Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2011, 19:44   #166
Senior Member+

Re: Accyweb Meet

Myself and Ian did have every intention of sitting outside with the smokers, but got chatting with Barrie, Littlepom and Stuart. Before we knew it, it was time to go home to let the babysitter go. Whilst it's not nice as a non smoker going home with your clothes smelling of smoke, I grew up in a household with both my parents being smokers, so it doesn't really bother me as much as it could others.

It was nice to see everyone again, but I don't think any of the meets will ever be the same as those that we used to hold at the Stag.

Accrington Web
Old 20-08-2011, 21:15   #167
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
True yer not, but yer are anti- social.
So you won't be seeing me at any more meets then, no point in turning up when I could sit my own back yard and freeze to death drinking crap beer then is there?
Old 20-08-2011, 22:53   #168
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
So you won't be seeing me at any more meets then, no point in turning up when I could sit my own back yard and freeze to death drinking crap beer then is there?
well yeh can disagree wi yerself there.
Old 21-08-2011, 00:02   #169
God Member

How's about we have accyweb meets for smokers and non-smokers on different dates and at different venues???? Then maybe we compare how well attended or not as the case may each meet is.
It seems to me that accyweb meets are on the decline and the ones making most noise about it are the ones that very rarely/never attend.
Old 21-08-2011, 00:43   #170
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
How's about we have accyweb meets for smokers and non-smokers on different dates and at different venues????
Was going to cheekily post something similar, but thought better of it, seeing as I couldn't go.

If I had, being the social butterfly that I am, I'd have flown hither and thither, but be mainly where I'd be most likely to have a good laugh.

As a smoker the Railway sounds ok-ish. Though I've never been. Neither inside nor out.

Thinking about it, the only meet I've been to since the smoking ban has been introduced, was a Christmas do at the Queens in Church.

Not much of a split that night.

Seeing as the smoking area was a tiny back-yard, accessed via the mens' bogs, and it was cold enough to freeze the angel hair off your seasonal baubles.

At the great meets I remember with fondness, there were no serious thread based discussions, no splits, no post-mortem bitchin', they were quite simply, just really good...
FUN!

Old 21-08-2011, 09:01   #171
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Was going to cheekily post something similar, but thought better of it, seeing as I couldn't go.

If I had, being the social butterfly that I am, I'd have flown hither and thither, but be mainly where I'd be most likely to have a good laugh.

As a smoker the Railway sounds ok-is. Though I've never been. Neither inside nor out.

Thinking about it, the only meet I've been to since the smoking ban has been introduced, was a Christmas do at the Queens in Church.

Not much of a split that night.

Seeing as the smoking area was a tiny back-yard, accessed via the mens' bogs, and it was cold enough to freeze the angel hair off your seasonal baubles.

At the great meets I remember with fondness, there were no serious thread based discussions, no splits, no post-mortem bitchin', they were quite simply, just really good...
FUN!
Well unfortunately I've never been to a meet, much as I'd like to, but I would have thought the idea of these meets were for members to get together have a face to face chat (by the way was Bee there) and as Rindi as said have fun, lets face it members can fall out day in day out on line, no need to do it at a meet
Old 21-08-2011, 09:19   #172
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
How's about we have accyweb meets for smokers and non-smokers on different dates and at different venues???? Then maybe we compare how well attended or not as the case may each meet is.
I seem to recall Bernie was probably the nearest to have spent equal time both inside and outside.

Last edited by Neil; 21-08-2011 at 09:39. Reason: fix quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:21   #173
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Did anyone,smoker or non smoker not have a good night?
Old 21-08-2011, 10:11   #174
mez
God Member

I am going to put my pennyworth in now .........as far as this last meet went i found it was ok a good turn out & a chat here & there, yes the smoking ban has contributed to "split" meets, but i think that the meets are to get to know the people who you are chatting & mabe disagreeing with online its up to the individuals to mix, as far as the venue's are concerned it has got harder & harder to find a good place for a meet up believe me i know
mick & i used to check out all venues for each meet ( mick to check on the "refreshments" & myself the layout). meets will never be the same as the stag ones that was "accywebs" home. i just wish all this backbiting & nitpicking was put on the back burner (left alone ) & mabe get your heads together & sort out if you would like another meet or not, its always been up to the members to agree where & when, with mick & myself as referee's.

sorry i had to go home early but the lights & telly's were effecting the infection in my eye otherwise i would have stayed till the end. ..........mez
Old 21-08-2011, 10:19   #175
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
I am going to put my pennyworth in now .........as far as this last meet went i found it was ok a good turn out & a chat here & there, yes the smoking ban has contributed to "split" meets, but i think that the meets are to get to know the people who you are chatting & mabe disagreeing with online its up to the individuals to mix, as far as the venue's are concerned it has got harder & harder to find a good place for a meet up believe me i know
mick & i used to check out all venues for each meet ( mick to check on the "refreshments" & myself the layout). meets will never be the same as the stag ones that was "accywebs" home. i just wish all this backbiting & nitpicking was put on the back burner (left alone ) & mabe get your heads together & sort out if you would like another meet or not, its always been up to the members to agree where & when, with mick & myself as referee's.

sorry i had to go home early but the lights & telly's were effecting the infection in my eye otherwise i would have stayed till the end. ..........mez
Your still the mother hen Mez and still talking sense
Old 21-08-2011, 10:20   #176
mez
God Member

thank you kind sir
Old 21-08-2011, 10:26   #177
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
thank you kind sir
I just tells the truth Mez
Old 21-08-2011, 12:28   #178
Beacon of light

Mez, you are right.
I think it is very easy to criticise an event when you haven't had to put the work into organising it. And I know such events do take some organising.
I haven't been to any of the meets, but I am sure I would be happy to mix with both groups of people...to get to know them.
Old 21-08-2011, 12:34   #179
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Mez, you are right.
I think it is very easy to criticise an event when you haven't had to put the work into organising it. And I know such events do take some organising.
I haven't been to any of the meets, but I am sure I would be happy to mix with both groups of people...to get to know them.
agree, seems odd to me some critisism came from one who wasn't there, i can only speak fer meself, but have never had a bad night at one, before n after the smoking ban,some people would win "Gold" if bitching was in the olympics.
Old 21-08-2011, 15:11   #180
Senior Member+

Well I had a good time, I am a smoker and were sat outside.
T'other half does not smoke but he didnt mind sitting outside.

TBH I didnt really venture inside as I were having a laugh outside.
I never think about the last.
Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..