Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2006, 23:29   #256

Re: Moorhead High School

Well I left in 2000 and then returned to do some voluntary work as part of my degree in 2005. I would like to return again sometime soon if they'll have me. How different is it when you're on the other side (teacher's).
Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2006, 07:29   #257
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
'i' should be 'I' when at the start of a sentence
'i' should be 'I' whenever it is used on it's own
Old 12-10-2006, 11:45   #258
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
'i' should be 'I' whenever it is used on it's own

I know Look through my old posts you'll see I do most of the time
Old 12-10-2006, 11:47   #259
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Well at least you can spell 'the'
Old 12-10-2006, 17:41   #260

I am fascinated reading this thread. But it is so long I haven't managed to plough through it all yet.

I always wondered what happened there since I left. I remember visiting back home quite a few years back now and being surprised to find that it had gone "co-ed". And there were male teachers there even when it was still an all girls?

Wow! They were mostly a lot of old maids in my day. Some of them were very kind and sweet, but there were quite a few harridans, too.

I remember in particular the history teacher who looked like a horse and acted like a dragon - blowed if I can remember her name. Obviously a Freudian slip. The only exception was if you happened to be good at her subject, and that made you one of her favourites. Needless to say, I hated it. I never was good with numbers. And remembering dates was a lost cause. Nowadays they teach it much more sensibly - after all, it's more about the people who made the history than exactly when they made it.

Tricia
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 20:39   #261
Senior Member+

when did moorhead change from being an all girls school my nan and her sisters went when it was an al girls school
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 18:26   #262
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyalex
when did moorhead change from being an all girls school my nan and her sisters went when it was an al girls school
Accy Grammar(the now demolished Queens building) joined up with Accy High school(Cromwell building) for my last year at the grammar school,which was 1975.We were still taught in our respective buildings with no mixed classes as our hormones were running riot.Though i think the years below us may have crossed the field to each others buildings for classes.It became Moorhead High School in 75.I'm not sure but that may have been the time they abolished the eleven plus exam.:engsmil: :engsmil: :engsmil:
Old 25-10-2006, 22:52   #263

Question Re: Moorhead High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyco
i am at moorhead mow an it is crap
So am i... is ya a student?

alec
AccyAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:31   #264

Wow what a great thread - been away from Accy now for 18 years though I get back about 4 times a year (always seem to bump into Tony Robbo though!).

Remember one of the highlights being a visit to Belgium (Blanckenberge???) etc - top few days playing not very good football against much much better teams who we just resorted to kicking! Was looking at some piccies from the trip just the other day!

Left in 1984 btw!
hantsclaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 17:14   #265
I am Banned

I left in 1999 tinks favorite (Mr McHale) was still there lol.
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:44   #266

I Left in 84 . Now living in Koh Phangan (Thailand).
Best thing was the annual snow ball fight with St. Crissys, will never forget them.
lancashire lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 06:06   #267

I was there when Ralph Bailey was head(r.i.p.) and Bill Green and Tony Robinson ran our footy team which achieved great things. Who remembers Mr Teale who took rugby amongst one of his subjects (proper hard nut he was). French teacher Mrs Shaw who when pronouncing most words in French would drown anyone within 6 feet. Ma Rushton(biology), Mr Walmesley (eng lit) Mr Dennison (music) and there was an old guy who took maths with the biggest slide rule in the world which he wasn't too shy about giving anyone a whack with now and again, Jock something or other springs to mind. Happy Days......the summer of '76, what a year that was.
greenman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 06:12   #268

Didn't Miss Tomlinson and Ma Roberts have a bit of a thing
Old 27-03-2007, 06:20   #269

Yeah i remember old "winky" a bit hard of hearing and his sight wasn't up to much......did he get some stick when he took our classes.
Old 27-03-2007, 10:58   #270
God Member

Jim Bowen taught at Hyndburn Park and was a 'harsh taskmaster' (from one who was taught by him)
Only 'Willow' has mentioned a few teachers names I recognise.
I was at Moorhead from 1953 to 1958 in the same forms as Kathleen Jones. Her role model was history teacher Miss Scotney.

Some interesting facts about that time :-
There was just the Cromwell building
All girls and NO MALE TEACHERS ALLOWED!
The head was MISS Mabel Horne (a 6' tall streak of misery who had a degree in French.)
The only man allowed on the premises was the elderly janitor.
If workmen were needed for property repairs on site -a large portion of the school was cordoned of and declared out of bounds. Fear of contact with the male gender pervaded all school life.
An interesting anecdote about Mrs Jones - did you know that she was excused PE and Games because she had had her little toes surgically removed. I always envied that because I hated Hockey - on that field wearing just a blouse and navy blue knickers in all weathers wasnt fun.I used to wangle it so that I was goalie for the best side so I spent most of the time hiding behind the goalpost out of the wind.
The naming of forms was like something from the novel 'What Katy Did'
eg 1st year =III (third)
2nd year= lower IV
3rd year= IV (fourth)
4th year- lower V -etc
suffixed by the surname initial of the form teacher I started there in IIIP (Mrs Pape)
I cant say I enjoyed the strict regime that ruled - always walk (never run),and always keep to the left, in corridors. Always wear your navy beret with badge when journeying to and from school (despite heatwaves) - to name but a couple of the instances of how we were strictly controlled and regimented. Hated it- I left as soon as I could- missed out on higher education as a result.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..