Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dotti34

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2018, 10:48   #1
Senior Member+

Abraham Shuttleworth

Shock Horror !!!! I've discovered that my maternal grandma's grandfather, Abraham Shuttleworth, spent the last 30yrs of his life (1861-91) as a patient in Lancaster Asylum. I've seen some records held in the Lancashire Archives but want to learn more about him and the family. I don't as yet know where the family lived, but suspect it would be in Woodnook. Anyone got Shuttleworths in their family tree?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2018, 05:32   #2

Re: Abraham Shuttleworth

Oh, Bob, that poor man. I shudder to think about the treatment he would have received (or lack of it, though this may have been the best alternative – not to have any as the treatment was nothing short of barbaric). 30 years is a long time to be in such an institution but it could have been that he might have had some sort of breakdown, or an illness they didn’t understand at that time, and there wasn’t anywhere for him to go except for the asylum and then he was just left there and forgotten. Knowledge and understanding of any sort of mental illness was very limited in those days, and families didn't talk about it. So sad.

Have you found out exactly what the reason was for him being a patient there? Hope you get some information about the Shuttleworth family.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 08:26   #3
Senior Member+

No further information received as yet. The admission register for 1861 is not available, Another register describes him as a maniac, but it is clear that the term did not mean quite what it now does. It was one of the milder forms of illness. I am looking into whether he was admitted from home or if he had spent time in the Haslingden workhouse before being sent to Lancaster.
Old 27-10-2018, 08:43   #4

Did your Abraham Shuttleworth marry Mary Melling in 1850? No relation to my lot but I have done a bit of searching (something I enjoy doing) and found the births of their children, if this is the right family. You probably have this information anyway.
Old 29-10-2018, 07:54   #5

If this is your ancestor, Bob, I do have a copy of the 1861 Census relating to him and his family and if it is the same man it must have been taken just before he was admitted to the asylum. I will email you anyway.
cashman and hilleluk like this.
Old 29-10-2018, 10:41   #6
Senior Member+

Thanks dotti - yes this is the chap. Life must have been hell for a mother with four children and no husband's wage coming in . I want to find time to search for Abe in the Lancashire newspapers. , also to see if he had been in the Haslingden workhouse..
Old 16-12-2018, 11:28   #7
Senior Member+

Could he be mentioned on here Bob? 1881 Census: Residents of Haslingden Union Workhouse
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 16:18   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Could he be mentioned on here Bob? 1881 Census: Residents of Haslingden Union Workhouse
I'll have a look at this, but it is unlikely, seeing as he had been in Lancaster for 20yrs by 1881. My grandma had a fear of the workhouse. I think her brother had been a resident for some time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..