Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2004, 15:56   #1
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Best gigs

What are the best or worst gigs you've been to?

Being an 80's girl, one of the best gigs I went to was Madness, it was like a 2 hour aerobics session, Squeeze, Deacon Blue and the Beautiful south were also brilliant.

Some of the worst people I've seen on stage are Visage (Steve Strange had absolutely no stage presence what so ever) The Belle Stars (diabolical) 5 Star (nearly demanded my money back)

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2004, 15:58   #2
God Member

Re: Best gigs

Did'nt we have this discussion along time back....about just how useless the 1980's were (especially the music)
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2004, 17:03   #3
I am Band

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros, The Academy, Oxford road, Manchester, Thursday 28th October 1999, ticket number 01482.

He started off playing songs from his recently released album, 'Rock Art and The X-Ray Style', which were well received, but that wasn't the real reason the Academy was packed that night. Forth song in, opening bars of The Clash song Capital Radio, MOSH!!! The place went berserk. Absolutely mental. Lots of Clash numbers... 'Bankrobber', 'I Fought the Law', 'Police On My Back', Joe had a thing about Coppers, (are you listening Plod). 'White Man In Hammersmith Palais' got the biggest ovation of the night.
The encore rounded off the night with a bass driven version of Straight To Hell. He played guitar with a passion and a belief in the words he sang. I have never been to a gig before, or since, where there has been so much energy on stage, equally matched by the crowd. It took three days for my hearing to return, about a week for the grin to subside, but the memories of that night will never fade.

I saw Joe play again at the Academy in 2001, at Manchester Area supporting The Who, and what turned out to be one of his last ever gigs, at Blackpool Winter Gardens, in November 2002, before he sadly passed away in December 2002. Each concert was different, and supurb in their own right, but they will never match or surpass the night of 28th October 1999.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 17-04-2004 at 16:29.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2004, 17:22   #4

I've never been to a gig like that but the best bands I've ever seen would be either Foo Fighters or Goldfinger.
Old 27-03-2004, 16:07   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

The Joe Strummer gig sounds like it was great, and has prompted me to dig out some of my old stuff that I haven't played for ages. I'm trying to replace some of my old vinyl with cd's, I've a feeling it will cost me a fortune....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 27-03-2004, 17:10   #6
Senior Member+

I so Genisis and Paul Young back in the late eighties at round hey park, leeds. Excellent day out.did not get chance to get drunk as all bags were searched on the way in.
Old 27-03-2004, 18:27   #7
I am Band

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
The Joe Strummer gig sounds like it was great, and has prompted me to dig out some of my old stuff that I haven't played for ages. I'm trying to replace some of my old vinyl with cd's, I've a feeling it will cost me a fortune....
Oh no it won't.
If its by The Clash i've got it, including the box set 'Clash on Broadway' Also got 'Cut The Crap' the 1985 album, its as rare as rocking horse doo-doos on cd only one good song on it, 'This is England'... possibly Strummers finest musing.

Same era, anything by The Jam. All the albums, box set, retrospectives. Lots of punk & new wave compilations & best of albums on Mp3 and access to many more. Late 70s & 80s

If you want to borrow them (only to listen to mind you, coz Plod would frown on pirating.. sod 'im i can copy 'em) drop me a line me.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2004, 18:38   #8
Filthy / Gorgeous

Looking for a good punk compilation. Had one on tape and can't find it anywhere, think my sister has probably nicked it. It was a tape that a lad I met in a pub did for me and posted through my front door. I don't even know his name and haven't seen him for donkeys years, but though it was really kind of him anyway. Have some of the Jam and quite a few new wave compilations now, but am definately short on punk. Had a tape on in my mates car last night on our way out, singing along to Anarchy in the UK, brought back a few memories. Wonder if my mate nicked my tape???????

Old 20-06-2004, 21:31   #9
God Member

Been to lots of good gigs, Simple Minds were great, Dire Straits, Bryan Adams were also good and were supported by about 4 bands each, can only remember Extreme, Voice of the Beehive, lyle lovitt. Enjoyed Deacon Blue, Squeeze, Lisa Stansfield but I think my favourite has to be Marc Almond at Blackburn King Georges, I idolised him, I won 2 tickets in the Telegraph and was sat next to Dave Ball ( Soft Cell) I also got an autograph and a kiss from Marc (though I dont tend to admit that these days!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2004, 01:35   #10

Well, being only 14 I havn't been to too many gigs... The best one was probably Sum 41 and I don't even like them anymore.... Heh, I missed all the good bands....
tonygillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2004, 02:08   #11

Elton John,Genesis, Bowie, Paul Young, Depeche mode, UB40, Squeeze but the best was Simply Red!!! must say Bowie was a bit crap. Now we're more theatre go-ers cause thats what the kids are into! saw Cats last week that was pretty good! but living not far from Toronto makes that stuff pretty easy
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2004, 04:27   #12
resting in peace

Reading this lot makes me feel like a Dinosaur!
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 19:42   #13
Junior Member+

seen loads of bands here ,some of the best ,iron maiden ,the clash and some of the worst r the rizzilloes (think its spelt like so )they where naff honest,and u ever seen tube,saw em at manchester in the late seventies ,they come from america and was billed as the best punk band outta usa ,wot a load of tosh they where
urbangorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 20:03   #14
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I've seen loads of excellent live gigs but the best has to be U2 at Manchester Apollo in the early 80's.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 22:08   #15

Been to loads,4 Glastonburys,Leeds Festival.Seen Manic Street Preachers 4 times,stagedived with Foo Fighters.Seen virtually evreyone Green day,alanis morrisette twice,eminem,oasis 3 times,sex pistols,Paul McCartney,Bowie twice,Travis twice,Stereophonics,Iron Maiden 4 times,Metallica twice and the list goes on and on and i'd be here all night but the best ever was Muse this year at Glastonbury.They are the best live band in the world ever.3rd time seeing them and they're still getting better and are untouchable.
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..