Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Nightlife, Events, Days out
Donate! Join Today

Nightlife, Events, Days out To discuss events, nightlife, pubs etc.. in and around Accrington. Also days out and about, where to go, where have you been, let us know!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2019, 20:15   #1
Senior Member+

The Road to Peterloo

Last week I attended a community centre between Blackburn & Preston to see a 90-mins show called The Road to Peterloo. 4 folk-singers sang 20-odd songs interspersed with dialogue about the troubled decade leading to the infamous Peterloo Riot in Manchester in 1819 ( 200yrs in August). If anyone is thinking of putting on the show locally, see the website Road to Peterloo which is associated with the name of Brian Peters.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-06-2019, 08:40   #2
Senior Member+

Re: The Road to Peterloo

I've not see the recent film named Peterloo, but am told that it is very interesting historically. The name stems from the fact that the Battle of waterloo was still in my mnds of the population, and when a 'battle' took place in St Peter's Square, Manchester, it was compared to the one linked to Admiral Nelson, in mch the same way as in more recent times, the word 'gate' is used to compare it to Nixon's 'Watergate' scandal
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 18:54   #3
God Member

Re: The Road to Peterloo

I suspect it was alluding to Wellington rather than Nelson. But interesting that what seemed to be a modern media trend of attaching a catchy suffix, like ‘gate’, is nothing new after all.
Bob Dobson likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..