Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dotti34
  • 2 Post By dotti34

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-02-2020, 09:09   #1

Looking for Andreas Swaijick

Does anyone know anything about the following person:
Name: Andreas Swaijick, sometimes Swajik, Svajick
Workplace: English Electric (at least from 1960 - 1965)
Further profession: Professional Wrestler 1960 – late 1970’s as a lightweight
Born in Hungary. Trained at Bob Bannister’s gym on Bridge St, behind the commercial hotel.
I trained a lot with Andreas in the early sixties and was also on several bills alongside of him and his then opponent Ian St. John, who passed away some years ago.
As I will be in the area in early May of this year, I thought it my be great to get together again after so many years.

Cheers

Phil Kenyon
Late Belfield Rd.
Accrington
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-02-2020, 20:56   #2
Full Member+

Re: Looking for Andreas Swaijick

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Does anyone know anything about the following person:
Name: Andreas Swaijick, sometimes Swajik, Svajick
Workplace: English Electric (at least from 1960 - 1965)
Further profession: Professional Wrestler 1960 – late 1970’s as a lightweight
Born in Hungary. Trained at Bob Bannister’s gym on Bridge St, behind the commercial hotel.
I trained a lot with Andreas in the early sixties and was also on several bills alongside of him and his then opponent Ian St. John, who passed away some years ago.
As I will be in the area in early May of this year, I thought it my be great to get together again after so many years.

Cheers

Phil Kenyon
Late Belfield Rd.
Accrington
Andy died a while back. SORRY
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 08:45   #3

Hi ferret man,
So sorry to hear the bad news. Any idea when he passed away?

Thanks and kind regards

Phil
Old 12-08-2020, 14:08   #4

Hi ferret man,

Just decided to give it another try, as to when & where did Andreas pass away.
The reason for asking is that we have a forum going on a wrestling web site and this came up also there. Fellow wrestlers are now asking me to share any details, therefore would be very grateful for any response.
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Old 29-10-2020, 09:39   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Bob Bannisters Gym used to be end of Argyle St when i used to go, wasnt aware he had ever moved.
Old 29-10-2020, 16:43   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Bob Bannisters Gym used to be end of Argyle St when i used to go, wasnt aware he had ever moved.
What was your stage-name, Cashy ? did you appear at the Tower Circus , Belle Vue, or King George's Hall?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 21:56   #7
Full Member+

Try looking on facebook or twitter for his son Steven or his daughter Susan, think he had another child but not sure.
Old 30-10-2020, 13:54   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
What was your stage-name, Cashy ? did you appear at the Tower Circus , Belle Vue, or King George's Hall?
Didnt appear anywhere Bob, Bitter got in the way of my boxing Career, when Bob first opened it was a Boxing club, wrestling came after i had left. maybe that was reason he moved, for a bigger place?though i went to King Georges to watch some of his lads box,
Old 30-10-2020, 23:06   #9

Cashy, I went to King George's Hall to dance, though I think that is also where I once went to a wrestling match....or are these one and the same thing...oops!
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 15:58   #10
Full Member+

Don't think Landhusweg will find Andy info from 3 of the last 4 post's.
Old 01-11-2020, 21:03   #11

I don't think so either, but that's all part of a forum such as this one, ferret man, we can get side-tracked but don't worry - the thread will get back to its original subject. Just shows how 'versatile' Accyweb members can be.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:00   #12

Hi there everyone,
Thank you all for the latest replies to my enquiry about Andreas Swaijick. Instead of answering all the questions that you have written, I would like to give you here some information:
- The years concerning Bob Bannisters Gym were between 1959 and 1965
- The gym then was his first and situated on Bridge street behind the Commercial hotel. The entrance was between a Working men’s club (think the Central, but not sure) and Halkirk’s sewing machines shop.
- At first, I started wrestling with my own name of Phil Kenyon, but then changed to Mike Agusta (sometimes Mike Augusta).
- I wrestled all over the North of England in Particular at the Floral Hall in Morecambe, but never at King Georges Hall Blackburn, as this was “Joint Promotions” territory, who had only wrestlers who were on contract to them.
- I left the UK in 1967 and have been here in Switzerland ever since, so what ever happened after this I’m not sure.
- The difficulties entailed by looking up details of Andreas, are the many different spellings he used when he was wrestling, I think about 10, hence my query on the Accrington Web.
Ferret man, you mentioned Son Steven and Daughter Susan, I must admit that for a few reasons I’m not with this “Facebook” thing and probably never will be. Do you by chance have any information on the two of them such as: E-Mail / telephone /, or even just a simple address?

Thank you all again for the responses received, which has helped somewhat.

Cheers

Phil
Old 08-08-2021, 09:26   #13

Hi Everybody,
Just been in contact with someone who sadly tells me that Andreas passed away in 1995 and is buried in the cemetery up Burnley Road.
The next time in the UK I'll visit his grave when visiting my parents grave.

Thank you for the help given and

Cheers

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..