Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2016, 16:04   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Illustrated talks for most social groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Ooh! Eric & Ernie?
The Crankies?
DaveinGermany likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-11-2016, 16:25   #32
Beacon of light

Don't you mean the Grumblies Less?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 16:46   #33
Senior Member+

I hasten to defend steverh, who I have heard speaking several times. I think there will be groups who will be pleased to hear of his activities as a speaker .I think he was treated harshly. Apart from his peaking, Steverh has compiled a website about Preston's licensed premises. It must surely be the best in the country and a model for others to follow

On behalf of the Lancashire Local History Federation, I maintain a list of speakers . Message me if you want to see it - send me your email address. Don't expect a quick response as I am away for a week
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 17:11   #34
Beacon of light

Bob, he may be a very good and interesting speaker. That really isn't the issue here.
The issue is, it looked like he was canvassing for a business venture.
He hadn't posted to any other sections of the forum, this what spammers do. They come, they advertise their services, their business and then we never hear from them again.
This is unhelpful to the forum. You always want new members to bring something of interest to the forum.
We have only become suspicious because of those in the past who have misused the forum.
It may be that he is going to be a good and interesting member, but as yet we do not know that.
If perhaps he had explained that he was having difficulties contacting groups that might be interested...again this would have put a different complexion on things.
I do not think he was treated harshly when you consider these facts.
Less, cashman and Gremlin like this.
Old 14-11-2016, 01:54   #35

Steverh, I’m one of the older generation of Accyweb members - much older than most I would say. Reading your original posting I find your perceived reference towards the lack of capability of older people is quite insulting.

I have read your website (I might be old but I CAN still find my way around, all by myself) and interesting as your topics might be, and I assume that they are, I do hope you don’t use the same condescending manner when speaking to your older audiences as that which comes across in your posting.

I have a positive suggestion. Now you are a member of Accrington Web why not do what other members do and start new threads about subjects that we (both young AND old) can then discuss. This would be much more productive for the forum. (Or are you one of those people who simply make use of Accrington Web for their own purpose and are of no value to the forum whatsoever. Hope not.)
cashman, Eric and maxthecollie like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 12:34   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Ooh! Eric & Ernie?

That sketch needs a third person - you could fill the slot admirably seeing that you originate from somewhere near Knotty Ash
Eric and DaveinGermany like this.
Old 14-11-2016, 15:19   #37
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Steverh, I’m one of the older generation of Accyweb members - much older than most I would say. Reading your original posting I find your perceived reference towards the lack of capability of older people is quite insulting.

I have read your website (I might be old but I CAN still find my way around, all by myself) and interesting as your topics might be, and I assume that they are, I do hope you don’t use the same condescending manner when speaking to your older audiences as that which comes across in your posting.

I have a positive suggestion. Now you are a member of Accrington Web why not do what other members do and start new threads about subjects that we (both young AND old) can then discuss. This would be much more productive for the forum. (Or are you one of those people who simply make use of Accrington Web for their own purpose and are of no value to the forum whatsoever. Hope not.)
Good one, Dotti Gotta admit that it was the whiff of condescension that rattled my cage too.

And maybe we could have some informative, educational threads on the old forum. I have an idea for one. "Excused Boots Bisley: His Influence on the Development of Comfortable Footwear for the Elderly." If this is too esoteric, I have more ideas.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 16:25   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Good one, Dotti Gotta admit that it was the whiff of condescension that rattled my cage too.

And maybe we could have some informative, educational threads on the old forum. I have an idea for one. "Excused Boots Bisley: His Influence on the Development of Comfortable Footwear for the Elderly." If this is too esoteric, I have more ideas.
Always ready to read about ideas from the elderly, get you nurse to put them on for you.
Eric and maxthecollie like this.
Old 14-11-2016, 17:17   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Always ready to read about ideas from the elderly, get you nurse to put them on for you.
Nah ... it's her turn to wear the handcuffs.
Old 14-11-2016, 22:03   #40

Can’t help you with the nurse bit and the handcuffs, Eric, but I could get out my little French maid’s outfit. It’s a bit moth-eaten and yellow with age – but then so am I - also a bit wrinkled (that’s me, not the outfit).

If you prefer I could do the Dance of the Seven Veils – but to preserve your sanity I’ll use flannelette sheets. I think a pair of those comfortable shoes for the elderly would complete the whole thing beautifully.

Heh! don’t laugh, I’m serious.
Old 14-11-2016, 22:05   #41

...and that's the stuff nightmares are made of.
Old 15-11-2016, 06:26   #42
Beacon of light

Well the vision that popped into my head made me smile.
Eric, dotti34 and Gremlin like this.
Old 15-11-2016, 13:17   #43
God Member

A warning to the young:

Old 15-11-2016, 15:50   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I hasten to defend steverh, who I have heard speaking several times. I think there will be groups who will be pleased to hear of his activities as a speaker .I think he was treated harshly. Apart from his peaking, Steverh has compiled a website about Preston's licensed premises. It must surely be the best in the country and a model for others to follow

On behalf of the Lancashire Local History Federation, I maintain a list of speakers . Message me if you want to see it - send me your email address. Don't expect a quick response as I am away for a week
Hasten away, that as a member is your right,

It is not your right as a member to spam the site or condone some Newby that spams the site then goes on to assume that the silver surfers that he is hoping to bulk up his audience are dumb.

He may be a very nice and interesting man, we don't know and so far he has done little to prove he is.
He has been advised to introduce himself (all new members are asked to do this).
He was told he had spammed the site, this he denied.
Until he proves otherwise he comes across as an arrogant self server.
It isn't up to you to defend him, it is up to him to prove his first post incorrect.
Will he do that?
I doubt it, in fact I doubt he will want to give to the site even as much as he hoped to take away, I hope he proves me wrong, is this the moment someone comes on and tells me not to hold my breath?
Old 15-11-2016, 16:34   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
the silver surfers that he is hoping to bulk up his audience are dumb.
I ain't no dummy. I were ahead of Jethro in the fourth grade. Ah, fourth grade ... the best three years of my life.
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.

Tags
illustrated lectures, social groups, talks

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..