Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-04-2006, 10:47   #1

What did you get up to when you were a kid?

Reminiscing since I found this site.......and rembered lots of norty things I did as a kid....I really should have been locked up a few times.....but they never caught me.... .....it used to be fun tapping on phones at the phone boxes near the bus station..and getting free phone calls to your mates...another pastime was riding my bike round the market stalls weaving in and out of the stalls at breakneck speed.....was great to heckle Uncle Dick at market days too.... ..leaving the swing bridge across the canal open so pedestrians couldn,t get across....getting a platform ticket at Accy station and going trainspotting at Preston or Crewe...putting bangers in letterboxes of the neighbours you didn,t like and knocking on the door...playing doctors and nurses in a makeshift tent on Rileys hill...you always got better with a kiss..... .....pulling the girls pigtails and running away fast before their dad could get you... ..smoking dad,s dockers when I was 14.......capstan full strength.....gawd they were strong..... .....wagging school.........using school dinner money to buy chips instead.......the list goes on....
Of course.........I am an angel today......... .....bet there,s worse than me in here....lol.......

Tal
talentedbutslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-04-2006, 13:10   #2
God Member

Re: What did you get up to when you were a kid?

Oops a few in there I am guilty of but at the time it was fun. Looking back now I wonder how we got away with it.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 00:29   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i,m too ashamed to tell you,and besides you never know whose a member of accyweb.
Old 19-04-2006, 04:26   #4

HeHe.......I only told you lot......cos I,m 12,000 miles away.......
Old 19-04-2006, 05:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Oops a few in there I am guilty of but at the time it was fun. Looking back now I wonder how we got away with it.
Think we got away with it then spuggie coz it was harmless fun....not like today where even the police are limited to what they can do, gosh i had many a clip round the earhole from pilky the local bobby !
Old 19-04-2006, 12:49   #6
Resting in peace

Pinching the rhubarb that grew through the palings up at the allotments - bring a brown paper bag from home with some sugar in the bottom to dunk the rhubarb in - I'm not sure why we did it, I wasn't even that keen on rhubarb.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 19:08   #7

GRRRRRRRR........my dad had an allotment between Fern Gore and the Bullough playing fields...with rhubarb growing near the fence....SO.....it was you was it.....
Old 19-04-2006, 19:16   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy
Pinching the rhubarb that grew through the palings up at the allotments - bring a brown paper bag from home with some sugar in the bottom to dunk the rhubarb in - I'm not sure why we did it, I wasn't even that keen on rhubarb.
For years my nickname was' rhubarb', grew wild on the railway banking near where I lived; just loved it and could eat it as it were picked so to speak. Yummmeee
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2006, 23:16   #9

oopsa........all this talk of rhubarb......started me thinking of the apples I used to pinch off the neighbours tree........and he never caught me either.....he was known throughout the neighbourhood as Rip Van Winkle and his snoring was like a chain saw starting up........ummm.......that was the time to strike.......lol.....
Tal............
Old 19-04-2006, 23:44   #10
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow
GRRRRRRRR........my dad had an allotment between Fern Gore and the Bullough playing fields...with rhubarb growing near the fence....SO.....it was you was it.....
No, that would have been me........... Did he do Strawberries too? because I had them an all...

We had the pen at the top of the lane off Miller Fold, we grew rhubarb, tomotoes, Sweet Peas and other cut Flowers for the markets.
We never had any problems with kids because of the big ex Police Alsatian we had that and the fact that we where too busy scrumpping everyone elses....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2006, 00:35   #11

The guy next door had strawberries.......and he,s been looking for you for years..... ...what,s your address????..
Old 20-04-2006, 00:59   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentedbutslow
HeHe.......I only told you lot......cos I,m 12,000 miles away.......
i sorta sussed that tbs lol
Old 20-04-2006, 08:37   #13
Resting in peace

Not guilty TbutS, our allotments were behind Church Kirk somewhere, can't remember exactly where so I never nicked yours!

Once got caught scrumping apples with the local policeman's son, Stephen - his father walloped us both. I didn't dare tell when I got home, and spent the next few days praying he wouldn't tell either!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 03:45   #14

I remember picking blackberries for my nan to make a pie,we would eat has many as we picked, when we got back to the farm house, she would sprinkle pepper on them, and all the bugs would come out.god knows how many I had eaten.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 14:14   #15
white rabbits

oh my god ..me too. and raspberries ...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..