Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2004, 17:57   #76
Resident Waffler

Re: Accy Places

I remember The Blue Dahlia in the old days.

On the subject of tripe, this last week I was talking to someone from down south and he thought the sale of tripe had been banned following mad cow disease.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2004, 12:39   #77
Resting in peace

Ban tripe????

We've had mad cows in Accy for years, I should know .... but I don't think it's anything to do with vCJD!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 13:47   #78

I remember the young fella that lived at the pub in Melbourne St. He was a mate of mine. Keith was his name. Chippindale or similar as a surname rings a bell. I once peered into the cafe there through the window and a kid who was looking out suddenly flapped his ears. He really did. I got the shock of my life. It looked real funny.

I used to like going to the Hippodrome pantomimes at Christmas. One that stands out was 'Jack and the beanstalk'. Then another time my favourite funny man that I had seen in films was appearing live at the Hippo. How could I ever forget him. Old Frank Randle himself.
This thread is one of many I've read in the short time since I joined. I have read approx 400 threads. Mainly to do with nostalgia. Much to my wifes chagrin. She now thinks I am married to my computer. There are so many threads on the same theme it's hard to know where to post.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 14:51   #79
I am Band

Thumbs up Re: Accy Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
There are so many threads on the same theme it's hard to know where to post.
Terry, it really doesn't matter to that extent where you post. Just keep putting them memories down in writing, so we can all re-live them with you.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 15:37   #80

Thanks mate. I was beginning to think I was becoming a pest. It's just that all these pages have revived memories that had it not been for this site I would probably never have remembered any of the stuff that I have. If you follow my drift
Old 04-03-2005, 11:11   #81

Hi guys, I wonder if anybody can help me, it's a bit of a longshot but worth a try.

I've been trying to get hold of Robert Horrocks, who I believe ran the "Cranberry Fold" back when it was open. I stumbled across this thread so though I'd ask, do any of you know what happened to the place? It's owner? Any info would be greatly appreciated and even the smallest bit of info might help me find Mr Horrocks.

Thanks in advance if anybody can help

welshdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 22:47   #82

Keep it all coming Terry, Accrington of 50s & 60s is all I have, so it means a lot to me.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:30   #83
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
This thread is one of many I've read in the short time since I joined. I have read approx 400 threads. Mainly to do with nostalgia. Much to my wifes chagrin. She now thinks I am married to my computer. There are so many threads on the same theme it's hard to know where to post.
I just finished reading all the nostalgia threads. I am sitting here with a smile on my face, a sigh on my lips and warmth in my heart. I have not had anyone to remember with for many, many years. I recall the Empire as one of my favourite places way back when. Hmm I recall all the blackburn lads that filled the Empire back in the early sixty's. Ahh that formation dancing too, my goodness that just popped into my head. Sea Of Heartaches and Save the Last Dance for me. I wonder how many recordings of those two songs they wore out.
Old 06-03-2005, 13:45   #84
Senior Member+

I am surprised that Chaigley Manor never got mentioned.I know that it does not belong to Accrington but so many Accrington Youngsters got a break there including myself
Old 09-03-2005, 14:56   #85
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlass
I just finished reading all the nostalgia threads. I am sitting here with a smile on my face, a sigh on my lips and warmth in my heart. I have not had anyone to remember with for many, many years. I recall the Empire as one of my favourite places way back when. Hmm I recall all the blackburn lads that filled the Empire back in the early sixty's. Ahh that formation dancing too, my goodness that just popped into my head. Sea Of Heartaches and Save the Last Dance for me. I wonder how many recordings of those two songs they wore out.
Ah, oldlass, what memories! - Spit mascara in that cramped Ladies, all the lads stuck firmly against the wall and the girls walking round arm in arm. And what to do with your handbag - whether to leave it in the cloakroom and stick your lipstick, comb and money down your bra (some odd-looking boobs around in those days!) or cart it round and have to dance round it.

And you always knew when it was nearly over because of Sea of Heartbreak - can still remember all the words! And those invitations to a walk(!) down Whiteash from heavy breathing youths ... not telling whether I went or not. And those frocks with all the underskirts, like looking up a hen's bottom!

Aahhh - memories!
Old 09-03-2005, 21:17   #86

I have been clicking on to accrington web for the last couple of years but at no time as madam harkers dance academy had a mention alright you are saying never heard of it but in the fifties quite a lot of teenagers learnt there first dance steps there and from there progressed to the Ritz or up the Con where was it you ask facing the warners arms on church street along side st james church wall the building is long gone but the memories linger on Although a fairly small building the dance floor could take quite a few dancers and madam harker herself was always in charge no band but a good selection of records and the main thing never any trouble or drunken behaviour
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 21:22   #87
mez
God Member

yes i too was an empire girl, i still bop to sea of heartaches & the like i go to the rock & roll at least once a month, i used to hate it when the girls from b/burn came over, they actually thought they were the bee's knees.never mind the walks, pendy it was warmer in the church railway waiting room
Old 10-03-2005, 17:58   #88
Resting in peace

Does anyone remember going to the Con? or Knowlmere Street on a Sunday afternoon?

I missed out on a lot, because I went off to boarding school near Manchester at 16, and when I came back, moved to Blackburn.

Spring Hill Methodists disco on Saturday night, anyone?
Old 21-03-2005, 11:04   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik Dickinson
I am surprised that Chaigley Manor never got mentioned.I know that it does not belong to Accrington but so many Accrington Youngsters got a break there including myself
I remember Chaigley Manor. Went there with a schoolfriend(through school) and ended up getting tonsillitus so everybody else got sent home and I ended up in bed for a week. But I enjoyed it before I got laid up.
Old 21-03-2005, 19:36   #90
Senior Member+

Like i say it was a local focus point for a lot of families through the ages

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..