Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47   #241

Re: Barbary Coast

Anybody remember the "UNDERGROUND DISCO".........couple o nights a week but friday was best... it was underneath the WATERLOO PUB on penny street. this was a bit later on probably early seventies....
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-11-2011, 18:51   #242
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngleIron View Post
Anybody remember the "UNDERGROUND DISCO".........couple o nights a week but friday was best... it was underneath the WATERLOO PUB on penny street. this was a bit later on probably early seventies....
Used to go to an undergound night spot in Colne in the early 70s, bet Lancsdave remembers what it was called, was in the cellar of this big house
Old 01-11-2011, 21:36   #243
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Used to go to an undergound night spot in Colne in the early 70s, bet Lancsdave remembers what it was called, was in the cellar of this big house
Was that when yeh were a Burglar?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03   #244
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Was that when yeh were a Burglar?
Cheeky sod
Old 02-11-2011, 12:57   #245

Quote:
sorry for the delay Jaysay...not been too good of late....anyway, The STAX CLUB ..
Used to get off No46 Accybus on boule, buleov, BUS STATION, then cut through Cathederal grounds, coming out of the side (Church st.) entrance. I think the club was roughly around this area, across the road and up some steps.. (was there an arcade or several shops around the same area?)... well we called in there quite often, it was a good little club....
The Stax Club was up some steps in a little arcade at the top of Church Street. It was near where the esculator is at the back of Debenhams now. I wouldn't say they only played Stax and Atlantic, it was a mixture of popular soul and Motown music that was being played at other venues around this area.
keep the faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 13:45   #246

The Stax Club was up some steps in a little arcade at the top of Church Street. It was near where the esculator is at the back of Debenhams now. I wouldn't say they only played Stax and Atlantic, it was a mixture of popular soul and Motown music that was being played at other venues around this area.

Yea that sounds about right K T F... glad someone else remembers it cause it was a good club
AngleIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 14:13   #247
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yea that sounds about right K T F... glad someone else remembers it cause it was a good club
Yeah, I remember it. Was similar in a lot of ways to Accy Disco on Whalley Road. I always though they played more Stax and Atlantic type stuff than Motown, but that may be my memory playing tricks on me, after 40+ years!
Old 06-11-2017, 23:38   #248
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Used to be the castle i think?
It was then a bit later became Mr G's
Ryewolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 23:55   #249
Full Member+

My Mum and Dad used to run the Old Bank between 77-88, there where no other building either side at that time. He also had the Antley and Globe in Accrington. He will be 84 this year...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad1.jpg (195.9 KB, 11 views)
cashman likes this.
Ryewolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 13:47   #250
Junior Member+

We may have been "ships in the night".On a Friday night in the early 60's we would have a game of darts and a few pints in the Blockade then get the bus to Blackburn and the Peel, Vulcan,Jubilee,George & Dragon,Ribblesdale and Wheatsheaf. The Blackburn pubs shut at 10:30 pm so we would get the bus back to Accrington and run up to the Derby (Bees Knees) for last orders at 11:00. Must have been mad but we were happy
Luckyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..