Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2008, 19:02   #16
Senior Member+

Re: The Hilton Art Gallery

I agree G, I hope it's a success but it looks a bit pricey.
Old 21-03-2008, 19:14   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Not putting the kibosh on it, but I don't know many artists that would pay to exhibit in a new gallery, albeit one without a proven track record of promoting and selling artist's work.

Most London galleries, from new ones in the eastend, to pricey Cork and Bond Street galleries, all work on commission of works sold, and don't charge exhibition rates to the artists.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 19:20   #18
Senior Member+

So it's £100 for a week in one room, plus £300 to hang the pictures up and another £300 for some flyers.....
Old 21-03-2008, 19:25   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
So it's £100 for a week in one room, plus £300 to hang the pictures up and another £300 for some flyers.....
Hyndburn is hardly a destination for the world's biggest art collectors and investors.

Let's hope for this new venture's future, it soon will be.

Old 21-03-2008, 19:26   #20
God Member

Sad - but I can't see it lasting long

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 19:34   #21
Give, give, give member

Personally I think it should be showing student's, and amateur's work, as well as those who've peraphs moved back to the area after being away at art school, but who as yet don't have a commercial client base.

I think people will go and visit the gallery, and hopefully buy, if the work is any good, and is fairly priced, but I really don't know many people who are in the position to pay out for exhibition space, with no guarantee of selling even one work.

Dawn, I'm really not getting on your case, but I'd hate for this to be the reason your gallery isn't a success. I can't think of any other galleries that don't work on commission of the work they actually sell, on behalf of the artists they are showing.

Old 21-03-2008, 20:30   #22
God Member

Yes, sorry, didn't want to put a dampener on things - I think it's a great initiative, I was just questioning the cost so that I could understood it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 20:35   #23
Senior Member+

You did right Gayle, to be honest I had looked at the website but hadn't noticed the prices, maybe this will give Dawn a chance to possibly re -evaluate, she acknowledges she is new to this so Garinda's experience might be helpful to her.
Old 22-03-2008, 00:42   #24
I am Banned

No, not at all, it means the exhibiting artist would have to stand and sell their own work.

Hope that answers your question.

Dawn.x
dawn hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 14:35   #25
God Member

Actually the more I think about it the more I like the concept. Basically, if you bring it down to basics - it's an opportunity for an artist to have a 'shop' space for a short period. I do wonder if the costs might be a bit off putting for a new artist. I do also wonder whether there is enough demand for art in the area at the moment that there would be enough sales in which case the concept might not last long.

Good luck and I'll pop in and visit as soon as I can.

Old 22-03-2008, 15:46   #26
God Member

I found this article about it on the Telegraph's website and it does appear a more 'social' enterprise than I initially thought.

Grieving Mum Opens Art Gallery (from Lancashire Telegraph)

Old 22-03-2008, 22:54   #27
God Member

Good luck.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 19:05   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Well sorry to upset you all with the prices, but I am not a charity and I have worked out my costs according to the costs that it costs to run The Gallery.I will also be on a low wage from The Gallery and don't plan on taking a wage for a year or two.I do not charge commission.
Old 28-03-2008, 19:11   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Personally I think it should be showing student's, and amateur's work, as well as those who've peraphs moved back to the area after being away at art school, but who as yet don't have a commercial client base.

I think people will go and visit the gallery, and hopefully buy, if the work is any good, and is fairly priced, but I really don't know many people who are in the position to pay out for exhibition space, with no guarantee of selling even one work.

Dawn, I'm really not getting on your case, but I'd hate for this to be the reason your gallery isn't a success. I can't think of any other galleries that don't work on commission of the work they actually sell, on behalf of the artists they are showing.
May I tell you that the 1st booking of the Gallery is from The Accrington College where a group of Students are working with Zap Grafitti from Liverpool and they will be exhibiting their art in The Hilton Gallery on May the 15th, with a preview on or around the 12th of May.Hope that imformation helps?I will always support students and up and coming artist if I feel their work is acceptable.
Old 28-03-2008, 19:13   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn hilton View Post
May I tell you that the 1st booking of the Gallery is from The Accrington College where a group of Students are working with Zap Grafitti from Liverpool and they will be exhibiting their art in The Hilton Gallery on May the 15th, with a preview on or around the 12th of May.Hope that imformation helps?I will always support students and up and coming artist if I feel their work is acceptable.
PS As for the prices, if there are a group of artists that wish to hire the Gallery, they can always share the costs.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..