Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 15:15   #106
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Barbary Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yes Cashy..i'm 95% certain, because i used to work round the corner on St Peters Street, and i also remember the Italian barbers Pasarini that you can also see in the photo. The more modern Red Brick building to the right, used to be a Youth Club/Community centre (West End) i think it was called. The Door on the Corner of the Pub has obviously been blocked up, and there's just the side entrace now down the side street. The Dirty Duck used to be a little further down that side side on the opposite side! I'm probably going to Blackburn tomorrow so will have a gander if i do!

Best Regards - Taggy
cheers Taggy what also threw me, was i'm sure the Dun Horse was a dutton house.
Old 03-08-2010, 16:49   #107

Was there one called the Viking? Peel was round the corner from the Vulcan more of a druggy hippy place, remember a guy called Tarzan about 4' 6 long black hair and a beard was well known in the 60's
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 17:42   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post

Think it was called OLD BANK
i always found it to be the roughest pub on the coast when i used to go round there in the late 70's
spignific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:13   #109

Here's the barbers if that's any help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0072.jpg (243.3 KB, 3 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:14   #110

Does this photo help?

Blackburn now and then, Blackburns History throughout the years
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:14   #111
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
i always found it to be the roughest pub on the coast when i used to go round there in the late 70's
I always thought Legs 'O Man was the roughest one...even the best room was bare floor boards. I remember watching two ladies of the night have a cat fight in there one saturday...it drew a hell of a crowd of lads as they manouvered on the deck. It got so hot that we were getting pints of mild from the bar to sling over them just to cool 'em down, although they seemed to take no notice as each was intent on performing some pretty basic eye surgery on t'other.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:18   #112
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
Don't think the Old Bank was on a corner spigs
Old 03-08-2010, 18:20   #113
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
Was there one called the Viking? Peel was round the corner from the Vulcan more of a druggy hippy place, remember a guy called Tarzan about 4' 6 long black hair and a beard was well known in the 60's
Don't recall a Viking on the coast, mind i'm talking early/late 60s.
Old 03-08-2010, 18:25   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I always thought Legs 'O Man was the roughest one...even the best room was bare floor boards. I remember watching two ladies of the night have a cat fight in there onesaturday.com drew a hell of a crowd of lads as they maneuvered on the deck. It got so hot that we were getting pints of mild from the bar to sling over them just to cool 'em down, although they seemed to take no notice as each was intent on performing some pretty basic eye surgery on t'other.
There were one or two choice establishments in the old days Tealeaf in the Tap Room of Little Grosvenor the ceiling and walls were splattered with blood, sawdust on the floor and a spittoon in the corner
Old 03-08-2010, 18:28   #115
God Member

Any of you lot remember that little hippie shop further up from the Castle/Dirty Duck? You could buy all sorts of stuff there..Oz magazine, grow your own waccy baccy kits, The Little Red Book (Thoughts of Chairman Mao), The Anarchist Cook Book, bomb making manuals..the lot. Fasinating place. They don't make 'em like that any more.
Old 03-08-2010, 18:30   #116
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There were one or two choice establishments in the old days Tealeaf in the Tap Room of Little Grosvenor the ceiling and walls were splattered with blood, sawdust on the floor and a spittoon in the corner
Aye, blood in the spitoon and sawdust on the wall (to cover the rest of the blood).
Old 03-08-2010, 18:31   #117

There was one up next door to the cinema slightly off the track what was that one?
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 18:32   #118
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

as jaysay says there were one or two rough joints, the "Sames Vault", Old Bank,Sun could get a bit iffy, but top of the pops without question in 60s to me was the "Legs" wi the legendary "Bob Cotton" in full flow, the County next door virtually was also a bit tasty.
Old 03-08-2010, 18:37   #119
God Member

Yeah...I forgot about the County.

One thing is for sure...in those days men were men and women were tarts. Despite all the fun and games that went on inside, there was never any need to have bouncers on the door. Some of those old pub bruisers would be turning in their grave now seeing what goes on in friday and saturday nights in the town centre.
Old 03-08-2010, 18:40   #120
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as jaysay says there were one or two rough joints, the "Sames Vault", Old Bank,Sun could get a bit iffy, but top of the pops without question in 60s to me was the "Legs" in the legendary "Bob Cotton" in full flow, the County next door virtually was also a bit tasty.
I'm surprised nobody as mentioned Yates Wine Lodge, the old one, what a den of iniquity that place was, two docs of Australian white please love, who are you calling love WHACK

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..