Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2016, 19:33   #1
Full Member+

Ward / Westwell

We keep extending our family tree and are now looking into the descendants of
George William Ward b.1878 d.1952
and
Rachel Westwell b.1879 d.1958
They married in 1902 at Accrington registry office in 1902.

We can share their ascendants with anyone who is interested but we would be interested to know if this couple feature on anyone else's tree. There are possible connections to Holcombe but we cannot verify the information we have at present.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-09-2016, 23:16   #2

Re: Ward / Westwell

Hi M Ex Pat. As you know there are a few variations of this name including Westall, Westell, Westwell and even Westrell. I will look through a heap of information I have later today which was kindly send to me by Roy Westall and if I come across anything to do with your search I'll let you know.

In the meantime, you mention that this couple were married at a Registry Office. Although this is how it is recorded on Lancashire BMD (and I'm assuming that is where you found the information) and quite possibly this is what happened, it could alternatively mean that they were actually married in a Roman Catholic Church and that the registrar attended the ceremony, etc., but that this was not necessarily carried out in the actual office. That might help you find more information when you are digging deeper.

I've come across this when researching my own family but don't know when marriages in the Catholic Church were recognised as such.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 23:37   #3

As a point of interest, regarding church marriages, I've now found out that up until 1898 only ordained clergy of the Church of England were able to perform and register marriages. Up to that date a Registrar of Marriages had to be present at all other church marriage ceremonies for them to be legal.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 06:08   #4
Full Member+

Thanks dotti
We have found the 'or registrar attended' to also apply to some C of E and Methodist marriages.
The name is definitely Westwell but we haven't dug into this branch, properly yet. I thought I would just check to see if anyone had researched this family before I reinvented the wheel.
Rachel Westwell had 5 siblings - William.1881, Bertha.1883, Edward.1886, George.1888 and Clara.1890.
The siblings have been confirmed as correct by a family member.
Rachel and William were registered in Holcombe and the others were registered in Accrington.
Bertha was married to Chief Fireman John Crabtree

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Old 24-09-2016, 10:04   #5

I am related to Albert Westwell who I believe has siblings with same names. My grandfather was William westwell born in 1906. Did Edward live in rising bridge? If so there is definitely a connection
StoneyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 13:45   #6
Senior Member+

I think you will find Rachel had 7 siblings, the ones you have plus Albert born 1876 and Mary A. born 1877 so see StoneyGals post.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 14:01   #7
Senior Member+

You both have the same gt grand parents. William Westwell born 1849 in Blackburn and Alice born 1853 in Clitheroe.
Old 24-09-2016, 14:06   #8
Senior Member+

Sorry, that should be gt. gt. grand parents.
Old 24-09-2016, 22:04   #9

Albert was my great grandfather
StoneyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 07:48   #10
Full Member+

Thanks for replying.
Not sure about a Rising Bridge connection with this side of the family.
I found an Albert Westwell.1876 but dismissed him as he was born in Prestwich.
We saw from 1911 census that there were more siblings than we had but couldn't verify them so left them out, to be added later. I have added the latest information to our family tree.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..