Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Music, Bands, Noise!
Donate! Join Today

Music, Bands, Noise! Want to talk about the latest tunes or find like minded musicians in our area, this place is for you!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By dotti34
  • 2 Post By taddy
  • 2 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2021, 19:22   #1
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
The Swedes are back.

About 40 years ago ABBA called it a day, now they are back with a new Album & an upcoming tour. Not sure what the reception has been like in UK, but over here the Germlings seem to be going loopy for it. Pretty much every radio station I hear is going on about their return & playing new tracks. Apparently the Album went on sale as of midnight yesterday. Me personally will hum along or have a quick mumble of the song (the older stuff) as it's being played but never really been mad daft for their music, Marion on the other hand was always quite keen, something to do with her "Dancing Queen" teenie days.

That said, what I have heard of the album seems typically ABBA but with a certain "Celtic" undertone. For some reason I seem to have gotten a little emotional over some of the new tracks I've heard so far (Am I going through my very own blokey Mental Pause? who knows?) .... which quite surprised me. There's even one about a failing relationship "I can be that Woman" were a hound has an integral part of the story bizzarely enough, plus there is also a sickly sweet Christmas ditty rounded out with a school choir doing the chorus. Of the 2 tracks pre released "I still have faith in you", tends to pull at my inner wussy side.

So, anybody out there got any views, opinions, couldn't care less or just want to rip the pish out of me for being a bit wussified, crack on folks I've got big slopey shoulders.
Old 05-11-2021, 20:01   #2
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: The Swedes are back.

Forgot to mention, the Album is called "Voyage" & the tours apparently are to be proper "techy & Carlos Fandango".

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 05-11-2021 at 20:05.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 22:37   #3

Not sure how I feel about the upcoming concert, Dave. It won't be them in person performing at this concert but digital projections of the group as they were in 1979, or thereabouts. I suppose it will be quite an experience for those who go to this concert, but will a digital version be as meaningful as the real thing? Then again, they are much older now so maybe it would be a bit of a let down to see them as they are today and we should be grateful for technology.

However, no doubt I will be tapping my feet when I listen to their album.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 22:47   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Then again, they are much older now so maybe it would be a bit of a let down to see them as they are today and we should be grateful for technology.

However, no doubt I will be tapping my feet when I listen to their album.

There are a few Photies out there, Benny & Bjorn haven't really changed much, Anni-Frid is unrecognizable & Agnetha is carrying a few extra pounds but there is a faint resemblance to her younger days.

Still, the music & the girls voices are those of old.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:09   #5
Beacon of light

For years members of this group did not speak to each other….so what is the motive behind a new album after four decades…..ah yes….MONEY.
(Surely they cannot be short of a Bob or two…..unless they have a tax bill unpaid of course)
I cannot say that I liked their wares the first time around…..I hesitate to call it music….it was just noise to me….though strangely, my dad LIKED them….reason enough for me to think they were not for me.
I like lots of different types of music… But Definitely not ABBA……give me Pink Floyd any day, the Beatles, The Eagles…..but please don’t assault my ears with this stuff.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:09   #6

I wonder if their natural voices really do sound exactly as they did 40 years or so ago. They are in their 70’s now and the cynic in me wonders if there just might have been some clever engineering done in the recording studio regarding this new record. Just my opinion, my apologies if I am wrong.

As for a digitally enhanced concert, well if the four of them aren’t going to be there in person why bother to pay good money to see some sort of hologram or whatever. I read where the audience will be able to get up close and personal with the ‘recreation of the superstars’, well that sounds exciting – not! I have also read that body doubles in their twenties were hired to film scenes that will be used in the show.

It sounds like a very clever concept in the way technology will be used but does not appeal to me – but then I like the real thing and this all sounds a bit false. No doubt there will be plenty of fans going crazy over it and enjoying it all, filling the group’s coffers. My non-contribution will not be missed.
cashman likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 20:56   #7
Senior Member+

Haven't they done a Christmas record in 2021 and it didn't even get in the chart?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 11:24   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Admission of guilt, while drunk shopping & feeling a little melancholy I purchased said Album . Only to find it was freely available to me with my Amazon Prime membership.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:54   #9

[QUOTE=DaveinGermany;1262422]Admission of guilt, while drunk shopping & feeling a little melancholy I purchased said Album . Only to find it was freely available to me with my Amazon Prime membership.

What, a Scouser paying for something that he could have got for free, you must be having a Giraffe.
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:39   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
What, a Scouser paying for something that he could have got for free, you must be having a Giraffe.

By free, I assume you're just being polite by not saying "Could've nicked"?

When Covid broke out in the "Pool" there was a major panic until someone posted the below item to the "L'pool Echo".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20210301-WA0000.jpg (59.9 KB, 9 views)
cashman and taddy like this.
Old 12-01-2022, 18:19   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

When I saw the thread title 'The Swedes are back', I thought you were announcing you'd gone veggie and your lunch had given you indigestion!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 18:45   #12
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
When I saw the thread title 'The Swedes are back', I thought you were announcing you'd gone veggie and your lunch had given you indigestion!

Wash your mouth out! I point blank refuse to become a vegetablist through choice ever! Gawd made bacon for a reason, those that don't or won't eat it are obviously damned to a life of misery & are no doubt somewhat strange, suspect & peculiar in their doings.
cashman likes this.
Old 18-01-2022, 13:07   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

didnt mind Abba but Floyd are my favourite group. but to be honest i have never seem them and wouldnt go to end of the street to see a performance that is not live.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..