Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-09-2011, 09:42   #211
Resting in Peace

Re: Barbary Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
As it's number 6 I presume there were two buildings to its right
When my mate Jeff had it it stood on its own wadey, it reminded be of a pub I frequented in Peckham South London in the early 70s called the Montague Arms, all the property around it had be demolished leaving it standing on its own
Old 16-09-2011, 06:32   #212

The landlord did'nt have a son called Chris,did he jaysay, I was working in Riegate in Surrey in the early 70s with a guy called Chris Aust and his parents had a pub in London, Im sure it was the Montague. Near Scotland Yard. Mind you its a long time ago.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:11   #213
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
The landlord did'nt have a son called Chris,did he jaysay, I was working in Riegate in Surrey in the early 70s with a guy called Chris Aust and his parents had a pub in London, I'm sure it was the Montague. Near Scotland Yard. Mind you its a long time ago.
It was between the centre of Peckham and the Old Kent Road as I remember Alan, I know we could get a bus from our digs near the Oval Cricket Ground and it was about 4 stops down the line, the bus we caught was designated The Old Kent Road, as for the Landlord never new his name, gust his nick name, "Creeping Jesus" he was also the Drummer, the keyboard player was Peter Launden the pair were fronted by Singer Comedian Jimmy Jones, he was like London's answer to Bernard Manning sailed very close to the wind. When the Montague eventually closed the three of them opened a club called the King And Queen, in Canterbury, I still have a couple of vinyl albums recorded live at the Montague Arms.
Old 18-09-2011, 17:49   #214

I remember the Barbary Coast in Blackburn very well especially between 1970 and 1974. I have memories of going in the legs o man and the county well before I should have, and being bought half a mild by my underage boyfriend, as well as the Gladstone on Northgate, don't know whether it still exists. My friend's parents had the Old Bank at the time and my ex husband worked behind the bar there for a short time. I have very fond memories of the area, whilst it was rough and you saw life in the raw, I can honestly say I never felt threatened, but I wouldn't dream of going back there now because times have changed so much. It's a pity...
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 19:13   #215
Senior Member+

I have just spent half an hour reading all the posts about the Blackburn pubs past and present and realized what a sheltered life I must have led.
They all seemed to be rough old joints with plenty of undesirables frequenting them.
The only pub I ever drank in around Blackburn was the Pump House at the top of Pump street. I worked for Ribblesdale Batty Holt tours in the 60's when I arrived from over the border (Yorks) and when we had no job on the Pump House was where we could be found when the manager wanted us. The garage was at the bottom of the street.
Old 18-09-2011, 20:17   #216

I've just remembered my friend Julie and me going to Northern Soul night on Sundays at the Golden Palms, then popping out to watch the drag acts in the Merchants, then nipping back to the Golden Palms for the rest of the night. We had our hands stamped before we left!
Old 19-09-2011, 09:35   #217
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I've just remembered my friend Julie and me going to Northern Soul night on Sundays at the Golden Palms, then popping out to watch the drag acts in the Merchants, then nipping back to the Golden Palms for the rest of the night. We had our hands stamped before we left!
Ah so you popped in to see Ken and Pearl then
Old 19-09-2011, 19:51   #218

that pic is deffo the dunn horse wheatsheaf further down same side old bank is prob where this pic was taken from

Last edited by valerieg; 19-09-2011 at 19:54. Reason: wrong spelling
valerieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 19:52   #219

should say pic
valerieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 17:38   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ah so you popped in to see Ken and Pearl then
Yes we did, my friend worked in Carleys dress shop in Blackburn, and Pearl and a friend used to go in there on Saturday afternoons trying the clothes on. Seems like an awfully long time ago!
Old 26-09-2011, 09:06   #221
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Yes we did, my friend worked in Carly's dress shop in Blackburn, and Pearl and a friend used to go in there on Saturday afternoons trying the clothes on. Seems like an awfully long time ago!
Ya the good old days, of course Ken Pilling is dead now, but his memory still lives on in Blackburn
Old 19-10-2011, 11:09   #222
I am Banned

what about the dirty duck,anyone remember that pub
alan7554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 11:11   #223
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7554 View Post
what about the dirty duck,anyone remember that pub
Used to be the castle i think?
Old 19-10-2011, 18:06   #224
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Used to be the castle i think?
It surely was until Margo got her fingers on it
Old 19-10-2011, 20:17   #225
God Member

I think we've come round in circles on this one.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..