Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2005, 13:42   #76

Re: Accy Characters

So is he still alive? Wonder if he's still eating cigarettes.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-04-2005, 13:50   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

was still alive last summer,saw him from a distance.fortunatly
Old 02-05-2005, 19:12   #78
Senior Member+

Your Michael Jackson impersonator is still alive and well too! he lives in Blackburn which is why we see a lot less of him now,and thankfully he doesn't know where I work now.He was a right pain when he kept coming into Our Price;though the novelty value was entertaining for a while!
Old 15-05-2005, 18:47   #79

Does anyone remember the little old lady(she seemed it then) who had the chippy accross from the old Accy baths? she always had a smile.
Then there was May who lived at the bottom of Stanley St with her dolls & pram who if you knocked on her door would chase you wearing swimming goggles & pushing the pram (much to my shame)
Another Character was "Parky" who used to go through the bins on market days along with Rumple
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2005, 06:44   #80
Senior Member+

Remember the little old lady at the chippy.The other ones are news to me .
Old 27-06-2005, 12:03   #81
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie
I'm sure most of you remember "Dancin' Billy"and co, who used to hang out round the front of the market hall, putting the world to rights over a bottle or two of cream sherry.

And Sid, Accringtons horseracing tipster who used to sell newspapers outside Redmans in the early 60s.
dancing billy,knew him from late 60s when he came back from america,was some sort of electrician,but never knew him work here,apprently took to drink after a family bereavment,always putting the world to rights,but never harmed a fly.he died a few years ago 4/5,the vicar was amazed that somebody of his nature should get over 100 mourners,which i doubt if i will !
Old 23-11-2005, 19:21   #82
God Member

what about the Michael Jackson Impersonator 15 years ago. Used to moonwalk in front of the Market Hall, now oining folk in Blackburn
Old 09-04-2007, 13:55   #83

Remember Joe Morts near the railway arch? dance place , he always had his alsation dog at the top of the stairs, you had to climb the stsirs to pay and enter the dance place, it was very dark lol but there were lots of Characters who went up Morts.
VALJExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 13:56   #84

we always went everyWednesday because it was free if you got there before 7pm
VALJExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 14:13   #85
Junior Member+

Yes, I remember trying to get there before 7pm. You'd get a "stamp" on the back of you're hand, if you wanted to go out again.
If my memory serves me correctly, when I first went there (1959?) there was no men's toilets, they had to go across the road to public ones. I was there the night they announced that Big Bopper etc had died in a plane crash.
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 14:44   #86
Beacon of light

Sadly, I never made it to Joe Morts...though all my friends went.....Knowlemere Street too. My mother had these places down as Dens of Iniquity,and I was left in no doubt as to what would happen to me if my mother ever found out I had been to either of those haunts.
Her dislike of those places made them seem all the more intriguing. Made me want to go more than ever.....but I was always sure that she would find out some way if I ever went...so I never did.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 15:52   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
Oooh Grego, I remember Spaghetti woman. An extremely abusive old ??Italian lady who used to eff and blind at everybody....
I think that this lady could have been Katarina Azzapardi (Maltese). I know her name because of my job (as was).
I once stopped my car in a side street to allow her to cross -she slammed her furled umbrella on my bonnet as 'thanks'.
The scene was a bit like the famous 'Granny and the air bag' on YouTube, except that I stopped voluntarily and didn't pip my horn, and air bags hadnt been invented then.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 12:31   #88
Resting in peace

Joe the Pole was like that Margaret, he used to step out in the road, he wouldn't get away with it today. He used to sit in the bus shelter at the as was Grammar School on Blackburn Road.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 18:15   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Sadly, I never made it to Joe Morts...though all my friends went.....Knowlemere Street too. My mother had these places down as Dens of Iniquity,and I was left in no doubt as to what would happen to me if my mother ever found out I had been to either of those haunts.
Her dislike of those places made them seem all the more intriguing. Made me want to go more than ever.....but I was always sure that she would find out some way if I ever went...so I never did.
Was the one on Knowlemere street called the `arts`. I remember going there when I was about 12/13. As I walked throught the door `Out of Time` by Chris Farlow was playing and the atmosphere was electric. It was the first time Id ever been anywhere like it. Also the Disco over the top of Catlows fruit and veg, you got a stamp on the back of your hand there. Also if you hadnt rinced out all the soap out of your tights, it would show up all patchy, and white because of the blue lights they had on there.
Old 27-09-2007, 20:24   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
Does anybody remember the old Polish or Ukrainian guy in the 60's who always wore wellies and a dirty raincoat (summer and winter), carried a black plastic bag, and walked on the sides of the pavements, and then would jump quickly into the road to face an oncoming car, and then just a quick jump back on the pavement.  He would then smile at the amazed and annoyed motorist, bow and say "Thank you".

He was really harmless, but would bow to people, or give them a Nazi salute if he thought they were formal.  he talked to himself a lot, as if he always had a companion.

Once in the saloon bar of the Commercial Pub, he walked in, bowed to the assembled drinkers.  Asked the barman for "A Pint of Mild, Please"...the barman (who was new), pulled a pint, and put it on the bar.  Old "joe" or whatever he was called, simply bowed, said "Thank you" and promptly walked out ;D ;D
He was still jumping in front of cars on Blackburn Road nr the Sacred Heart and shooting them with his walking stick in the mid 80's
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..