Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > General Sport and Hobby Talk > Motoring + Motorsports
Donate! Join Today

Motoring + Motorsports Talk cars, recommend garages, help with problems.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2021, 10:02   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Electric Cars

We, in the UK contribute 0.92% of emissions globally.
The climate change conference that is taking place in Glasgow soon will contribute to the carbon emissions because delegates will travel....by air to this conference.....adding tons of greenhouse gases that they want us not to be producing.
How hypocritical is that?
Especially as the technology exists for conferencing to be done remotely with very little addition to the global emissions.
If we think that converting to electric vehicles will solve these climate change issues we are deluded.
Only when countries like India, China, the US and Russia sign up to these treaties will Co2 levels fall(and even that is in doubt).
The biggest issue in the climate change debate is overpopulation.
But don’t worry Bill Gates and his cohorts have a handle on this.
monkey hanger likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-08-2021, 10:33   #17
God Member

or a case just do as i do because i can afford it and sod off if you cannot as you are only jealous because you cannot. one thing for sure is that us oldies where those who are in the fuel poverty league will be heard less and less about as prices soar as it will not fit their agendas.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:57   #18
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post

The actual make of car we own I don’t sell but I got one because the financial deal I got on it was fantastic and we have owned them previously.

Hmmm, and there was me thinking an honest salesperson would only sell a product he would be prepared to use himself. How gullible I really am, next thing you know I might start believing in global warming and preaching about our need to be green (if it makes me a quick buck as well that can only be a plus for me).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 13:14   #19
Beacon of light

The elite will continue to fly....to travel to exotic places....to stay warm, eat meat....and anything else that takes their fancy.
It is just we plebs that they want to preach to.....eat plants, live in a cave, go to bed when it’s dark...and if you can’t walk where you need to be then you can’t go.
Not a rosy future is it?
Old 06-08-2021, 16:35   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Hmmm, and there was me thinking an honest salesperson would only sell a product he would be prepared to use himself. How gullible I really am, next thing you know I might start believing in global warming and preaching about our need to be green (if it makes me a quick buck as well that can only be a plus for me).
Hahaha so if you work for Ford you can only buy a Ford ? If you work for BMW you can only drive them ? It’s actually the Wife’s car I do drive a car for the brand I work for and actually that’s electric as well.

Like a said before I have them because they save me money no other reason I’m certainly not a green convert etc. Just wanted to say the cars are actually ok not trying to convert anyone there not for everyone as it’s been mentioned.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 16:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
i really doubt once electric vehicles become the main stream the owners will be on zero tax. plus the price of electric itself may or more likely be much higher than it presently is. possibly at the moment running on electric may be cheaper now than it will be in the future. the government needs to get their money from somewhere. it obviously will not happen but if everyone stopped smoking, only drove electric and ditched their current cars where is all this money to come from. i,m usually first in line looking for savings but i,ll never be sold over as i,d feel i,ve joined the lefties and greens by doing so. know its a cutting off my nose situation but i cannot help it. just hate the sods with a passion.
I agree once we’ve all got them the tax will come back and charges for electric will go through the roof, they will get their money back somewhere.

Last edited by Shurm; 06-08-2021 at 16:45.
Old 06-08-2021, 17:08   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think it will be a damn long time before we all get them, so yeh should be ok with costs for a good while yet shurm. i would pack in driving before i got one personally,
Old 06-08-2021, 18:59   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i think it will be a damn long time before we all get them, so yeh should be ok with costs for a good while yet shurm. i would pack in driving before i got one personally,
Yeah hopefully, I used to hate them with a passion years ago but with having to sell them I gradually got used to them then realised with no fuel or tax to pay my overall costs were actually cheaper !!
Old 06-08-2021, 19:10   #24
Beacon of light

If electric cars are going to be a viable concern, then there needs to be a lot of investment in the infrastructure that would support this.
I think maybe Hydrogen powered vehicles would be a better development.
They count as electric vehicles, because they are powered by an electric motor....the only emissions are heat and water.
There are some Hydrogen vehicles available..but at what cost....Toyota and Hyundai are both looking at the further development of vehicles....the problem currently is that there are very few refuelling stations.....so again investment needed to support these.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:49   #25
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Hahaha so if you work for Ford you can only buy a Ford ? If you work for BMW you can only drive them ? It’s actually the Wife’s car I do drive a car for the brand I work for and actually that’s electric as well.

Like a said before I have them because they save me money no other reason I’m certainly not a green convert etc. Just wanted to say the cars are actually ok not trying to convert anyone there not for everyone as it’s been mentioned.
Now you're being silly, I don't expect that you or any other salesperson will ever apply higher principles to these or any other products because there isn't really such a beast as an honest salesperson, all sales are based on profit not what is best for the customer and just like all members of the public, salesmen/women react to greed and the best deals for themselves.

I don't consider you or others within your trade to be any different to the rest of us.

Last edited by Less; 07-08-2021 at 07:55.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:21   #26
God Member

[QUOTE=Shurm;1255839]Hahaha so if you work for Ford you can only buy a Ford ? If you work for BMW you can only drive them ?

funny that. when i worked in coventry we used to take buses to ryton when peugeots were being built there. you saw the workers driving their cars away but hardly ever saw a peugeot of any model amongst them.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:28   #27
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Plenty of Beamers in & out the gates at Münich, also lots of VW's in & out at Wolfsburg, I believe Opel gave their staff massive discounts if they bought an Opel of some description.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 08-08-2021 at 09:31.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:33   #28
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
you saw the workers driving their cars away but hardly ever saw a peugeot of any model amongst them.

Lets face it, it's a frog mobile, sooner wear a sign saying I'm an alphabettie than personally pay for & own a frog transporter.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:30   #29

IMO electric cars may be nice to drive, have lower refuel costs etc.
However the no tax bit will end once the take up is enough, because that's our governments for you.

Being in a terraced house I cannot see me ever having one as I don't want to fight for the nearest charge point (of which there will be very few) nor do I want the repeat cost of replacing the batteries after these quick charges have goosed them (and it does).

The plan is doomed, doomed I tell ya!
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 12:31   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
IMO electric cars may be nice to drive, have lower refuel costs etc.
However the no tax bit will end once the take up is enough, because that's our governments for you.

Being in a terraced house I cannot see me ever having one as I don't want to fight for the nearest charge point (of which there will be very few) nor do I want the repeat cost of replacing the batteries after these quick charges have goosed them (and it does).

The plan is doomed, doomed I tell ya!
ITS NOT DOOMED I THINK COS THERES TOO many knob heads that infest earth theses days.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..