Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2009, 16:16   #1

Who has been the greatest Motown artist ever?

Who has been the greatest Motown artist ever?

Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, Smokey Robinson or someone else?

Celebrating 50 years of Motown records This Day in Music have launched a poll to find out what you think.

You can vote on This Day in Music.com

Some Facts:
As a songwriter, Berry Gordy had his first hit in 1957 with Reet Petite, sung by Jackie Wilson. Gordy quit his car factory job in the same year and went on to launch the independent Tamla Record Company on 12 January 1959, using a family loan of $800.

The original name for the Tamla label was "Tammy," after the Debbie Reynolds song, but it was taken

Motown, a blend of the words "motor" and "town", is also a nickname for Detroit - the label's original base and the historic home of the US car industry. Its original "Hitsville USA" headquarters in the city - which opened in January 1960 - housed the label's recording studio and offices.

Marv Johnson's song Come To Me was the label's first release, issued as Tamla 101.

The Marvelettes' Please Mister Postman was Motown's first US number one. Released in August 1961, it took 14 weeks to reach the top of the chart. (Also covered by the Beatles and was taken back to the US top spot by The Carpenters in 1974).

"Little Stevie Wonder" signed to Motown in 1961 and has been with the label ever since. He came into his own in the 1970s recording classic albums such as Talking Book and Songs in the Key of Life. His 1984 song I Just Called To Say I Love You is Motown's biggest-selling single.

The Beatles recorded three Motown songs on their 2nd album, Please Mister Postman, You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me and Money, (That’s What I want).

Martha And The Vandellas version of Dancing In The Street was recorded live in two takes. The first take was missed after the studio engineer forgot to turn the tape on. The song was original offered to Marvin Gaye who also has a writing credit on the song.

Marvin Gaye sang background on records by Chuck Berry and Etta James, was a member of The Moonglows and worked as a session drummer (he played on The Marvelettes' 1961 hit, "Please Mr. Postman" and Little Stevie Wonder's live version of 1963 hit, "Fingertips Pt. 2").

The Funk Brothers were the musicians who provided the backing on most Motown records between 1959 and 1972. It’s claimed they have played on more number one hits than Elvis, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles combined.

“I Heard It Through The Grapevine” written by Motown writers Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong with backing played by the Funk Brothers - was a number one for Marvin Gaye in the US and the UK in 1968 and became Motown's biggest-selling record.
Spiritinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2009, 16:41   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Who has been the greatest Motown artist ever?

difficult choice that been some great artists on motown, some even better on "Stax" etc will have to give serious thought to this, think the choice on site is a bit limited. the "Four Tops" springs to mind should not be omitted from it.

Last edited by cashman; 09-01-2009 at 16:44.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 17:15   #3
God Member

Couldn't put my finger on one artist. For me Motown is more about great records than great artistes, as the best songs were recorded several times by the top artists of the day. Grapevine, etc.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 17:35   #4
Resting in Peace

I think that Marvin Gaye took some beating, but I also like Stevie Wonder, he's still a class act today, and on the group side for me definitely the Four Tops
Old 09-01-2009, 17:48   #5
Resting In Peace

Jimmy Ruffin was my favourite Motown artist, "Farewell Is A Lonely Sound" that IS a classic record in my humble opinion, closely followed by Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine".
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 20:58   #6
God Member

Impossible to say who the best Motown artist was, but think its fair to say the label would never have grown as big as it did without the songwriting team of Holland-Dozier-Holland providing many of the songs
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 21:05   #7
God Member

Hard to pick just one there were/are so many greats
Old 10-01-2009, 11:57   #8
Super Moderator

Got to admit, my choices would certainly be very much in a minority...The Contours (who recorded the original version of "Do You Love Me?". later covered by the Dave Clark 5 and Brian Poole & The Tremeloes, over here)...Mable John (only artist, I think, to record for both Motown and Stax)...and Junior Walker & The All-Stars, who managed to combine the 50's sax-honking sound with the 60's Holland-Dozier-Holland sound...the bluesy, rootsy side of Motown.
Old 10-01-2009, 15:05   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Jimmy Ruffin was my favourite Motown artist, "Farewell Is A Lonely Sound" that IS a classic record in my humble opinion, closely followed by Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine".
Saw Jimmy Ruffin at the Cav in the 70's had a chat with him back stage, a real laid back bloke, think my favourite song of his was What Becomes of the Broken Hearted
Old 14-01-2009, 07:12   #10

I go with Wynonie on this with the addition of Edwin Starr,and the Isley Brothers, good versions of How Sweet it is, Put yourself in my Place, and the Originals. But Smokey & the Temps, and Supremes, got all the limelight.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 20:35   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
I go with Wynonie on this with the addition of Edwin Starr,and the Isley Brothers, good versions of How Sweet it is, Put yourself in my Place, and the Originals. But Smokey & the Temps, and Supremes, got all the limelight.
Some good choices there, Al, especially Edwin Starr, who was probably more popular in the UK than he was in his home country. Once saw him at an all-nighter in Stoke-on-Trent. He was performing with backing tapes, but the machine broke down. He then sang acapella for an hour and kept the audience totally enthralled. How many of today's artistes could do that?
Old 06-02-2009, 18:06   #12
God Member

Gotta be the Supremes ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 18:39   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

R.Dean.Taylor the first "White" artist to record on motown gotta be worth a mention, "Lets Go Somewhere" is a great recording n that was a "B" side.
Old 06-02-2009, 21:24   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Some good choices there, Al, especially Edwin Starr, who was probably more popular in the UK than he was in his home country. Once saw him at an all-nighter in Stoke-on-Trent. He was performing with backing tapes, but the machine broke down. He then sang acapella for an hour and kept the audience totally enthralled. How many of today's artistes could do that?
I don't know how many of today's artists could do it .... it seems as if anyone with a gimmick and thousands of dollars of sound equipment can become a "star". When I think of a powerful voice, one that was beautiful unadorned, the late Mahalia Jackson comes to mind ... maybe in "gospel" one could find some ... and then, there are always singers like k. d. lang.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 23:27   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
there are always singers like k. d. lang.
Whose version of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' knocks spots off the recent no.1 by the 'X-Factor' winner.
Have A listen:

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..