Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2008, 19:55   #16
God Member

Re: Gunther Von Hagens

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Really? I have heard good reviews, what was so bad?
Tell me now so I can save £17 quid.
Might've been a combination of my high expectations of the event and my reluctance to pay extra for an audio tour guide (would recommend this - people who have had this on visiting the exhibit have said it's very useful).

I just didn't see the point at all. I didn't learn anything and, ironically, the specimens didn't look real to me. However I went with my girlfriend who is a med student and she loved it so with that and the good reviews you've heard it's obviously worth it.

Don't listen to me
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2008, 19:59   #17
Beacon of light

During my training I went to a few PMs(post mortems)...they were interesting enough in the context of learning about anatomy...but heck I don't think I would be paying to go and look at such stuff......No, I'd rather go on that big wheel thing...and then do the shops.
But hey, if it floats your boat!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 21:17   #18
God Member

I went at the end of Feb and found it very interesting.

There are all kinds of body parts on display. You can see smoker's and non smoker's lungs, an alcoholic's liver and many many others.

There are full bodies on display too, hanging up and sliced so you can see cross sections of the body from head to toe.

In a side area (possibly because it may be upsetting to those who have lost a baby or had an abortion) you don't have to walk through this area to view the rest of the exhibition, it's to one side off the main exhibition. There are plasticised babies and foetuses from a couple of weeks after conception to a full term baby.

I was fascinated to see the plasticised foetuses so close up at various stages of development but appreciate that this wouldn't do for everyone which is why I guess it is to one side so you can view the rest of the exhibits without seeing these if it's going to upset you.

Well worth a visit, Lindsay.
Old 09-04-2008, 21:35   #19
Senior Member+

Well , we are going now, the child isn't over keen but we will see how she is tomorrow, think it's because she doesn't want to get up !
Old 10-04-2008, 16:08   #20
Senior Member+

Well, we have just got back from Manchester.
We both enjoyed the exhibition, I had a moment's hesitation about taking the child to see it but she was fine, she found it interesting if a little unnerving. Her day was made by the sight of a spotty youth having to be given a chair and a bucket as he was gonna be sick, the sweat was pouring off him and he was very pale !
Overall I would say it's worth a look, there are a lot of plastinated bodies and slices, loads of internal organs and even a plastinated gorilla. The sliced ones that are hung like mobiles are the most breathtaking,most folk there seemed to be finding it interesting and different than anything else they might have seen.
I'd go again.
Nice one Gunther, you can have my old bones when i'm done with them !
Old 10-04-2008, 16:10   #21
God Member

Quote:
Well, we have just got back from Manchester.
We both enjoyed the exhibition, I had a moment's hesitation about taking the child to see it but she was fine, she found it interesting if a little unnerving. Her day was made by the sight of a spotty youth having to be given a chair and a bucket as he was gonna be sick, the sweat was pouring off him and he was very pale !
Overall I would say it's worth a look, there are a lot of plastinated bodies and slices, loads of internal organs and even a plastinated gorilla. The sliced ones that are hung like mobiles are the most breathtaking,most folk there seemed to be finding it interesting and different than anything else they might have seen.
I'd go again.
Nice one Gunther, you can have my old bones when i'm done with them !
What did you think about the babies and foetuses, Lindsay?

Or didn't you go through that bit?
Old 10-04-2008, 16:11   #22
Senior Member+

Whats On | BODY WORLDS 4 | MoSI

Link here for those of you brave enough to look !
Old 10-04-2008, 16:15   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
What did you think about the babies and foetuses, Lindsay?

Or didn't you go through that bit?
Yes, we went thru that bit, it's a good idea to have it separated in case it offends/upsets.
I thought it was very well presented, the different sizes of embryos and foetuses were easy to look at, I had a miscarriage myself a few years ago and I found it interesting and not at all upsetting.
Old 10-04-2008, 17:41   #24
Junior Member+

I have been as well. I have to agree with shaker. It seemed like there was too much plastic. The internal organs section was good as it showed them in various states, ie the effect disease has on them. We paid £34 for a family of 4. I thought that it would be more "dead" . Had to wait for 30 minutes to get in so pre booking might be a good idea
chickentikkabalti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 17:47   #25
Senior Member+

We got there at 12:30 and went straight in, it was busy though.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes, we went thru that bit, it's a good idea to have it separated in case it offends/upsets.
I thought it was very well presented, the different sizes of embryos and foetuses were easy to look at, I had a miscarriage myself a few years ago and I found it interesting and not at all upsetting.
I went to the exhibition myself a few years ago with my ex-(i had a miscarriage when i was 18) and looking at the part showing the foetuses etc was very strange,seeing how they look at the different stages really helped in a way.
We need exhibitions like this IMO-helps get things out in the open and stops people being so worried about issues that were once brushed under the carpet.Made me feel more relaxed about the whole issue.

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..