Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Nostalgia aint what it used to be...
Donate! Join Today

Nostalgia aint what it used to be... The "I remember when......." section is finally with us - lets reminisce!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-09-2004, 00:35   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Accy Characters

Ray Linden started off in the church st arcade (didnt he sell baby clothes) then he kept the shop and opened a market stall, my mum knew Ray I think he used to go to Bowdens cafe for his dinner.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-09-2004, 07:28   #47
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Ray Lindens was on the corner of Peel St and Abbey St, the big building near the Post Office. I think that was the location of the store in the 80's from what I remember. I don't know where it was prior to that..

Ali's market stall was roughly opposite Peels Chemist on Broadway. I worked on there to cover for a mate in about 1982 ish..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2004, 07:42   #48
Resident Waffler

I thought I remembered Ali's stall being much earlier than that and down the side of the market hall opposite what is now Wilkinsons. That is why I presumed we were talking about a different Ali. It's not such an uncommon name after all.

Mind you, with my brain cells being the way they are I can easily be wrong. I did begin to doubt the existence of Elephant St until other people remembered it too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2004, 17:54   #49
Senior Member+

Accy Characters

The building which Ray Lindon used to use was of course the old Palace Cinema
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abbeystreetja.jpg (20.6 KB, 129 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 05:26   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
The building which Ray Lindon used to use was of course the old Palace Cinema
That's right Atarah, but didn't Ray Linden start off in the shed (old Market stalls) on corner of Infant Street and Peel Street. He did move up to what was the Palace. But he had a stall before the Palace closed, and I think it was in that shed place.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 06:18   #51
Resident Waffler

I can remember fruit stalls in there but I think you may be right Darby. I somehow think there were other stalls there too but it's all very vague in the back of my mind.

Was the fish market in there? I can see the building in my mind (painted green for some reason) and it did cover quite a large area. A sort of in-between outdoor and indoor market.

Old 20-09-2004, 06:57   #52
Senior Member+

Accy Characters

In here? The second view shows it in the background. Sorry they are small and poor quality, but they are all I have.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2004, 08:16   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
In here? The second view shows it in the background. Sorry they are small and poor quality, but they are all I have.
Aye..that's it...and the second piccy has lots of rain..making it very authentic.

Thanks Atarah....where you get them from I'll never know...great stuff!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 21:08   #54
Junior Member+

Ray Linden was as said in the Arcade, and outside market as I used to work for him as a lass(how old) then he moved up to the old Palace building and still had the stalls for a bit, went bust again!? Peel Enterprises was his too, above the Shop on Abbey Street and his (step )son Steven is the Shiek with the meat wagon that used to come to the Sunday market.Moved to Blackpool ,I think after, used to live in Gt. Harwood, not sure if he is still around.
Wizardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 21:31   #55
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwash man
and for the record Ali is still trading on accy market.
The Ali that is now trading inside( new stall ,used to be Doug's) and outside corner nr front of Market hall (New market development) is the Original Ali's son.
Old 10-10-2004, 21:49   #56
Resident Waffler

Thanks for that clarification Wizardess.

Old 10-10-2004, 21:58   #57
Junior Member+

Your welcome, Do any members remember the small stocky man wiht the bob hat who was the cleaner in the gents loo on Peel street a few years ago? before the new development.
Old 03-11-2004, 15:22   #58

What about Redmans custards. they were the best in town
acertun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 17:17   #59
Junior Member+

My sisters used to work in Redmans on Sat's.Any one remember Jones's toffee shop on Nuttall Street ? and Mrs Fells Dress shop, Marshalls clothes shop on Nuttall street too.
Old 03-11-2004, 18:40   #60
Junior Member+

I remember "Ali ". You could get some good bargins from him, especially the Marks and Spencer seconds. Uncle "Dick" and his wife Sadie, she always wore a lot of makeup, well it seemed that way to me. I think they lived in Blackpool.
Judith Addison likes this.
Tybow is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..