Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2021, 09:42   #1
God Member

Electric Cars

Anyone thinking or have gone down that line or like me have no interest whatsoever in them. i,ll carry on as long as i can with my early 90,s diesel peugeots if inly to P off the lefty,s.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2021, 16:33   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Electric Cars

Nah mate, Polar Bear harrasing, tree hugger annoying, St Greta dissing (whats happened to the little pigtailed troll anyways? Been awfully quiet of late), diesel van driver me & long will it remain so!
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 04-08-2021, 19:44   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I was going to answer this thread but the battery ran out on my green keyboard.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:37   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Nah mate, Polar Bear harrasing, tree hugger annoying, St Greta dissing (whats happened to the little pigtailed troll anyways? Been awfully quiet of late), diesel van driver me & long will it remain so!
wish you could do a double like on here. when greta goes to china and is allowed to spout her stuff to there masses i,ll have another look at the situation if only to come out with my original take on it. as her in the kitchen says, she should find a hairdresser, the make up counter, clothes advice and live like a normal teenager does. get pregnant and a council flat.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:44   #5
Beacon of light

What I want to know is....
When we all convert to electric cars(it won’t matter to me as I will probably be worm food by then) we come home from where ever we have been in them and all plug them in......will all the lights go off....the ovens shut down and all the computers go on the blink because they are sucking up so much power from a national grid that is inadequately powered by the wind turbines up on’t moors and out in the sea?

And these electric cars....how do they go on if they are full of people....on a frosty day...or a rainy one when you need the heater or the windscreen wipers?
Do you tell your passengers they have to listen to music on their phones as there is not enough juice to run the car audio.
Will you just get to the end of your road and find the ‘low power’ light flashing at you?

And on a journey on the motorway...you run out of power and to charge this beast it takes four hours....are they going to be building entertainment complexes on service stations.

We are going to be back in the times when it took three days to get to London in a stage coach.....changing horses every coaching Inn.

Just asking.
I know there are adverts that say this car will do 267 miles on a charge.....but is that in optimum conditions and with a following wind.
Plus...how many car companies have lied about emissions...isn’t this along those lines?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:06   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Margaret you've missed the obvious, most of us around here live in terraced houses, now most of us can never even park outside our own houses so how do we re-charge these cars without miles of extension leads criss-crossing the streets causing trip hazards for all.
Even if you could park outside your own house an extension of some form would still have to be used unless they finally get Nikola Tesla Mains electricity transmitters working I don't think they'll have that anytime soon and if they did we wouldn't need battery cars we could ride around as with dodgem cars picking power up straight from the grid.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:51   #7
Beacon of light

Yes, of course you need special charging ports...and we would be unable to purchase a car without having a place to charge the dratted thing......then of course there is the thorny (non green) issue of the materials that they make batteries from.
Did you know that it takes half a million gallons of water to extract the stuff to make one KG of lithium that goes into these batteries...so anything that uses a lithium battery is anything but green.

all these children who were on Friday protests before the Pandemic...demonstrating in cities around the country...all of them had mobiles and many of those little green darlings were dropped of by parents in those less than green diesel vehicles.

We are being told that the way forward is electric.
It isn't.....because the current systems for generating the power are either unreliable(wind power) or just as damaging as gas because they rely on either fossil fuel or other far more dangerous alternatives(Chernobyl is a clue..so is Fukushima).

The move away from gas boilers for home heating is also a worry...the heat exchangers are costly to install...you need to have larger radiators to provide the same level of warmth and they need to be installed in a large space outside your property...again our homes do not fit this bill.
Old 05-08-2021, 19:29   #8

Had electric cars for around 5 years now, works for us and we both like how they drive and running costs are low for us. If you get chance to drive one there's nothing really not to like.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 19:50   #9
Beacon of light

Except perhaps the cost...and the fact that unless you have access to a garage or a drive you are goosed.
No good if you live in a mid Victorian terraced house with no designated parking.
But if it works for you then I guess that is OK...but not an option for our needs
Old 05-08-2021, 20:16   #10

I pay less a month for the electric car than I did for the diesel before it and I have no fuel or road tax costs.

Yes you really need off road parking but I've sold them to people without who use rapid chargers which take 30 minutes for at least 80% charge.

For me personally I run them because its cheaper than a petrol or diesel and saves me money
Old 05-08-2021, 21:24   #11
Beacon of light

So you SELL them to people!

Well, then of course you are going to promote them.

The initial outlay for one of these vehicles is a bit steep.....maybe the running costs are cheaper, but it would be no good for our needs and I would not consider one.
If it saves you money then of course you have to consider that aspect.
Maybe the prices will come down..and this may make them more acceptable.
Old 06-08-2021, 00:17   #12

Yes I do sell them to people but not as many as I do petrol/diesel cars to other people so that’s not why I promote them as you say.

It’s a personal opinion and one I can make on being around these cars and actually driving and owning them.

To own one outright can be expensive however if you need to finance a car which most people do the monthly comparisons are very similar to other cars and can actually be cheaper once you take the fuel and tax savings into account.

The actual make of car we own I don’t sell but I got one because the financial deal I got on it was fantastic and we have owned them previously.

I’m no preacher of these cars but I just thought I’d put a bit of balance to some views on here, like people say there not for everyone but come 2030 if not before these will be the only new cars you can buy.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:46   #13
Beacon of light

I think that by then, my driving days will be over....
To make these changes viable....there are going to be some vast infrastructure changes needed.
These are going to be far reaching and costly....and because of the current situation, maybe they will be deferred because they are unaffordable.
Who knows.....this green dream might turn out to be a nightmare.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:55   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
I pay less a month for the electric car than I did for the diesel before it and I have no fuel or road tax costs.

Yes you really need off road parking but I've sold them to people without who use rapid chargers which take 30 minutes for at least 80% charge.

For me personally I run them because its cheaper than a petrol or diesel and saves me money
i really doubt once electric vehicles become the main stream the owners will be on zero tax. plus the price of electric itself may or more likely be much higher than it presently is. possibly at the moment running on electric may be cheaper now than it will be in the future. the government needs to get their money from somewhere. it obviously will not happen but if everyone stopped smoking, only drove electric and ditched their current cars where is all this money to come from. i,m usually first in line looking for savings but i,ll never be sold over as i,d feel i,ve joined the lefties and greens by doing so. know its a cutting off my nose situation but i cannot help it. just hate the sods with a passion.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:02   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think that by then, my driving days will be over....
To make these changes viable....there are going to be some vast infrastructure changes needed.
These are going to be far reaching and costly....and because of the current situation, maybe they will be deferred because they are unaffordable.
Who knows.....this green dream might turn out to be a nightmare.
they are not bothered about the cost as it will be passed down to us. there will be many more who will have to decide on heat or food in the winter and most will not own any vehicle. suppose anyone who dies will not be a hero but a bit of collateral damage to save a polar bear. even a half wit knows whatever some little island in the northern hemisphere does will not change any situation if half a continent does theor own thing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..