff likes this.
fireman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-08-2013, 12:29   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Woodnook school Class 1953-57

Any names? Top left with glasses - John Thorne? Middle row of girls - 4th from left Irene Howard from Huncoat?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 15:04   #3

My brother is far right back row Gordon Coo.
hassy rvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 19:18   #4
Junior Member+

Hi Bob as far as I can recall Back row John Thorne-Alan Hatch-myself Doug Kellett-Gordon Coo.
M-iddle Row Jack Spibey-Emile Cummins-David Eastwood-Frank Riley-Derek Ingham -Ron ?-Barry?-
Back Row Girls. Hazel Shannon-Mavis Hartley-Gillian Norton-Irene?-?-Jean Taylor-?-Jean Staff.
Front Row, Barbra Whitteker-Joan?-Estelle Pilkinton.
Old 24-08-2013, 20:11   #5

was the teacher mr.davies
Old 26-08-2013, 17:50   #6

Derek Ingham's parents used to keep a butcher's shop at the corner of Willows Lane and Fraser Street. Derek went to Spring Hill School before going to Woodnook.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 11:03   #7
Junior Member+

Yes the teacher was Mr Davies pity are not a few like him about today,a great teacher,did you go to the school to?
Old 27-08-2013, 11:05   #8
Junior Member+

Yes I know me and his cousin Barry are life long friends,how may I ask is Derek?
Old 27-08-2013, 18:25   #9

I left woodnook in 52 to work at H.B.
Old 28-08-2013, 18:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman32 View Post
Yes I know me and his cousin Barry are life long friends,how may I ask is Derek?
Hi fireman32, I guess that you're asking me how Derek is. Sorry but I've no idea - haven't seen him since probably 1960 when I moved to the other side of Accy, and 12 months later joined the army and went off to Catterick and from there to Germany. The rest as they say, is history. Some of us lads were quite keen cyclists (in the mid 1950s) and Derek would come with us occasionally.

Anyway, to comment further on your excellent photo, Mavis Hartley and I were in the same class at Spring Hill School, and I remember Gillian Norton and Kathy Staff - either from Spring Hill or the Willows Lane area of town.
Old 28-08-2013, 19:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
Hi fireman32, I guess that you're asking me how Derek is. Sorry but I've no idea - haven't seen him since probably 1960 when I moved to the other side of Accy, and 12 months later joined the army and went off to Catterick and from there to Germany. The rest as they say, is history. Some of us lads were quite keen cyclists (in the mid 1950s) and Derek would come with us occasionally.

Anyway, to comment further on your excellent photo, Mavis Hartley and I were in the same class at Spring Hill School, and I remember Gillian Norton and Kathy Staff - either from Spring Hill or the Willows Lane area of town.
did you join army or were you conscripted likea lot of us. Iwent to catterick also andGermany
Old 29-08-2013, 18:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by acertun View Post
did you join army or were you conscripted likea lot of us. Iwent to catterick also andGermany
I was just too young to be called up, but there were a number of NS lads still serving when I joined my regiment. Six years later and the regiment was posted to Catterick would you believe. A great six years, though, and I wouldn't have missed them for the world.
Old 29-08-2013, 18:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
I was just too young to be called up, but there were a number of NS lads still serving when I joined my regiment. Six years later and the regiment was posted to Catterick would you believe. A great six years, though, and I wouldn't have missed them for the world.
Iwas posted toa small place called Langeleben as a spec op right on the east german border. Interesting job to say the least.
Old 01-09-2013, 19:53   #14

I recognize John Thorne although I didn't know him as such. John used to live on Higher Antley Street, and I'm sure that he worked at Bullough's, probably shortly after leaving school.
Old 11-09-2013, 18:12   #15

Frank Riley went down the pit for a short while before serving in the Merchant Navy for a few years. He then joined the police force where he stayed for the rest of his working life. He passed away in late December 2009, a few weeks short of his 68th birthday.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..